#1 7-12-2017 8:52 AM

Daromele
Darowan
Houston, Texas
Couch Potato

Prague and Berlin

Hi Travel Buds!
I just booked my tickets from Houston to arrive in Prague on 8/30/17 and Berlin back to Houston 9/9/17. The plan is to take the train from Prague to Berlin either on Saturday or Sunday.

My questions are
1. Hostel recommendations for Prague and Berlin. I enjoy hostels that are designed so the residents can easily socialize. Also looking for hostels within walkable distances to the city center.

2. Recommended "must sees" in both cities. I enjoy a variety of things and I am pretty open to trying anything at least once :-)

3. Any additional travel tips welcome!

Thanks

#2 7-12-2017 9:28 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: Prague and Berlin

Must sees? both cities are plenty to see
For Berlin here's my most important thing to see:

- Berlin Wall
-Berliner Dom
- Brandenburger Tor
- Alexanderplatz
- Fernsehturm

For Prague:

Wenceslas Square
The National Theater
The Zizkov television tower
Saint Vitus Cathedral
Prague castle
Charles Bridge
The Old Town
Mala Strana

Enjoy your trip to these two beautiful cities

#3 7-12-2017 9:43 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Not a fan of Berlin. Huge fan of Prague. You could consider stopping off in Dresden between them. It's beautiful.

#4 7-12-2017 10:39 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

By the way, Hamburg is just a short ride by train from Berlin. Another beautiful city of Germany, the city also offers a huge wealth of culture

#5 7-12-2017 12:04 PM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

hostel in berlin: ONE80 - ive booked here 2x, great atmosphere. located at alexanderplatz - very central. with sbahn, metro, regional train and tram connections. there's always a party at night. you have a fantastic view of the tower. its walkable from the brandenburg gate, tower, museuminsel, the cathedral, synagogue, jewish memorial, reichstag, museum of natural history etc. everywhere at alexanderplatz you have bakeries, cafe's and restaurants to eat in a budget way.

museuminsel (museum island) - you could see ancient babylonian and ancient egyptian collections. for example the gate of ishtar and the bust of queen nefertiti.

tiergarten - the largest zoo in the world in terms of animal collections and at the intersection is the victory column (siegessaüle). its a long walk from alexanderplatz connecting but doable.

east side gallery - a remnant of the berlin wall, where artists from around the wolrd exhibit their art for free - the most famous of the mural and my favorite is: My God, Help Me to Survive This Deadly Love.

for the boroughs - berlin friedrichshain - techno music, punks and the legendary berghain club.

berlin prenzlauer berg - small cafes, bohemian, chic. - my favorite borough in the city.

#6 7-12-2017 1:12 PM

HORSCHECK
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

It might make sense to book your train ticket Prague to Berlin in advance on the www.bahn.de website.

The earlier you book the cheaper prices are possible. Of course that way you will lose some flexibilitiy, as your ticket will be fixed to one train connection on a certain day, but if you are travelling on a budget it is the best way to get a bargain.

#7 7-13-2017 4:49 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Walking distance to city center in Berlin doesn't make sense to me in looking for accommodations.  You will need to use transit to see a wide variety of sights, so getting a Berlin Visit pass for the U- and S-Bahns is recommended.  Prague center is more compact, but using the trams still makes sense.

When in Berlin last year, I spent a day in Potsdam, and most of a day at the Technology Museum.  Other days were for museum island and other popular spots.

In any case, you will need more time in both cities for the next trip.

#8 7-16-2017 9:02 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

My brother lives in Prague, so I visit quite often, and always find something new and interesting to explore.

You've had the mainstream tourist attractions listed above, so I won't repeat those.

I really enjoy the madcap sculpture of Prague's favourite 'enfant terrible', David Cerny, who is best known for the 'walking Trabant' sculpture in the grounds of the US Embassy (commemorating the Czech Republic's pivotal role in the fall of the Iron Curtain) and many other quirky sculptures around town.  I love his creepy faceless bronze babies who crawl all over the Zizkov Tower, and I can highly recommend the bar in the tower as a venue for sundowners.

If you're interested in seeing more of his work, follow this link (my favourite is the one where you can peer into the backside of the politicians, although when I visited, the audio/visual component of politicians feeding each other to the soundtrack of 'We are the Champions' was sadly not working): http://www.boredpanda.com/bizzare-sculp … vid-cerny/

By far my favourite part of town is the citadel of Vyšehrad, which commands a fabulous vista over the Vltava River, and is reputedly the site of the first settlement in Prague.  The Church of St Peter and St Paul is a veritable jewel box, with every surface of the interior covered with Art Deco depictions of saints who have a particular link to Central/Eastern Europe.  The adjacent Slavin cemetery is also a fantastic place to wander around, with some brilliant funereal sculpture and features the graves of many Czech notables (including the local composer, Bedric Smetana, to whose grave there is a procession from central Prague each year).  The surrounding park is also lovely, as are the beer gardens overlooking the river smile

If you're into art, don't miss the tributes to another (adopted) local yokel, Alfonse Mucha, whose wildly romantic artwork you'll see on everything from tea towels to fridge magnets.  The Mucha Museum is brilliant in detailing his amazingly diverse and creative life (designing everything from tour posters for Sarah Berhardt to Czech postage stamps), but if there's only time to do one thing, then visit his mindblowingly brilliant and staggeringly large masterwork, the Slav Epic.  He bequeathed this series of 20 outsize paintings detailing the history of the Slavic people to the State, but it was so large that it took them decades to find a suitable display venue in Prague.  It was on display at the National Gallery's Veletržní Palace when I last visited, although this arrangement was meant to extend up until the end of 2016 - you'll need to check (excuse the pun) where it is now .. my guess is that it's so huge that nobody will want to want to move it smile

Lastly, don't miss the Hunger Wall - a 'make work' project commissioned by Charles IV during a famine in the 1360s (which probably had as much to do with cheaply reinforcing city fortifications as feeding the starving) and the moving Holocaust Memorial sculpture at its base.  This is a fairly short distance from the iconic 'Fred and Ginger' Dancing Building by Frank Gehry and Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius, where those Czech patriots involved in the assassination of brutal Nazi Reichsprotektor Heydrich holed out and were finally killed.  A very sombre and moving place that I challenge anyone to emerge from untouched.

Last edited by harbinger (7-16-2017 9:17 AM)

#9 7-16-2017 9:29 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Whoops .. in my haste to post, I forgot to mention my favourite building in Prague, the deceptively boringly named Municipal House.

It is a gem of Art Nouveau architecture, and I love the basement restaurant because of the fabulously folksy decoration - probably best for drinks, as the food is overpriced.  And the American Bar upstairs just oozes atmosphere ... the sort of place that Ernest Hemingway might have hung out had he made it to those parts.

Just bear in mind that the places I've mentioned to drink are in the tourist areas, so the prices will reflect this.  That being said, Prague still isn't an expensive destination if you come from Western Europe/the US, so I think that the premium is well worth it in terms of history and atmosphere.

#10 7-18-2017 4:36 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

fransglobal wrote:

Not a fan of Berlin. Huge fan of Prague. You could consider stopping off in Dresden between them. It's beautiful.

I totally agree! Dresden is a beautiful city, much overlooked
Of these three I would pick Dresden anytime!

#11 7-18-2017 11:31 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

harbinger wrote:

Whoops .. in my haste to post, I forgot to mention my favourite building in Prague, the deceptively boringly named Municipal House.

It is a gem of Art Nouveau architecture, and I love the basement restaurant because of the fabulously folksy decoration - probably best for drinks, as the food is overpriced.  And the American Bar upstairs just oozes atmosphere ... the sort of place that Ernest Hemingway might have hung out had he made it to those parts.

Just bear in mind that the places I've mentioned to drink are in the tourist areas, so the prices will reflect this.  That being said, Prague still isn't an expensive destination if you come from Western Europe/the US, so I think that the premium is well worth it in terms of history and atmosphere.

There are quite a lot of interesting Art Nouveau and Art Deco buildings in Prag and a loveley but expensive Art Nouveau Hotel to stay
http://www.hotel-imperial.cz/en/
http://artnouveau.pagesperso-orange.fr/ … prague.htm
https://livingprague.com/architecture-d … hitecture/

#12 7-19-2017 1:08 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

In my opionion

Top Attraction in  Berlin :

Tiergarten
Potsdamer Platz
Museum Island
Brandenburg Gate
Berlin Wall
Berliner Dom
Alexanderplatz
Fernsehturm

For Prague:

Powder Tower
Dancing House
Old New Synagogue
Mala Strana
Prague castle
Charles Bridge
The Old Town
Wenceslas Square
Saint Vitus Cathedral

#13 7-19-2017 5:03 AM

alisyed88
Syed
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Couch Potato

I do remember my visit to Prague. I started my journey from Italy (Vicenza) by car crossing Austria, Germany and then enter to Czech Republic. Prague is beautiful with its classic architecture. The architecture is combination of Russian and Roman empires. You can have cheap food as well in the Prague.

City has
Powder Tower
Classics Charles Bridge
Dancing House
Astronomical Clock
Prague Castle. Way towards is extremely beautiful with the large steps. You can have the top city seeing from that castle.
Saint Vitus Catherdal

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer