#1 6-26-2017 11:58 PM

lailahuang
Shenzhen, China
Couch Potato
Posts: 6

Looking for someone to show me around

Hi everyone,

im flying over to Adelaide at the end of Sep, will spend two weeks in Australia, thinking to visit 2-3 cities of Australia, so pls kindly help give me some of the tips regarding to recommeded cities and sightseeings, or any travelling tips.

#2 6-27-2017 7:52 AM

Re: Looking for someone to show me around

How do you travel around, do you rent a car or are you flying or taking public transport?

http://www.railmaps.com.au/routedetails … Select=419

First time I visited Australia I flew to Darwin and joined a two weeks tour which ended in Adelaide. I've seen a lot of things on the way in two weeks, there are so much to see in  Northern Territory especially National Parks. I book a domestic flight from Adelaide to Sydney where I flew back home

Traveling on public transport is very slow even a selfdrive, distance between cities are quite huge.

The second time we rent a car,  started in Sydney and ended up in Melbourne- we have one month on these trip, of course we visited Tasmania and Kangaroo island as well.

You can travel from Adelaide - either to Northern Territory or to Victoria- the choice is yours!

Melbourne is a huge city - there are so much to see around, but you can see it in 1 or 2 day if you take the free city trams which runs in a circle

Alice Springs is quite far to travel from Adelaide- but you have to see Uluru......check the budget airlines

Jetstar https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/home  and Virgin airlines https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/   or search an internal flight at this website https://www.budgetair.com.au/

Travelling around Australia is a real pain, even selfdrive can be boring. If you can manage to book a domestic flight it's better

Last edited by shavy (6-27-2017 2:00 PM)

#3 6-28-2017 2:40 AM

nolan
Explorer
Posts: 3786

Laila

One city per week is good enough, for two weeks we did Brisbane/Gold Coast and Sydney areas. If you fly from Adelaide then either of those regions I mentioned would be great choices, but if you go by land, Melbourne and the rest of Victoria would make most sense. Perth is too far away except by plane.

If you go to the Gold Coast, and theme parks are your thing, that will keep you busy for at least half a week. Otherwise, the beach is good enough for many days if you enjoy bathing (make sure you bring sunscreen!). Sydney and Melbourne are more cultural and have the draws of big cities.

There are many Aussie TravBuddies on FaceBook, and they are among the friendliest folks you'll meet. So make friend requests after you've sent them PMs or post on their profiles and see how their responses go.

#4 6-28-2017 3:34 AM

Laila

Hi Laila, I have just been to Australia, as cities I recommend you Sydney and Brisbane - I liked it allot.
See my blog http://polmeetsworld.wordpress.com - I wrote several posts about my last trip to Australia in the month may.

I was there 2 weeks and I visited Sydney-Ayers Rock -Melbourne - Brisbane

01 june : Brisbane -Sydney
02 june : Sydney daytrip Blue Mountains
03 june : Sydney
04 june : Sydney flight back home

In Australia to fly between cities the cheapest option was Tigerair between 50 - 70 Aussie dollars for a flight.
You can only have 7 kg carry-on with you, and for the non-carry on luggage you have to pay.
I only had a backpack with 7kg so I was ok.

In future I will come back to Australia and do some other places like Perth and Darwin

#5 6-28-2017 4:12 AM

Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I

Laila

Well, you should be visiting Melbourne as opposed to Adelaide, Sydney or Brisbane as it's the world's most livable city smile Melbourne has so much to offer. Sydney has a beautiful harbour though, so maybe a week in Melbourne and a week in Sydney. Adelaide is like a big country town and I'm not really sure why you'd want to choose to go there when you have so little time. Is there a reason you want to see cities specifically? I only ask because cities are pretty much the same all over the world and there is so much other stuff to see if you have so little time.

You should maybe tell us more about what you like to to so we can guide you better.

#6 6-28-2017 10:27 AM

jacobi wrote:

Last edited by shavy (6-28-2017 10:31 AM)

#7 6-28-2017 8:07 PM

shavy wrote:

.....Sometimes flying to a different city is cheaper than a well known cities. Maybe for her Adelaide is a cheaper gateway to Australia smile

#8 6-28-2017 9:17 PM

nolan
Explorer
Posts: 3786

True, but Adelaide? Not sure what the attraction would be to go there lol

Wine tasting and vineyard tours.

#9 6-29-2017 8:08 PM

nolan wrote:

True, but Adelaide? Not sure what the attraction would be to go there lol

Wine tasting and vineyard tours.

Okay, Barossa Valley is nice, but you can do wine tasting in so many other places smile Victoria has heaps of vineyards.

