• Forums Index
  •  » Europe
  •  » Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

#1 7-4-2017 2:42 PM

Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

I'l be going to Amsterdam in early September and am trying to figure out 2 cities to add on to the trip.  Thinking Berlin or Munich and then somewhere in Italy or maybe Spain.  Any suggestions? I'll be traveling solo with very little knowledge of Europe.

#2 7-4-2017 5:23 PM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Do you want three completely different cities?  How long do you have?  If you were planning to use the train, I would probably pick two other cites by the train schedules.  At least you can see the country from the train and if you fly it takes a whole day.

Amsterdam, Cologne and Brussels would be a nice compact triangle.

#3 7-4-2017 5:58 PM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

I have about 10-14 days.  Somewhat flexible.  I'm locked into Amsterdam for 4 days.  Cologne might work, and I'd definitely take the train there.  Would I enjoy it as a single guy? I'm also thinking of flying to Barcelona.  Fly back to the U.S. from there.  I hear Brussels isn't worth it, though it was where I was originally thinking of going.

Last edited by Atlguy (7-4-2017 5:59 PM)

#4 7-4-2017 7:24 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1971

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Why Brussels is not worth it? Belgium was lovely and I did enjoy it and Ghent.
I think people's recommendation would be different depending on your interest. Are you looking for nightlife? Or are you interested in history or visiting museums?

#5 7-4-2017 10:42 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 426

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Brussels has good food and excellent beer and many things to see and is a short train trip from Amsterdam, to Barcelona you can find cheap airfares ( Transavia and Vueling from Amsterdam, Ryan and Vueling from Brussels) personaly I prefer Barcelona, really a fantastic town.

#6 7-4-2017 11:29 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

I was just in Munich and it is lovely , but people there told me to go to Berlin for fun and nightlife. They said it is cheaper and more relaxed!

#7 7-4-2017 11:31 PM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

It's going to depend a lot on what you're interested in. Europe has literally anything you could want. I default to historic city centres rather than cool nightlife or nice beaches and even then I could list twenty cities that fit the bill.

You will lose a half day traveling to Barcelona by the time you've added in security time and transfers. That doesn't make it a bad idea, but factor it in when you plan which cities you are going to and how many nights.

If you are planning on four nights in Amsterdam, you have time for a day trip to another Dutch city. I've always thought it a shame that people stop in Amsterdam - it's lovely but it's not the only lovely place. Delft and Leiden are both extremely pretty. Utrecht is a bit further away, but a cool university town with a lovely ancient cathedral tower to climb. Rotterdam was completely destroyed in World War Two, which means it is not at all pretty, but it has some fascinating mad post war architecture if that's your thing and you can abseil off the 120m euromast. And Den Haag has seaside at Schreveningen. You can't do more than one or two of those trips but you could definitely spend one day out of the city. Dutch rail is generally reliable and affordable, and none of those cities are a long journey.

I've only had a day trip to Cologne, when I was living in Utrecht. The cathedral is amazing, but I couldn't tell you what else is there (apart from a chocolate museum). Munich is fantastic- some absolutely brilliant art museums, great architecture and the wonderful viktualsmaarkt (food market) for eating. I didn't get half what I wanted to see done and I was there for four days.

Barcelona is great, although last time I was there was 2000 so my advice is woefully out of date. By reputation it's now very crowded, but that's because it's beautiful and unique. You would need to fly.

But there might be better cities depending what you want - pretty unique cities with castles on hills? Nightlife? Best for cuisine, or wine? Do you have ancestors whose home you'd like to see, or are you into nature (in which case you want to schedule a stop away from the cities in a national park or something, and in parts of Europe those can be perfectly accessible by train).

#8 7-5-2017 2:43 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17616

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Brussels is great. Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges also lovely. Netherlands too has much to offer other than Amsterdam. Sarah has already outlined some options. There is also Texel and the other Friesian Islands. Paris and London are also easily reached by train from Amsterdam.

Other than that, there is so much to see and do in Europe. It depends on your interests.

#9 7-5-2017 7:18 AM

sarahelaine wrote:

I looked at Munich and because its so close to October Fest, probably not going to work.  Now I'm looking at Berlin (train from Amsterdam) and then Barcelona (flight).  I'm looking for food, wine, nightlife (nothing too young and crazy though), and friendly people.  I probably should do 23 and me or something, as I know I have some German heritage.  I love the outdoors too, so nature would be good as well.

#10 7-5-2017 7:46 AM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

I suggested Cologne because it was close and my daughter did a Rhine trip from there and was very enthusiastic about that.  I found Berlin somewhat overwhelming.  I have not been to Brussels in a very long time, but we were in Antwerp in 2015 and it was lovely.

#11 7-5-2017 8:17 AM

Atlguy wrote:

Who say's Brussels is not worth it? the capital of Belgium is beautiful- the Grand Place is one of the nicest place of Europe smile the Atomium is the only one in Europe, so don't say is not worth it only weak people say that sad . Since the tragedy happen last year a lot of travellers saying badly about Brussels.

Last edited by shavy (7-5-2017 10:50 AM)

#12 7-5-2017 9:19 AM

Atlguy wrote:

If nightlife is important, Berlin is known for many techno and electro clubs. Besides nightlife, Berlin is rich with history and innumerable sights. You make a good choice

In Barcelona, you will certainly have abundance of good food (tapas) with Spanish wine

While you are in Barcelona don't miss Parc de Montjuic, there is a famous castle and you enjoy a wonderful view of the city.

If you have more time, maybe a day trip to Monseratt- this is a different world, if you love outdoor this place is popular for outdoor adventure

#13 7-5-2017 1:49 PM

shavy wrote:

Atlguy wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound insulting.  What I thought it meant was there wasn't enough to do or just more interesting (subjective, of course) cities to visit in Europe.

Grandmar, if Berlin is overwhelming, I would want to avoid it.  I haven't traveled around Europe much, so maybe Brussels or Cologne would be a better choice.  Certainly more convenient for finishing the trip in Barcelona.

#14 7-5-2017 2:23 PM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

What might be overwhelming to me might not affect you in that way.  But it is very big and you have both the East and West parts of the cities.

I remember it (from some years ago) the trip down the Rhine to or from Cologne was refreshing, and you will be outdoors and with a whole bunch of people who are relaxing.

So you can do Amsterdam, take the train to Cologne, visit the city, take a cruise up the Rhine, and then fly to Barcelona

#15 7-5-2017 4:22 PM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 4129

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

berlin is a huge city in comparison to area size. in fact its a federal state in germany at the same time its capital.

berghain is a legendary club in berlin.  then there's soho (but its a member's club, i was invited by my friend there who is a member), where you can rub off with the prominents in berlin.

there are many things to see in berlin - the museum island - where you can see the bust of queen nefertiti, the ancient babylonian gate of ishtar (the pergamon museum is noted for ancient babylonian artifacts and the neues museum for ancient egyptian).

you can also visit the rest of the old berlin wall - theres is the east gallery with murals and graffitis from international aritists around the world - my favorite there was a mural of honecker and brezhnev (my god help me to survive this deadly love).

there are so many music festivals in berlin, you just have to ask your local hostel or hotel or websites regarding the dates and places.

as berlin is huge - every bezirke (boroughs) has a central place on it with lots of small cafes and cozy restaurants. my favorite bezirk there is prenzlauer berg - very hip - very bohemian.

if youre looking for a more upper class atmosphere - the kurf├╝rstendamm and unter den linden.

#16 7-6-2017 12:25 PM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Complete curve ball, but have you looked into Krakow? Very very pretty city centre, good wine and cocktails in the Kasmierz, which is evolving into a sort of hipster district (with massive interesting Jewish heritage) and close to the UNESCO listed salt mines at Wiszlesca (you can book tour buses but we just took the public train- tours of the actual mines are compulsory but easy to find in English). And Aushwitz is also close by, if you were interested. And it's a very  affordable, friendly city- cheap beer, good cheap food, wine isn't cheap but the stuff I had was good and I met a lot of lovely people.

If you like wine and you are in Barcelona, it'll be worth heading out to San S'Adorni d'Anoia or Villafranca de Penedes- they're in the heart of the cava region. And they export the less good  stuff- cava in the Cava region is as good as most champagne. My favourite bit of Spain is another few hundred miles south in Andalusia (the most stunning architecture in Europe, great red wines) but that might be one to save for another year.

Last edited by sarahelaine (7-7-2017 4:55 AM)

#17 7-6-2017 8:33 PM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 9947

sarahelaine wrote:

If you like wine and you are in Barcelona, it'll be worth heading out to San S'Adorni d'Anoia or Villafranca de Penedes- they're in the heart of the cava region. And they export the less good  stuff- cava in the Cana region is as good as most champagne. My favourite bit of Spain is another few hundred miles south in Andalucoa (the most stunning architecture in Europe, great red wines) but that might be one to save for another year.

I second Krakow.

I would also suggest Vienna.

#18 7-7-2017 4:56 AM

vulindlela wrote:

I second Krakow.

I would also suggest Vienna.

Funnily enough, heading  back to Vienna in a couple of weeks!

#19 7-7-2017 8:15 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 167

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

It would really help to know what your interests are.
For example, I live in Brussels, and I love the cultural side (fabulous Art Deco heritage and amazing Gothic attractions such as the Grand Place and Erasmus House), three pissing statues (the Mannekin, Jennecke and by far the most impressive, the Zennecke, who's a mongrel pissing on a post) as well as the utterly unique Atomium - a building I have a complete obsession with.  So, for me, Brussels would feature in your list.  But maybe not for others who have different priorities.If so, then Bruges and Ghent would be good day trip options, as the summer tourist crowds will have subsided (Bruges in summer is hellishly crowded).
Personally, I think that Berlin is a brilliant option - a city is only as overwhelming as you let it be, and you just need to pick and chose from the cultural smorgasbord that the city has to offer.  If it were me, then this would be my favoured option.
I also second Barcelona as an utterly brilliant option.  For my money, it's one of Europe's most extraordinary destinations which ticks every possible box that you might have, and because it's so popular, it's very easy to get to from virtually everywhere.  Too crowded in peak season, but in September, it would be pretty well perfect.
Just to throw another option into the pot if you'd rather stay in Northern Europe, I'd suggest you consider Hamburg.  A harbour city with heaps of charm, a wonderfully redeveloped port area around the Speicherstad (enhanced by the newly opened Elbphilharmonie opera house, which rivals Sydney in terms of innovative architecture) and a distinctly Baltic feel, virtue of its Hanseatic heritage.  From Hamburg, you can also do amazing day trips by train to very different (but wonderful) cities such as Bremen and Luebeck.
I would caution against Cologne - the Dom is staggering, but as sarahelaine rightly points out, it doesn't offer very much else if you're competing against other such amazing potential destinations.

Last edited by harbinger (7-7-2017 8:21 AM)

#20 7-7-2017 10:39 AM

pilgrim68
Chris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1363

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Barcelona def worth your time. Everything you could want in a city. History, architecture, nightlife, beaches, great food and other places to visit within easy reach.

#21 7-8-2017 9:54 AM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

I've booked Amsterdam with return flight from Barcelona.  I blew it by waiting another week and it cost me a ton more miles.  Anyway, only question is what to do in the middle of the trip for 2-3 days before ending up in Barcelona.  I know I can't do Munich because I'm going too close to Oktoberfest.  Too expensive.  Keep suggestions coming please!

#22 7-8-2017 10:19 AM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Take the train to Antwerp (the giant hand legend is interesting and if you are interested in art, Rubens studio is there) or Brussels (several hotels for under $100/night)

Or Copenhagen.  We stayed at the Saga Hotel which is near the train station and there are other hotels around there which would be about $95/night.

Most of the places in Germany I checked (like Hamburg and Cologne), the hotels in September are more expensive. but I did find a couple for under $100/night.

Last edited by grandmar (7-8-2017 10:43 AM)

#23 7-8-2017 10:46 AM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

If Brussels doesn't occured to you, you can visit Bruges and Ghent. Antwerpen isn't really interested. Check Bruges and Ghent this two cities are most beautiful place of Belgium, exactly fit your 2-3 days time. Both places easy to reach with train.

Rome Italy is also worth to consider, 3 days in the city is perfect.

Another suggestion: Madrid, Seville, Valencia in Spain - these cities of Spain are complete different to Barcelona.

Seville is one of the nicest city of Spain in my opinion. Less tourist than Barcelona

Good luck to your choice

#24 7-8-2017 5:07 PM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

I would have suggested Lisbon except that it would mean flying there and I thought that it would be better to take a train to some place close.  But if you did Lisbon (fado, western most point, castles), you could take the train to Madrid from there and then to Barcelona

#25 7-9-2017 12:06 AM

Re: Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam

Europe has so many beautiful cities: if you want to hear more suggestions here are more cities which is worth to see:

Venice
Porto
Bern
Bergen
Luxemburg

Luxembrug is ideal place to connect with train from Amsterdam

• Forums Index
  •  » Europe
  •  » Trip to Western Europe in Sept - where to go in addition to Amsterdam
This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer