• Forums Index

Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17593

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

And  there's so much more to Europe than cities. These are my favourite places in Europe, some are cities but some not:

#27 7-10-2017 6:17 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 116

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

If nightlife is a priority then I would suggest Berlin or Dublin along with Barcelona.

If distance is not a concern, then I would suggest Prague or Vienna.

You'd certainly get three very different clicks on the Viewmaster™ with Amsterdam, Prague/Vienna and Barcelona.

Last edited by CMTinPHX (7-10-2017 6:20 AM)

#28 7-10-2017 8:34 AM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Nightlife is important, but by nightlife, I mean cool laid back bars with good beer, not clubs.  Would love to meet people in a laid back setting, not a party setting.  I'm too old for partying at clubs.

Thinking Bruges is the way to go for 2 days in the middle of the trip before heading to Barcelona.  I love Belgian beer.  Any other city I'd struggle to see the highlights in such a short time.  Bruges looks cool.

Booked hotel for Barcelona, but haven't booked the train from Amsterdam to Bruges or flight from Bruges to Barcelona.  Gotta figure that out.

#29 7-10-2017 10:58 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17593

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

On the basis of above, I'd take train from Amsterdam to Brussels. Spend a couple of nights in Brussels. Maybe do day trip to Bruges, Ghent or Antwerp. Or take train just as far as Antwerp and stay there for a couple of days. You can take train directly from Antwerp to Brussels Airport, for your onward flight to Barcelona.

There's no need to book the trains in advance though the Amsterdam-Antwerp or Brussels maybe cheaper if booked in advance.

If you do decide to stay in Bruges, you can just take train Amsterdam-Bruxelles (Midi) and then train from Bruxelles (Midi) to Bruges (Brugge). See here:  https://www.seat61.com/international-tr … m-Brussels

I think there's some trains directly from Bruges to Brussels Airport though there'll be far more frequent services by just changing train in Bruxelles (Midi). See www.sncb.be.

You can also take train from Brussels to Barcelona. See here for details:

Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 828

Atlguy wrote:

Bruges has so-called laid back nightlife smile

Train ticket is not necessary to book in advance. IC train ticket can be bought at the station on the day of your departure. Here's our railway website https://www.b-europe.com/EN

If you still looking a city to fill your time how about Brussels or Ghent

#31 7-11-2017 1:18 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 403

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Within a very short distance of Amsterdam I would strongly suggest Ghent and Brugges in Belgium. 2 amazing towns well worth seeing. I would say a day or 2 at each is enough to see everything.

You didnt mention how long your trip is. I spent 4 days in Amsterdam and felt it was a day too long. 3 days would be perfect.

Enjoy.

#32 7-11-2017 4:01 AM

saratravels
Sara
Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2

Atlguy wrote:

I've booked Amsterdam with return flight from Barcelona.  I blew it by waiting another week and it cost me a ton more miles.  Anyway, only question is what to do in the middle of the trip for 2-3 days before ending up in Barcelona.  I know I can't do Munich because I'm going too close to Oktoberfest.  Too expensive.  Keep suggestions coming please!

Hey Jeff,
Amsterdam, beautiful start for your trip! But if you are thinking about going to Germany, like Berlin, then you should definitely check out Hamburg as it is on your way and would perfectly fit those few days you are still missing! And its totally different to Berlin and Amsterdam, plus you can fly rather cheap to Barcelona. In my opinion, cologne is nice, just not on the top of the list.
Amsterdam - Hamburg - Berlin - Barcelona, I reckon that would be a great mix! Or don´t do Berlin and check out Copenhagen (although it has similarities to Amsterdam and Hamburg). But its beautiful.

Plus the nightlife in Hamburg is globally known! If you haven´t heard of it, check out "Reeperbahn", its not Vegas, its better wink (well, at least completely different) And you can choose, party or laid back bars!

If you need any more tips about Hamburg and Copenhagen, let me know, happy to help!

Last edited by saratravels (7-11-2017 4:01 AM)

#33 7-22-2017 6:19 PM

jetsetj
Seattle, Washington
Posts: 1

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

we will do Amsterdam and Barcelona on our trip this fall. I am super excited about Barcelona as i have never been. I am huge Gaudi fan and of course want to see all his works.

#34 7-24-2017 5:21 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

https://www.skyscanner.net/flights-from … lgium.html

Have a great trip!

#35 7-27-2017 1:00 PM

jetsetj wrote:

Where in Barcelona are you staying? I have 2 hotels reserved and obviously will cancel one, but can't make up my mind.

#36 9-3-2017 8:19 AM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Trip finalized and leaving this week.  Amsterdam, Hamburg, and Barcelona.  Trying to figure out all the excursions and what to do.  Walking tour, Van Gough, and maybe canal tour and bike rental is what I have panned in Amsterdam.  Ann Frank house impossible to get in.  Undecided on restaurants.  Similar issues in Spain.  Couple of tours scheduled and maybe a beach day, but anticipating a lot of aimless wandering.  Hope I don't miss too much.

#37 9-3-2017 8:40 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Posts: 5953

Atlguy wrote:

Aimless wandering is a major part of a European city break- I'd view a trip with no aimless wandering as missing too much! smile

#38 9-3-2017 11:16 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 828

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Tickets for Anne Frank house must order in advance. Before you can easily buy your ticket on the door, but the lines is too long. Rent a bike would be the easiest way to explore Amsterdam just get a map. Plenty of restaurants in Amsterdam, I wouldn't be worry about it

Same as Barcelona, all sights are stated on tourist map, if you got a map you won't miss anything 😊  be aware of long lines for ticket. September still a busy month in European cities

Hamburg is compact, I visited the city last February which was a freaking cold, but we managed to see the city in two days

Last edited by shavy (9-3-2017 11:26 AM)

#39 9-3-2017 11:38 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1961

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

if you are staying 4 days in Amsterdam and plan to see the many sights and museum, buy an amsterdam pass, 24 hours or 72 hours. It is worth it.  Included all public transport and entrance fee to many museums.
You get a special treatment with the Amsterdam pass with different line to enter the many museums.  You just go to the museum and queue at the special line for the Amsterdam pass holder.

I love the Rembrant cafe at the Rembrant museum, it serve delicious food.
My favourite restaurant in Amsterdam is Restaurant De Roode Leeuw located at the hotel Amsterdam at the center.  It serve great food but a bit pricy, however it worth every penny.

Enjoy Europe.