#1 7-28-2017 2:38 AM

simon
Bristol, England
Posts: 41

URGENT : medication in New Zealand

I am travelling to New Zealand for a three month trip in November. However, I do have a few major health issues, heart and lungs, and therefore do take quite a few medicines. Carrying 3 months supply with me is going to be difficult (But not impossible) and I'd rather not.
My questions are- 1) It appears that I can get medication in NZ, is this right? I believe it will cost me about $15 each item. 2) Is there a website or someone I can email to find out whether the actual Tablets I take are available in NZ, and if not which ones would be okay to replace them (I will also check this with my cardiac Doctors).

I thank for your time.

simon.

#2 7-28-2017 7:03 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1959

Re: URGENT : medication in New Zealand

I think it would be better to carry your own medicines to NZ (with a letter from your doctor) rather than purchased in NZ.

I wouldn't know the cost of your medicines in NZ.  For NZ citizens, the government subsidise the medicines so we don't have to pay higher amount for it and you will need a prescriptions to buy a special medicines.

As a foreigner you will pay a full doctor fee if you see doctor there and make sure you have an insurance just in case something happen and you have to fly back to your country.

#3 7-30-2017 5:10 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 168

Re: URGENT : medication in New Zealand

Simon, New Zealand is not a backward country. I am sure they would have comparable medicines to what you take. I have a heart condition also and took my own medication, but would have just taken my script if I thought I was going to run out. Here is just one pharmacy I found online. I'm sure you could email them and find out your answers. http://www.unichem.co.nz/index.html

#4 7-31-2017 1:37 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5943

jacobi wrote:

Branded drugs and the exact formulations and dosages can vary internationally, even amongst countries with the same excellent standards of care. It's unlikely to matter for some things, but for others, depending how exact and rare the problems are, it might. And prescribing laws differ - there are some drugs that are more controlled in some countries than others. I'd advise having a proper chat with your doctor about how precise your regime is and what his/her understanding is of the position in New Zealand (many doctors have a surprisingly strong grasp of what their international colleagues tend to prescribe), and contact your insurers (please don't go anywhere without proper insurance).  Folks on the internet are not doctors and don't have your notes, and unless one of us is a pharmacist in New Zealand I'd find a proper professional to talk to.

#5 8-3-2017 5:44 AM

gemmapurcell
Gemma
Posts: 40

Re: URGENT : medication in New Zealand

I think you may consult with your physician about your journey. It is a long trip and you should accept the proposal which is prescribed by your doctor.

#6 10-8-2017 8:05 PM

slp09
Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 1

Re: URGENT : medication in New Zealand

We know a really good pharmacist in Home Pharmacy Grey Lynn, he will be able to tell you if there are exactly the same medicine or closely related medicine that can be substituted. Give them a buzz homepharmacy.co.nz - they have a physical store at 280 Richmond Road, Grey Lynn or go to the online pharmacy and message them.

If you are not a NZ citizen though, the cost of the medicine will varied - because you won't be subsidised. But when you get to NZ, you will definitely need to visit a local doctor (Accident & Emergency type) to get a NZ doctor prescription for the medicines.

Hope this helps.