#1 6-17-2017 2:42 PM

Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Clothes shopping in Iran and Qatar

Are clothes sizing in Iran and Qatar similar to sizes in East Asia?
For example, being 164cm and 55kg, I now take a Large size, but often can fit medium tops if they don't go over my hips.

I think it will be troublesome to try on clothes while shopping in Iran and Qatar markets, so does anyone know the size I should look out for?

#2 6-17-2017 4:10 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 517

Re: Clothes shopping in Iran and Qatar

I have once done some shopping at department store in Doha, I'm 1.60cm 45kg had XS size in Europe I could fit S in Qatar. I didn't bought clothes at the market, but I think sizes will be the same

Oh by the way, Qatar clothing size is similar to other Asian countries - is a country with mixed nationalities,   looks like clothing size is aiming for other nationalities.  Qatari people don't go shopping for tops smile

Last edited by shavy (6-17-2017 4:44 PM)

#3 6-18-2017 9:39 AM

melissawong
Melissa
Lausanne, Switzerland
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 249

Re: Clothes shopping in Iran and Qatar

I would think that the size of the clothes are the same. I think the shopping malls in Doha carry brands you see everywhere like H&M and Mango. If you are looking for an embroidered  Arabic gown, you might need to adjust the length of the dress or maybe they can alter it for you on the spot.

#4 6-18-2017 2:32 PM

eli7
Ellie
Tehran, Iran
Couch Potato
Posts: 23

Greetings,

If you are going to shop from the brand stores like Nike, Lcwalkiki, or something,the size would be the same all over the world, but if you are going to buy something which is made in Iran, it would be a little bit different. If I ask someone to buy a medium size top for me, I cannot be one hundred percent sure if it really fits, because the sizes may be different from dressmaker to dressmaker and from company to company. But I can be 80 percent sure that it would fit.
Well, 160 CM and 45 Kg normally equals the small to medium size here, depending on the size of the breast and hip.
164cm and 55kg, would be medium to large.
It's better to try on clothes before buying them smile

#5 6-18-2017 10:47 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 232

Re: Clothes shopping in Iran and Qatar

Lately the sizes have become rather vage, I have for instance European shoe size 44, was recently in a shoeshop and what was there size 45 was way to small, but bought later in a different shop size 44 shoes quite well fitting

#6 6-19-2017 2:29 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1900

Re: Clothes shopping in Iran and Qatar

if you go to the shopping center hunting those branded clothes, the size would be same anywhere around the world, however if you want the traditional clothes from the zouk market in Qatar, you will need to try it.  Some shop allow you to try but mostly they don't.

Personally, I found the branded clothings in Indonesia or Asia is cheaper than in Europe or USA.

#7 6-19-2017 3:02 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 517

Re: Clothes shopping in Iran and Qatar

Not anywhere the same size in the world.  Asian countries has mostly one size ( free size) if you want a local brand and to be honest (free size) is too big for me...... Shopping in the USA I need xs petite........Shopping in Italy is complete different. Italian size is much smaller than a regular size

#8 6-19-2017 8:44 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Shavy: Good to know that Qatar sizes are similar to Asian sizes. Like you, I used to fit an Asian size S at 1.60cm and 45kg several decades ago big_smile  That's mostly my experience shopping in Asia markets as well - usually just one common size.

Melissawong: I noticed sometimes yes, sometimes no. Ralph Lauren in Indonesia tailor their clothes to better fit Asian bodies -- as I suspected and it was confirmed by a saleslady. The ladies' M size I find here - sleeve length is a tad short on me whereas the ones I find in USA - even S size sleeves are to long.

Eli: That makes sense smile However, I imagine it will be inconvenient to try on clothes at markets in Tehran considering I'm already going to be wearing baggy clothes. Usually when I go to a market, I take off all layers and leave a tank top and try the clothing over my tank top (which can't be done in public in Iran).

Ulis: I experience it too, but more towards vanity sizing.

Yunny: I'm looking for traditional clothes - I like to buy them for the purpose of collection from my trips smile I usually find export leftovers in Indonesia at good bargains.

#9 6-19-2017 8:56 AM

pilgrim68
Chris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 1352

Re: Clothes shopping in Iran and Qatar

Flights in and out of Qatar may be difficult at the moment and for the forseeable future.

#10 6-19-2017 9:08 AM

pilgrim68 wrote:

That's true. I booked QR 845 months ago. After the suspension, this flight often got cancelled and subbed to a smaller equipment (QR 857) + delay despite the route not being directly affected. This situation has led me to prepone my flight by 1 day as I still have to make a connection from DOH to Europe.

For the flight back from Europe - DOH - IKA, this route seems smooth. However, the rocket I read about today is worrying me.

#11 6-25-2017 1:53 AM

eli7
Ellie
Tehran, Iran
Couch Potato
Posts: 23

Dear Fay,
In Iran, there are some small wooden rooms, we call them Porov Room, which you can try on clothes you want to buy smile
But I have to say that as far as I know, in most of the shopping centers trying on the tops is not permitted because of the personal hygiene; though there may be some stores that allow you to try them on.

Last edited by eli7 (6-25-2017 1:54 AM)

Board footer