#1 7-12-2017 3:39 AM

Canada/Jasper Advice needed!

Hey, posted on tripadvisor for advice too but would like to see what you guys here can give me!

Going to stay in Jasper, Athabasca Falls for a month, won't have a car since I'm only just learning in to drive in the UK. However, a lot of the hiking trails are a good hour away and I'll probably have to get a taxi. Are taxi's in Jasper expensive? Will the Sundog tours pick me up from my location near Athabasca Falls? Would bike rental be a good idea (I'm quite fit and in good shape)? Is hitchhiking alone a common thing in Jasper? I'd love to see the glaciers, it's on the top of my to-do list!

Any other advice is greatly appreciated in terms of what to do that's possibly nearer to Athabasca falls, info like tipping, wildlife tips, etc!!

Thanks
Ellie
p.s. I am going alone if that makes any difference.

#2 7-12-2017 5:57 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 294

Re: Canada/Jasper Advice needed!

trip advisor is crap, way too many fake reviews.

#3 7-12-2017 8:25 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 131

Re: Canada/Jasper Advice needed!

I am not sure they have taxis. I was there in June and it is a very small place. You will need bear spray!!! There were times we saw up to 7 bears a day on the road. There are some shuttles in the area for tourists.

Where are you staying?

#4 7-12-2017 9:08 AM

Re: Canada/Jasper Advice needed!

Staying at Athabasca Falls Hostel, so there will be plenty of people back and forth I could possibly hitch a ride with and pay a share of fuel, etc, there any good bike rental places there?
Also can I purchase bear spray IN Jasper because I am unsure places in the UK will do bear spray since the most dangerous predator we have is possibly a hungry fox or an angry swan!

#5 7-12-2017 9:10 AM

Belgium
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I

Re: Canada/Jasper Advice needed!

Wow you'll be staying in the middle of nowhere Athabasca falls is in a remote area

Why are you staying near Athabasca falls?, while there are plenty of hostel or guesthouses in the center.  I think you will be more comfortable staying in the center than near Athabasca falls. The center of Jasper is very small

Yes there are a few taxis in Jasper and most guesthouse provides bicycle, I don't dare to bike  outside the center

During our drive to Maligne lake and Athabasca falls in the morning we saw some wildlife on the road

Going to the glacier- I think is easy to join in a tour.

Visitors to Jasper mostly rent a car, inside the railway station there's a few offices for rent a car, but if you say you don't have a license yet, then is too bad

Banff has a good public transport- and there are few hiking trails

#6 7-12-2017 9:13 AM

ellr wrote:

Yes bear spray is available in visitor center they sale for about 20$ if I remember. And also asked an information about bear attacks, the park ranger is very helpful and can explain of what to do if bear attacking you

Last edited by shavy (7-12-2017 9:14 AM)

#7 7-12-2017 12:10 PM

Re: Canada/Jasper Advice needed!

I'm staying there because I'm doing it via workaway and most larger hostels tend not to do workawaying (if you're not sure what it is, it's when a host will offer a free bed in exchange for work so I'll be cleaning rooms, collecting/chopping firewood etc for a few hours a day for a place to stay!)

Thanks for the heads up on bear spray, I'll purchase them enroute to the hostel! Though on my way back to the airport I may stay over in Banff for a few days to a week.

#8 7-13-2017 9:16 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 131

Re: Canada/Jasper Advice needed!

You will not be able to fly or enter the country with bear spray. Going over the boarder they asked us about bear spray.

I did not go through Athabaska Falls.

#9 7-13-2017 10:39 AM

ellr wrote:

Ah ok I understand why you are staying near AThabasca falls. Yes if you can stay for free that save you some money, the most expensive cost in Canada is the accommodation. Just be careful with bears in Jasper, you need the bell and spray if you go on hiking. We have it with us everytime, luckily we never used it smile

#10 7-13-2017 11:36 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 129

shavy wrote:

ellr wrote:

Don't bother with bear bells, most people will tell you they aren't effective and they are too high pitched which will attract rather than deter a bear. If you are hiking, hiking in a group is best, make noise, sing, clap. Remember with bear spray to keep it within grabbing distance and that it does have limitations based on distance, wind direction etc.

Also, in Jasper you have both black and grizzly bears (black bears tend to be shyer while grizzly bears tend to be more aggressive) and both require slightly different things. For example, you always hear about playing dead and while that can work with a grizzly, it's not recommended for black bears. Mostly they just want to be left alone.

I've been lucky so far in that while I've passed fresh bear poop, I haven't actually seen a bear (apparently they show up either just before or just after I've passed through an area) though I'll be spending a few days in the backcountry so that might change.

Just practice bear safety and remember how many people spend time in the woods versus how many people are actually attacked by bears. Park rangers in the area will have up to date information of areas to stay away from.

Oh and enjoy Canada!

#11 7-14-2017 6:11 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 161

Re: Canada/Jasper Advice needed!

I've done some hiking in the area and find that the locals will be kind to give you a ride if you're hitching, however the problem is that you may have to wait a while on these remote areas.  Just bring some extra water and rations to wait in comfort.  And if the weather changes, even on a hot summer day, it can get quite cold, so just be safe if you're on your own and keep a few layers in your bag.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer