#1 7-15-2017 12:31 AM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I

Medellin, Colombia

Hey folks? has anyone been in Colombia recently? I have all sorts of good information available but I really would like to see if any Travbuddies have been and how your trip went!

#2 7-15-2017 5:44 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17592

Re: Medellin, Colombia

I spent three months in Colombia last year. Loved it. Not Medellin but the small towns around it especially Jardin. Cartagena a must. Bogota worth a look and Villa de Lleiva nearby a must. Zipaquira a must.

Santa Marta and nearby Tangana and Minca musts  too. I did not visit Tayona  National Park but most people love it.

Well known Travbuddy Shane runs a Facebook group with lots of useful info:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/792306867 … =bookmarks

#3 7-17-2017 5:40 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 403

Re: Medellin, Colombia

Im dying to go. Mainly for the Escobar tour which takes you to his mentions, hideouts and place he was killed.

#4 7-17-2017 11:37 AM

I'll be travelling around Colombia in December. Let us know how your trip then

Last edited by shavy (7-17-2017 11:40 AM)

#5 7-17-2017 9:14 PM

Re: Medellin, Colombia

I have no interest in Escobar, but there are many youtube videos of Cartagena and Medellin that are getting me excited!

#6 8-25-2017 9:27 AM

leavinggringolandia
Brittany
Cali, Colombia
Posts: 3

Re: Medellin, Colombia

I've lived in Colombia for the past year and it's amazing! I'm planning to stay long term. I lived in Bogotá my first four months and I've lived in Cali for the past 8. I've also traveled to other major cities such as Cartagena, Santa Marta, Medellín, and a bunch of smaller towns, too.

The people in Colombia are super friendly and each city has its own special charm. Feel free to message me with any questions you have!

You can also check out my blog where I've written a lot of articles about Colombia. It's called Leaving Gringolandia

#7 8-25-2017 9:57 AM

leavinggringolandia wrote:

While you are here, I'd like to asked something: have you been to Cano Cristales River? if you do, how do you get there? I'll be in Colombia in december

#8 8-25-2017 10:13 AM

fransglobal wrote:

Well known Travbuddy Shane runs a Facebook group with lots of useful info:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/792306867 … =bookmarks

I'm working on our itinerary for Colombia in december, we are flying to Santa Marta and we staying in Tangana. Tayrona is in our list, I see you been to Minca. Is it really worth to see Minca? what is to see there Frans? I see only mountains with small waterfalls

I don't have access to Shane's facebook smile

Last edited by shavy (8-25-2017 3:22 PM)

#9 8-25-2017 9:09 PM

Re: Medellin, Colombia

Thanks Brittany! I may ask a thing or two. I am flying into Cartagena for ...4-6 days. Depends on how I am enjoying myself. Then I will fly to Medellin. I am a city person and meet people and hang out. I may see a small town or two or take a Coffee plantation tour but I am not a countryside person for the most part. Probably head over to Guatape for a day. This is my first time and I only have a couple of weeks. If I enjoy it then there of course can be another!

#10 8-29-2017 10:12 AM

leavinggringolandia
Brittany
Cali, Colombia
Posts: 3

shavy wrote:

I haven't been yet because when I actually had time it wasn't a good time to visit it sad But I do know how to get there.

It's located outside of a small town called La Macarena. The first thing you need to do is get to Villavicencio. You can either fly or take like a 3 hour bus ride from Bogotá. If you took a bus, take a taxi to the airport in Villavicencio. From there, you're going to take a super tiny plane to La Macarena and from there you can find transportation to bring you. I've also heard that it's possible to find a direct flight between Bogotá and La Macarena, but you'd have to do more research into that. The town is only reachable by flight.

It's difficult to get to but I've heard it's 100% worth it! I hope you have a nice trip smile

#11 8-30-2017 9:23 AM

Re: Medellin, Colombia

Thank you Brittany. Yes I've done some research of how to get to Cano Cristales, some say the easiest way is flying to La Macarena and highly recommended to have a guide or joined the tour as the river is located in a jungle. I'm going to look for tours when we arrive in Bogota

#12 8-30-2017 10:18 AM

rowlo
Cian
Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7

Re: Medellin, Colombia

Hey, I lived there for 5 months last year, absolutely loved it, ask away with any questions!

Board footer