#1 7-23-2017 9:51 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Transport and shopping in Vancouver

I will be arriving at YVR around 1am. For my first day, I'm thinking of staying at Holiday Inn Express : Vancouver Airport - Richmond as they provide 24 hour complimentary shuttle. After that, I plan to mattress hop to a Vancouver city centre hotel. Would making my way back to YVR to take a Sky Train to town be easier than taking public buses when I have 2 big bags in tow? Are big bags allowed in Vancouver buses?

Do taxis in Vancouver accept Mastercard, Visa or Diner's Club card? If so, what is the surcharge?

Is maple syrup in Vancouver sold at similar prices as Montreal? Where is a good place to buy generic maple syrup?

Last edited by hightide (7-23-2017 9:52 AM)

#2 7-24-2017 3:25 AM

sayulita
RIvnay
Sayulita, Mexico
Couch Potato

Re: Transport and shopping in Vancouver

Taxis in Vancouver accept all types cards with you can make payment online here main reason has you do not have face the surcharge issue because surcharge depends on bank services.

#3 7-24-2017 10:29 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Taxis in Vancouver accept credit cards, taxi fare is based on meter and 15% tip is customary for a cab ride

I find the skytrain is easy, but if you prefer the bus - airport bus is destined for big bags which stored under compartment

I bought a maple syrup at souvenir shop. Prices? can't remember how much I pay in Montreal, but it certainly cheap in Vancouver than in here

#4 7-24-2017 11:18 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist

The Skytrain will be a lot quicker and will be about $1 more than the bus as you will be crossing 2 zones. If you go back to the airport though to catch it, there is a $5 fare surcharge. If you are in an airport hotel you are probably close to Bridgeport station so maybe check with your hotel shuttle if they will drop you off there instead or how much a cab would cost from the hotel to Bridgeport. Each skytrain station has Compass Card vending machines that take debit/credit.

Other option is if you know what hotel you are staying at downtown, check and see if they have a free airport shuttle, then you can just shuttle back to catch the new shuttle.

Richmond is actually a neat little area if you get the time to explore it. Very Asian (mostly Chinese) influenced. There is an Asian grocery store, TnT market, there that makes amazing coconut bread.

Here is the link for public transit in Vancouver: https://www.translink.ca/

I don't know what about the price differential between Vancouver and Quebec but you can get maple syrup pretty much anywhere. The grocery store will probably be cheaper than a souvenir shop and you can get anywhere from generic to high priced single source.

#5 7-24-2017 5:43 PM

travel_geek
Toronto, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Some cab drivers will try to claim that their credit/debit machine is "broken" in order to get you to pay cash.  Amazing the moment once you pick up the phone and dial their dispatch that somehow the machine starts working again.

Costco has the cheapest maple syrup ($10-12 per L), but you or someone needs a Costco membership.

#6 7-25-2017 12:39 PM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Thanks for the replies!

Rivnay: As I will only be in Canada for a few days, I don't plan to buy a data plan in Canada. Hence, there might be times hailing a cab along the street would be more convenient than searching for wifi to make online payment.

Good to know shavy smile
I last bought maple syrup from roadside souvenir shops in Montreal and they were cheaper than equivalent quality sold in USA supermarkets. So NickelP-- thanks for pointing out smile I will check supermarkets this time. Great idea about getting to Bridgeport station instead. 

travel_geek: Interesting big_smile Maybe they are hoping that US tourists would pay in USD banknotes at par big_smile Plus foreign tourists are less likely to ring their dispatch.

Board footer