#1 7-26-2017 2:49 PM

Philippines

Hello fellow travelers
I am planing on spending a considerable amount of time in the Philippines this coming winter from November to April. I believe I will begin in Palawan Island for about a month and then start Island hopping from there.

I would greatly appreciate any info that could help with things like renting, I really don't want to do the hostel seen if at all possible, good safe hotels are much better, I have done hostels all over the world and as I get older I think it is a younger people's gig.

Any issues with safety, changing money ect ect.

I was in the Philippines 20 years ago and fell in love with the wonderful people and I so enjoyed the food there as well. I'm sure things have changed in 20 years.

Thanks so much.

Joe.

#2 7-26-2017 11:05 PM

Re: Philippines

Philippines is certainly change from 20 years ago. I'm going home yearly to Cebu I notice there is always something new.

November to April is a good time to travel in the Philippines

I use Agoda for booking a hotels. I don't stay in hostels either, Philippines is relatively cheap country you find hotel rooms according to your budget.

Changing money: There are money changer inside shopping malls and it has a better rates than banks

#3 7-27-2017 4:17 AM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 113

Re: Philippines

I have lived in Palawan for 20 years and never had a safety issue. I suggest that you fly from Manila to Busuanga in Coron, explore the island for a few days then take the fast boat to El Nido. Once you have seen enough of the island i suggest you take one of the 3 weekly boats that leave Puerto princesa for Iloilo, but get off midway at Cuyo island and catch a boat to complete your joiuney a few days later

#4 7-28-2017 2:31 AM

Re: Philippines

Lots of domestic flights in 2017 compared to a few years back. The main gateway at Manila (NAIA) is congested, so try to avoid transiting there if crossing to the other islands. Cebu might be a better hub, there are direct flights to Puerto Princesa and other major destinations in the Visayas.

Mindanao is under martial law until the end of 2017, but hopefully by early 2018 things are much better. Six months is a lot of time to explore the Philippines, make sure you have the appropriate visa so you won't have to spend time at the immigration bureau.

You can rent and negotiate longer term once you're here, as those online will likely be more expensive. Explore the options and ask friends who are locals to help with the negotiations. If you go through the other forum threads re the Philippines, you'll get a good idea of which places to visit and stay in line with your hobbies and interests.

#5 7-31-2017 8:09 PM

Re: Philippines

Thanks everyone for your replies about the Philippines, all your input is much appreciated. CHEERS.

#6 8-2-2017 2:19 PM

koonal
AL
New England, United States
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 354

Re: Philippines

"...I am planing on spending a considerable amount of time in the Philippines this coming winter from November to April."

Have you looked into your visa requirements since you are staying for over 30 days.

https://www.worldtravelguide.net/guides … port-visa/

"Any issues with safety, changing money ect ect."

Before I leave on my overseas trips I notify my credit card and debit card providers and let them know I will be overseas.  I don't want my banks or credit unions suspecting credit card fraud when withdrawals suddenly start coming from overseas.

I never rely on a single debit card for my spending money.  A single debit card could be stolen, lost or you might damage it so that it will not work in an ATM.    I always have more than one credit card too.   You never know if you may need hospitalization because of accidents or other sickness you have to pay for.

When I get money from an ATM I prefer to use an ATM that is in or near the parent bank.  And I make my withdrawals during the hours the bank is open.   I prefer to NOT use ATMs late at night or in remote areas far from the parent bank.   The reason why is that if your card does not return from the ATM or you have other problems the nearby bank (hopefully) can open the ATM and retrieve it.   Otherwise you have to play phone tag with bank employees to get your card back.   (When I do use an ATM a few hours later I check my bank on my computer and see how much came out.)

When I withdraw from an ATM I take out the maximum I can at one time.  How much you can withdraw at one time depends on your home bank and what the ATM in the P.I. allows.

For cheap items I use pesos and not my debit card.     My feeling that the less I use my card overseas for cheap stuff the less risk I have for CC fraud.

Hope something is useful in the above post.

Good luck.

Last edited by koonal (8-2-2017 2:28 PM)

#7 8-6-2017 3:15 PM

Re: Philippines

Hi. Can someone shed light on the safety on the Island of Palawan, I just heard this weekend that it is dangerous and that Mindanao is a must stay away, hope my info is wrong.

#8 8-6-2017 3:27 PM

Thanks.

David (davejo) above lives in Puerto Princesa Palawan, you can sent him a message

#9 8-6-2017 6:10 PM

Thanks.

Palawan isn't dangerous as long as you take the usual safety precautions (don't get drunk, stoned, wasted and don't trust strangers who have no obvious reason to do business with you). Smoking in public areas is NOT ALLOWED (new Executive Order). Drugs are a big NO NO in the Philippines, people get framed, shot or at the very least, unimaginable sorts of trouble when drugs are discovered.

Mindanao is under a continuing state of martial law until the end of 2017. That is due to the rebellion staged by ISIS affiliated local terrorists in Marawi City. As Mindanao is a contiguous island, the government wants to ensure that these terrorists don't get to escape Marawi and wreak their havoc elsewhere.

Having said that, a vacation in Palawan is really a great experience. The locals are friendly, the scenery stunning, and most tourists will recommend the place for a visit.

Finally, check the weather conditions during the months you plan to visit. Rains can be induced by typhoons that are passing the Philippine area of responsibility.

#10 8-7-2017 8:06 AM

Thank you so much Nolan.
I hear all kinds of things people only seem to remember negative things and they seem to like repeating them. I can understand that, I have had negative things happen in my travels but i don't judge the country and the people because of it. It seems like every time i saw something happen there was alcohol involved..Every society has people that are very poor and desperate so one must always exercise common sense.

#11 8-7-2017 8:34 AM

Re: Philippines

From where you heard negative things about Philippines?
As long you stay in big cities and islands you'll be fine. Mindanao is not good at the moment, I have relatives there and they're evacuating to Cebu at the moment.

Just one thing I can advice to you, don't get drunk in public area. Is not good to walk at night drunk, some tourist get robbed from it. Those people telling negative things about Philippines they have bad experience during their trip. Don't listen to them 😊

If you are going to Cebu stay in Mactan island, don't stay in Cebu City, is not very safe to walk at night

#12 8-7-2017 2:52 PM

Re: Philippines

Thank you Shavy, all information is very helpful.

#13 9-25-2017 5:39 AM

EdyFicio
Ezequiel
Rosario, Argentina
Couch Potato
Posts: 5

Re: Philippines

Hi Joe. Dont miss Pangulasian Island Resort at El Nido, Palawan. We stayed there with my wife and couldt believe the beauty of the beaches. The sunsets are super romantic. We have been travelling since the 90s and this is one of the best place we knew, take a look at its website in Google.
Have a great trip!
:cool

Last edited by EdyFicio (9-25-2017 5:42 AM)

#14 9-27-2017 2:00 AM

Thank you so much Nolan.

You're welcome, Joseph.

Any savvy traveler will know that the chances of getting an unpleasant experience at least once in a lifetime of traveling is a given - but it's really how one responds to the experience itself. I've seen people who lose their cool over a simple inconvenience, and I also have TravBuddy friends who lose valuables and money at the start of their multi-month trips, and yet pick themselves up and still manage to have a fantastic time.

Alcohol should always be taken with caution - not only do we have the risk of imbibing too much, the drink itself could be drugged. That's how tourists get robbed, harassed, assaulted, and so on. In the Philippines people drink depending on many things - the budget, the company they're with, and the type of alcohol. Beer though is pretty much popular, whatever the social or economic class. But because it's fairly cheap, beer tends to be consumed to excess ... and that's where the problems start, especially in a place that's not regulated (e.g. neighborhood beerhouse, beach, etc.).

From your last visit 20 years ago, the warmth and Filipino hospitality is still the same. However a lot of people are on social media, so beware of scams, scandals and the likes that are shared on these.

#15 11-21-2017 10:49 PM

thomaspastoral
Couch Potato
Posts: 2

Re: Philippines

There are many places that you can go in the Philippines. You can start it by going into the metro and learn more about Manila. Also, in the metro itself, you'll be able to learn more about the places, the surroundings, and the hospitality of the people in Manila.

If you want to stay in Manila, there are lots of places to choose from. Real Estate companies are in boom in these places. A good and affordable place like a Condo Unit or a Room or even a Hotel Room can be good source of alternatives in choosing your rest place. Also, BnB can be found on third party sites, just make sure that everything's legit.

With all the negative things that you can see and hear about the Philippines, it remains the same that there are many and still good things that you can experience in order to learn more about the culture and the warmth of the people. As if the country itself is warm, the people can give you some positive vibes in order to make things work out and experience great things in this place.

Last edited by thomaspastoral (11-22-2017 6:28 PM)

Board footer