#10 6-30-2017 7:54 AM

gemmapurcell
Gemma
Couch Potato
Posts: 43

Re: Looking for someone to show me around

There many cities in Australia for different kind of peoples so It's most important to know about our likes and dislikes in travelling.
1. If you like music you should go to Melbourne
2. If you love road trip than plan a trip from Brisbane to Cairns
3. Central Market in Adelaide
4. Wine Tours in various cities
5. Visit Broken Hill

#11 7-3-2017 1:36 AM

Re: Looking for someone to show me around

The likes and dislikes are different for each and one of us, I have heard so much about Melbourne, but as a European I think the place is heavily overrated and i will not recommend it to my friends who are also planning to visit Australia. The only plus was doing the Ocean road from there, but as a city it's a noo to me, enjoyed Brisbane and Sydney alot more.

Last edited by Polh (7-3-2017 1:37 AM)

#12 7-3-2017 1:28 PM

Polh wrote:

Nothing wrong with Melbourne, but surely is a beautiful city. Maybe because my daughter lives in Melbourne smile

#13 7-3-2017 10:28 PM

Polh wrote:

Seriously? I'm not really a city person, but if I had to choose one in Australia, it would be Melbourne. And so would a lot of people and that's why it's been voted the world's number 1 most livable city for the past six years!

#14 7-6-2017 4:27 AM

Polh wrote:

It got voted to city n° 1, well here again with Internet votes you can make a hellhole look like heaven. The thing I always hear about Melbourne, is good vibe, good coffee. For this Europeans don't need to travel to the other side of the world to find a city with good vibe, cause Europe is full of that and coffee the same thing. So what is actually to see in Melbourne ? Well nothing special to travel at the other side of the world for. Sydney has it's famous Landmark, Harbourbridge with Opera house and people want to go see that, just like Australians want to come to Europe to see the Eifel Tower or the Collosseum, not to drink coffee and have a good vibe cause aperently they have this in Melbourne.
It's heavily overrated and the fact that it's the most livable city in the world and got this vote that doesn't mean anything, lobbygroups and social media can even make shit look great. Tired to hear all this BS about Melbourne. You Australians are proud of Melbourne ok, nothing wrong with that but don't sell it to the world as the next best thing, best spot in Australia or whatever cause it ain't. Again this is my opinion and people can disagree.
Australians prefer Melbourne more then Sydney or any other city, I noticed that, but the thing that make me laugh is that allot of backpackers just say the same thing without good arguments, they just like a bunch of parrots repeating all they have heard from the locals without even experiencing for themselves first. Asked a couple of French girls in Melbourne what they like so much about the city, again vibe and coffee was the reply, like the city didn't had better things to offer then coffee. They got agressive when I disagreed, but yeah I'm Flemish probably the reason why I didn't agreed with the French unfortunately.
So they took of with their backpacks and flipflops.
I am very neutral to these kind of things and I personnaly think that Australians should be more proud of Sydney then Melbourne, also Brisbane is underrated where Melbourne isn't. Example : Hosier lane suppose to be great for its street art and graffiti, really haven’t seen much art or great graffiti , it was disappointing. Later on my Australia trip I was surprised to find the best street art to be in Brisbane.
I experienced it with open mind and find Melbourne heavily overrated, it's not bad city to visit but it's not the big thing everyone says it is.
By the way just surfed on a website about Vienna it says its been voted for the 8th time to the most liveable city in the world, just how legit is all this when one website saying it's Melbourne, the other Vienne and God knows maybe another site will say it's Vancouver.

Last edited by Polh (7-6-2017 5:16 AM)

#15 7-6-2017 9:47 PM

Polh wrote:

....You Australians are proud of Melbourne ok, nothing wrong with that but don't sell it to the world as the next best thing, best spot in Australia or whatever cause it ain't.......

#16 7-6-2017 11:49 PM

ok ok, settle down sweetheart, no need to have a temper tantrum about it.

Oops Dan,it looks like someone doesn't like you here big_smile just joking

#17 7-7-2017 3:57 AM

ok ok, settle down sweetheart, no need to have a temper tantrum about it.

Settle down ? I'm sorry English is not my first language, I didn't have any bad temper at all when I wrote my post , maybe you misinterpreted it, I didn't want to piss anybody off by just saying my opinion about how Melbourne is portraited as the next best thing. What's the thing about me being your sweetheart? That makes me think maybe you have feelings for man, sorry I'm not down with that, I prefer women.

Last edited by Polh (7-7-2017 4:00 AM)

#18 7-7-2017 7:42 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 167

Re: Looking for someone to show me around

I absolutely love Melbourne, and I quite understand why it would regularly be voted as the world's 'most liveable city'.  Although there are many of these polls, and it does seem that Melbourne doesn't win out in quite the whitewash that the Aussie media might care to project wink
The hardest decision of my life was whether to accept a promotion and move from Perth to Melbourne, or to relocate internationally to marry my husband.  Nearly 16 years down the marital road, I know that I made the right choice, but I confess that I still hanker for Melbourne ...
But the question here is not 'liveability' (if that's a word).  The question is, what's the better tourist destination, and I agree wholeheartedly with pohl that Sydney wins hands down.  Wouldn't want to live there, but for a tourist,  it's more way more scenic, delivers more of the iconic landmarks and has a more accessible beach culture for those looking for that Bondi/Babewatch experience.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer