#1 7-15-2017 5:34 PM

world-traveller123
JR
Thunder Bay, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 966

hotels and Bank Cards

Can you pay for hotels in USA and CAnada with a Bank Card? interac or Cash
as it seems all only accept credit cards only?

#2 7-15-2017 6:11 PM

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

What is a Bank Card?  What is Interac?  (I know what cash is smile and they probably do not accept cash as they don't want the robbery liability. Although we tip the maids in cash)

Last edited by grandmar (7-15-2017 6:15 PM)

#3 7-15-2017 10:43 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5914

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

Does the bank card carry a Visa debit logo? You can use a visa debit travel same way you use a visa credit card.

#4 7-15-2017 11:54 PM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 625

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

I'm not sure about Canada, but haven't had problems paying cash for hotels in USA. It is the incidentals that US hotels often only accept credit card (or debit/gift card with Visa/MC/Discover/Amex logo) for pre-authorisation. When I have a boatload of coins left, I request to pay part cash using the coins and charging the rest on a credit card.

Is interac the short for Inter-account transfers? -- I would think it's possible, especially for corporate bookings. However, I don't know whether hotels accept them on a personal stay.

#5 7-16-2017 4:53 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 112

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

Interac does not exist outside Canada.

As mentioned above, if a bank card has a Visa or MasterCard logo, you'll be fine. Otherwise do not expect the card to be accepted.

#6 7-16-2017 7:10 AM

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

So is what you call a Bank Card, what we would call a Debit Card?  Most of the debit cards I've seen look just like a credit card (with the Visa or MasterCard logo) except that someplace on them it says that they are a debit card.  I would expect those to be accepted

#7 7-16-2017 7:44 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 734

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

I don't think debit card is acceptable - our debit card with Maestro logo is not acceptable in America, but withdrawing cash in ATM machine works

Debit card is also available with visa/master card logo- is what we called prepaid credit card and is worldwide acceptable.

Paying cash in hotels in USA yes is possible, I've done it a couple of times.

#8 7-16-2017 2:02 PM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 625

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

If you are loyal to a particular chain such as Hyatt, I suggest you buy gift cards for less than face value in advance and use them as your payment method.

#9 7-17-2017 1:45 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1306

grandmar wrote:

So is what you call a Bank Card, what we would call a Debit Card?

Yep thats the one!

If the Visa or MasterCard logo is on it it should work just fine

#10 7-17-2017 4:50 PM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 112

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

Keep in mind that there are (or can be) two separate payment needs by the hotel:

(1) The payment for the room upon check-in.
(2) The (possible) payment for incidentals or damage upon check-out.

Payment (1) can always be done via a debit card, but some chains will only accept a credit card, NOT a debit card, for Payment (2), since in-person debit card transactions often require the cardholder to enter their PIN. Also, a merchant can "pre-authorize" an amount on a credit card (but never actually bill it). This cannot be done (at least not easily) on a debit card.

A similar example is gas stations. You can always use a credit card at the pump, but many gas stations require debit card holders to pay at the cashier in advance. It's for the exact same reason: You cannot (easily) pre-authorize a debit card.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by CMTinPHX (7-17-2017 4:53 PM)

#11 7-21-2017 5:58 PM

neo_dare_devil
Kharlo
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 193

world-traveller123 wrote:

Can you pay for hotels in USA and CAnada with a Bank Card? interac or Cash
as it seems all only accept credit cards only?

I have only used credit cards both with VISA and MASTER Card logo in Canada but I don't see any reason why hotels would not accept cash . I find it more convenient to use credit card because they will require it anyway for damage deposit purposes.

#12 7-21-2017 9:42 PM

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

I looked at some hotel websites to see what kind of payment they would accept and I saw credit card types listed and overlooked the ability to pay cash  I am pretty sure that debit cards are accepted as payment

It has been over 50 years since I have had a hotel ask me for any kind of damage deposit - it just doesn't come up.

This is what one hotel says is acceptable

Currency US Dollar
Discover
JCB
MasterCard
Visa

I am guessing the Maestro was not accepted because it wasn't one of the types listed, and not because it was a debit card.

#13 7-21-2017 11:12 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1637

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

A debit card and pre paid are technically not the same in the US. There are different banking rules for both. If a debit card has enough on it to cover the value of the room many places accept it. I never had a problem using a debit card to book a room, but I know more expensive places won't do it. The value of the room is not just the room charge but sometimes the more expensive things in it. It you have say 10,000 on a debit card and you are booking a $100 motel room with a cheap TV and stuff, usually there won't be an issue holding a room deposit. They don't ask you about it they just do it. My bank told me about it. Since there was more than enough cash on hand for the deposit it was no issue. Car rental places on the other hand are more difficult with debit cards.

In the US most debit cards are issued with a visa or MC logo. Overseas many bank cards are not.

Last edited by Sept922 (7-21-2017 11:13 PM)

#14 7-22-2017 9:34 AM

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

I guess I don't stay in expensive enough places.  smile  so I never needed a damage deposit. I still don't understand the difference between a pre-paid and a debit card, but since I don't have either one, I guess I do not need to know.

Last edited by grandmar (7-22-2017 9:35 AM)

#15 7-23-2017 12:42 AM

Sept922
Posts: 1637

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

A debit card comes directly from your bank account...the pre paid is a credit card (sort of) that you transfer money to in whatever amount you want. The money does not come out of your regular account when you use it as it is not attached when you use it. You can fill it up at many grocery stores or drug stores in the states and never connect to your bank at all if you want. There are many ways and they are easy to get. Many people in the states with money problems get turned down by regular banks so they buy pre paid credit/debit cards at almost any major grocery or drugstore chain and load money on it. Most have a visa or MC logo but the rules are different from actual debits many times. The small print is way too much to explain.

I travel with one as an option.

Last edited by Sept922 (7-23-2017 12:42 AM)

#16 7-23-2017 7:52 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 276

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

a prepaid card is a good way to limit ones exposure to fraud.

#17 7-23-2017 8:55 AM

Re: hotels and Bank Cards

OK - I didn't know that there was a pre-paid card that was not attached to a bank account.  Sounds like a good idea even if you have a bank account.  At one time I had a debit card that was attached to a stock account, but they changed to a regular credit card.  That's still the one I would use if I were to try to get money from an ATM.  I tried it in rural England and was not successful and we had to go to a post office to change money.  (The bank would not do it as we were not customers)

Board footer