#1 6-22-2017 1:44 AM

Tel Aviv: gifts/presents for Americans

Hey there! I'm traveling to the Middle East for the first time. Suggestions on what to bring for friends? Also interested if there're local communities of Tel Aviv on Facebook?

#2 6-22-2017 2:00 AM

Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I

Re: Tel Aviv: gifts/presents for Americans

You mean what to give to your friends in the Middle East? Or what to bring back from the Middle East for you friends at home? As for FB, have you done a search on there?

#3 6-22-2017 3:49 AM

What to bring from Middle the East. Spices? What else?

I found the community Secret Tel Aviv but was thinking if there're specific communities for swaping apartments. Probably, you know?

#4 6-22-2017 3:56 AM

RithschildsChild wrote:

What to bring from Middle the East. Spices? What else?

Buying gifts for people is such a burden. Don't stress about it. Just see what's there on your journey and something will jump out for the right person.

I think I once saw a web site that advertised international house sitting. You could try searching for something like that maybe.

#5 6-24-2017 1:29 AM

nolan
Posts: 3768

RithschildsChild wrote:

What to bring from Middle the East. Spices? What else?

Depends who you're giving them to. If they are Jews, anything related to Judaism which will serve as a conversation topic will do. Or local snack food, as long as it's easy to bring in your bags. If they are Christians, they can be given religious gifts from the Holy Land (e.g. water from the River Jordan). Now if they're atheists or some other religion, there will always be some small gadget or memento that is easy to buy off the street that is unique.

Food (especially sweets or candy) is generally a safe bet provided nobody is allergic to those. Spices, perhaps ... provided they don't stink or get confiscated by customs.

#6 6-24-2017 1:36 AM

nolan wrote:

....There is no need to buy lavish gifts or go through the effort of doing such unless you're trying to impress someone.

very true

#7 6-25-2017 4:42 PM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 4122

Re: Tel Aviv: gifts/presents for Americans

nargila (hookah) - a friend gave me one when i was there but sadly i couldnt fit in my small suitcase.

dead sea products - soaps, lotions, creams, salt baths

kippah

lauro
Germany
Posts: 4122

Re: Tel Aviv: gifts/presents for Americans

i forgot - PASTRAMI - the best pastrami meat ive ever eaten is from israel.

#9 6-28-2017 6:13 AM

nebington
San Francisco, California
Posts: 1

Re: Tel Aviv: gifts/presents for Americans

Hey! My friends brought me some stuff that I really appreciated. Israeli spices, hummus (ahuge difference between the one you buy here), Tubi 60 liquor (was really good, spicy flavoured, but I have also already seen it in some place in NY area), Dead Sea cosmetics (some creams that were special, but costed, as my friends said, nothing).

#10 7-1-2017 6:58 AM

lauro wrote:

i forgot - PASTRAMI - the best pastrami meat ive ever eaten is from israel.

Wow, I didn't know that. That's good to know!

nolan wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I think it's better to bring something extraordinary but not necessarily expensive...

nebington wrote:

Dead sea cosmetics is pretty expensive in the US. How much does it cost in Israel?
Tubi 60? I think, I've seen it in some stores of TX and NYC when was travelling there.

Thanks to everyone, guys! I will keep in mind all the suggestions. Travel is this week, and I'm so excited about it!

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer