#1 7-27-2017 1:16 AM

world-traveller123
JR
Thunder Bay, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 967

Your idea of a relaxation trip

Looking at ideas for.a relaxing trip later in October

#2 7-27-2017 2:33 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1316

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

I Always find walking in mountain areas really relaxing, could be anywhere in the world but I prefer the Alps (Switzerland or Austria) but thats got more to do with the fact I speak German pretty well ...

#3 7-27-2017 2:40 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5954

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

My idea of a relaxing break might be different from yours. It's certainly different from my husband's! So I'll give you his idea too, in case you're more like him and less like me. Takes all sorts, after all!

Husband would always say he wanted a hammock by the water, preferably on his own, and not to move for at least a fortnight. He would probably say Zanzibar for that, although I have not checked the weather for October. There is a UNESCO site and enough to do, but it's also very laid back and has hammocks.

I get twitchy just lying around. I'd aim for some low key, small scale backpacking. I'd maybe go to Georgetown in Malaysia, eat my weight in street food, then wander off to Langkawi for chilling on the beach and snorkelling. Indonesia would do the same job- a bit of hiking and visiting the Komodo dragons, then some beach time on the Gili islands. Again, I have not checked the weather for October so I can't swear it's the right time of year. Failing that I'm more mountains than beaches. October is too late for Northern Europe but I might wander off to the south of Spain- hike in the Camasita del Rey near Malaga, hire a car and visit the mountain national parks whilst the weather is still passable, then hit the restored Arab baths in Seville or C├│rdoba or Granada. And drink the wine. Spain would be cooling but still pleasant- maybe no outdoor swimming (although I've been lucky that time of year).

#4 7-27-2017 3:07 AM

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

I find that any sort of safari experience is relaxing for mind, body and spirit.
It's probably the rhythm it imposes that's so soothing ... early morning and sundown game drives, with not a lot else to do during the day except sleep, read or laze around a pool.  The food is usually fantastic, and some camps also have spas/wellness facilities attached, although this may not be your thing.
October would be a good time to visit game parks in Southern Africa, with South Africa and Namibia being the most affordable destinations (especially South Africa, with the ever weakening rand).

#5 7-27-2017 7:12 AM

aloneinthecrowd
Jutta
V├Âllenerfehn, Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 969

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

I used to travel to Greece when I want to relax. Amazing beaches, great food & wine, lovely weather, the hospitality is overwhelming. And if I get bored there are many ancient sites to visit wink

#6 7-27-2017 8:41 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 828

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

If you are looking to have a complete relax, yoga or meditation in Thailand would be good or meditation retreat by the monks where you stay in the temple

#7 7-27-2017 8:56 AM

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

It would be useful to know whether it is just the destination that you want to be stress-free, or the journey as well.
There are so many relaxing destinations to choose from, but it would help to know whether you are willing to put up with a complex travel itinerary to get there?

#8 7-27-2017 9:00 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1961

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

Pokhara Nepal.  I spent 2 weeks there doing meditation and reiki.  It was a very lay back town and peacefull.

#9 7-27-2017 9:27 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 286

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

You cant do a relaxing trip and get on an airplane, they are mutually exclusive.  Head over to Quetico Provincial Park and do a leisurely canoe trip and sweetgrass yoga but you need to do it earlier in the season as I am sure you know.   https://news.ontario.ca/mnr/en/2015/06/ … -park.html

#10 7-27-2017 11:41 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 434

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

How about the Esalen Institute in Big Sur.  You could drive down.

It wouldn't appeal to me, but since you say a cruise is not relaxing (and I agree and airplane is not relaxing) that's the best I could come up with.

If you didn't mind flying, maybe the west coast of Costa Rica on the beach.

Or you could go to the BVI and charter a sailboat with a crew.

Last edited by grandmar (7-27-2017 11:43 AM)

#11 7-27-2017 6:39 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 170

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

if i wanted to just relax then i couldn't go somewhere i hadn't been before because i'd be busy exploring. i love mountains and lakes. a log cabin with a fire and the ability to fish and read a book would be my idea of relaxing.

#12 7-28-2017 12:59 PM

pammy_robertson
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Posts: 465

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

The most relaxing place I've ever been was Rio Dulce in Guatemala. I stayed in a lodge on the river. Only access was by local boat or kayak. I spent my days chilling in a hammock reading, lazing in the river on a tube or kayaking. I went for 3 days and stayed for 8. It's incredibly beautiful.

#13 7-29-2017 7:46 PM

farquar79
nikki
Liverpool, England
Couch Potato
Posts: 29

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

My relaxation would be anywhere it is hot or even warm (I'm from Liverpool in the UK its always cold
sad ) in a hammock with a couple of good books and music on my ipod

#14 7-29-2017 8:22 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 434

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

My idea of a relaxing trip would be to be on a boat where I had good wi-fi good A/C (or heat if it was cold) and someone else was sailing the boat, cleaning the boat and cooking meals for me.  I could sit and look at the water and read.  The boat be sailing down a river or bay so I could see life going on on the shore, and would stop at interesting places and i could get off an explore - or not as I pleased.  If the boat didn't have a pool, I could get off and swim or snorkel.  If it was bad weather, the boat would stay at the dock and I could be cozy in my cabin and not have to worry.  And ideally there would be interesting people to talk to at meals, as I am not a hermit.

#15 7-30-2017 12:52 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 828

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

Flying to one of Southeast Asian countries and stay on the island with a hammock on the beach just drink and eat, no one will disturbed you. I have done it before am over stressed, need a relaxing holiday I flown to Thailand and went to Koh Tao one of the remote island away from the crowds

#16 7-30-2017 1:23 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 365

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

My idea of a relaxing trip is swinging in a hammock in the shade on a beach and watch the sea.

#17 7-30-2017 1:47 AM

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

I am sure every person must be having their own idea to relax. No two person can relax the same way. For me which is realaxation may be taxing for the other person. A lot depends upon individual preferences, nature, temperament, personal likings, dislikings etc. Although i long for such times which very rarely happen to me but still my idea is to look for peaceful places / resort in the  mountains away from city  madness and as near as possible to the natural lakes, warerfalls, forest, wildlife etc. I would just be happy roaming around alone, with family or some selected friends, would indulge in some of my favourite hobbies like sleeping , cooking, read favourite books and would not keep any connection with the outside world. I could experience this only once so far. The place was spiti valley in Himachal, India. I would personally suggest instead of looking at the ideas of others just look for what really please you most.

Last edited by sanfoodie (7-30-2017 1:52 AM)

#18 7-30-2017 3:46 AM

Posts: 3287

#19 7-30-2017 5:04 AM

#20 7-30-2017 3:53 PM

tour_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 671

Re: Your idea of a relaxation trip

I haven't traveled yet to just relax. However, I do find it relaxing if I am walking along nice beaches, islands with mountains, less touristy and crowded areas, very natural/scenic areas, less humid weather.

#21 7-31-2017 4:48 AM

smile So true!

Not True, again depends from person to person and individual taste, conditions etc. For me in order to relax I need to break my day to day routine, wants to be at the places I love or be with the people I feel comfortable even for that matter my family but certainly not at home in the same conditions.

#22 7-31-2017 7:42 AM

smile So true!

If - as you say - "it depends from person to person", then how can someone expressing their personal preference be 'Not True"?

#23 7-31-2017 9:27 AM

smile So true!

Not true in my case as I said it depends from person to person. Extremely sorry for not mentioning the same.

#24 7-31-2017 10:15 AM

sanfoodie wrote:

No worries.  As you so rightly say, each to their own preference.

#25 7-31-2017 1:52 PM

Want to stay away from..cruises as that really.creates stress
Some thing like a yoga camp or something
Like.to hear all ideas and suggestions
Be.most welcome

but I can suggest for you is to cater your trip based on your own personal idea of relaxing.

Board footer