#1 7-20-2017 6:58 AM

jake_hurst10
Couch Potato

Travelling Asia

I want to travel to Thailand and then spend atleast 6 months travelling around Asia, to places such as cambodia, Laos, Vietnam etc.

In Thailand I have a place to stay for free, In Bangkok. However if I chose to travel to another part of Thailand for around 1 month, how much money would I need on an average?

Also if anyone could help with the travelling around, E.G, best tips on getting from place to place, if there are any ways to make money while travelling and also good, less obvious locations and finally an idea on budgeting. Thanks smile

#2 7-20-2017 8:04 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: Travelling Asia

jake_hurst10 wrote:

In Thailand I have a place to stay for free, In Bangkok. However if I chose to travel to another part of Thailand for around 1 month, how much money would I need on an average?

Thailand is relatively cheap....also depends on your interest. If you go to a bar everynight it will cost you a little more. Let's say, 30-50$ a day- food, accommodation and transport

#3 7-20-2017 8:24 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

jake_hurst10 wrote:

I want to travel to Thailand and then spend atleast 6 months travelling around Asia, to places such as cambodia, Laos, Vietnam etc.

Also if anyone could help with the travelling around, E.G, best tips on getting from place to place, if there are any ways to make money while travelling and also good, less obvious locations and finally an idea on budgeting. Thanks smile

Travelling from one place to another, the best and the cheapest way is public transport. Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos has good long distance bus.

From Thailand you can travel overland with long distance bus either to Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

"If there are any ways to make money while travelling" --- you can always find a job in a bar especially in a very touristy places. In Siem Reap I've seen a lot of backpackers working in a restaurant and bars

Southeast Asia in general is really cheap, this is why is favourite for backpackers and English is widely spoken

#4 7-20-2017 9:38 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

How much money you need depends a bit on your needs, accomodation you can find everywhere in SE Asia except Singapore for $ 10 or less per night, street food for less then $ 2, beer is expensive.
In Thailand if there is a train, a sleeper is comfortable Bangkok to Hat Yai near the Malaysia border about $ 20 (no aircon), otherwise bus or minibus. In Vietnam the sleeper train is only for small people comfortable. AirAsia and other lowcost airlines can be very cheap if booked very early.
If you travel overland you can enter Thailand only 2 times per year without a visa (Thailand is constantly changing entry conditions to make live for illigal workers more difficult).

#5 7-22-2017 3:45 PM

skyter
Daniel
Rome, Italy
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

if your planning such a long and broad trip go hostels and commute by ground.
I ve met some guys/girls who lived by the day, stayed longer wherever they wished and working at the same hostels they arrived to extend their stay for free. 4/5$ meals and you can live with around 30$ a day, but you have to be fit for that lifestyle. Otherwise you can plan your roadmap in advance, find the cheapest airfares and book your beds. Depends how adventurous or planned you you want things to be

#6 7-23-2017 12:35 AM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

I say $60 a day in your plan...but then you will probably spend a lil' less and have more to splurge toward the end.

#7 8-2-2017 3:47 PM

koonal
AL
New England, United States
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

For each country you visit research the visa requirements.   For some countries you may need proof of onward travel.   For the free Visa Exemption for entering Thailand you need proof of onward travel.  This is a plane ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.  Or you need a tourist visa you obtain ahead of time from a Thai Embassy for longer stays.   

For six months you will be living off the money you have saved up.   For Thailand you cannot legally work to augment your income without a work permit.    Some "under the table" jobs won't pay a lot.   Working in a McDonalds at home will give you more money.     

Besides money for daily spending you should have a credit card or two to take care of accidents or medical problems that might come up.  Or need to return home for some family problem.   Tourists do get hurt overseas, motor vehicle accidents (often motorcycles) and sometimes doing some risky things like parasailing, bungy jumping, zip lines, undersea walks, falling off boats, etc.  (All of these things have happened to tourists and some without hospital insurance!!)

Only you know how much money you have saved up.   How much per day do you think you can come up with?   Your friend in Bangkok can also advise you.   You can eat cheap but it may be something you don't care for.   Thailand has good supermarkets, malls with food courts, familiar restaurants like McDonalds and KFC, pizza places, etc.  But if you are really out for minimum cost eating while filling you up you can eat fried rice.  It is cheap and it fills you up but it is boring!

So, research visas for each country.   The first problem you may encounter with visa or no visa is at the airport back home with your airline.  For Thailand if over 30 days you need a tourist visa! 

Do a Google search for some quick help.  Google search with your computer will give you help with "how to get from one place to another"  also Google type search will give information for daily spending for various countries.     

If you can't come up with enough money where you have a safe place to sleep and halfway decent food to eat don't stay overseas for such a long a time.    Keep in mind that some weather related issues will be present for the month you visit.   Also for Thailand high season (late November through early February) will have hotels higher priced than low season.  Highest close to Christmas and New Years holidays.

Don't rely only on a single debit card for spending money.  Lose or damage a single debit card you will be out spending money.  So have back up sources of spending money.

Don't know if you are a teenager or a retiree - keep away from dope!  Don't use it, don't hang around with people who do use it!   You end up in a Thai jail you won't like it!   If you get wasted on alcohol and give the local police a lot of crap they will throw you in the "monkey house" for a while.   You won't like being in jail especially if you are pretty!

Good luck.

Last edited by koonal (8-2-2017 3:55 PM)

#8 8-2-2017 8:29 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

Dope.....He said dope.  hahahahahahahahaha! Really? dope? 1975 baby haha!

#9 8-2-2017 11:07 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

Sept922 wrote:

Dope.....He said dope.  hahahahahahahahaha! Reall? dope? 1975 baby haha!

Dope is popular for young backpackers especially in Bangkok and they are for sale on street by vendors.

#10 8-4-2017 11:15 PM

Sept922
Explorer

I am laughing because it is an old 1970s slang and sounded funny to me. It is an old person's
word and it made me chuckle. That is all.

#11 8-7-2017 4:23 PM

koonal
AL
New England, United States
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Calling dope something else is like putting lipstick on a pig!   It's still a pig!

#12 8-7-2017 11:21 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

koonal wrote:

Calling dope something else is like putting lipstick on a pig!   It's still a pig!

Dope, wied or marihuana are all the same products. Street vendors selling it to tourist, no one get in jail for using it as long not in public. Go to your room and smoke. Putting lipstick on pig is something else unless the user is fat 😂

Last edited by shavy (8-7-2017 11:24 PM)

#13 8-11-2017 8:34 AM

SamMcColl
Couch Potato

I love Thailand also, and I think 30-50$ a day- food, accommodation and transport. You can chose private car for transfer

#14 8-11-2017 9:11 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

SamMcColl wrote:

I love Thailand also, and I think 30-50$ a day- food, accommodation and transport. You can chose private car for transfer

Private car is expensive, Thailand is easy to travel with public transport

#15 8-11-2017 2:32 PM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

agree, public transport in Thailand is good and private car is expensive but still cheap compare with Europe.
I used  private car and taxi many times and it cost around Thb 1000 - 1500 per day including car, petrol and driver.  It is convenient if you need to go places, and if you have 2-4 people.

Taxi from airport to city centre cost around THB 250-400.

The estimate budget given by other tbs was good.  It is really hard to tell someone how much they actually need to budget as each individual has different need and preference. For example what kind of accommodation do you prefer, what kind of food will you eat, transport, sightseeing, etc, etc.

YOu can check from internet or guide book how to get from point A to B and adjust to your interest and what you want to see in the country.  Some people might like certain things but probably you wouldn't like it.

Regarding making money while travelling in SEA, probably you would not make much as SEA would not pay much for a backpacker.  It is better to work in your own country if you can earn good money and then travel to SEA.
Good luck

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer