#1 6-14-2017 6:52 PM

jhulian
Toronto, Canada
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato

How many countries can you visit in Europe in 10 days?

Starting in Germany. Also does anyone know of any beaches around that area?

#2 6-14-2017 8:42 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: How many countries can you visit in Europe in 10 days?

It depends on what you're trying to do. If your goal is an adventure where you see as many countries as possible, and especially if you're prepared to spend your whole trip driving, you could probably cram in ten. Personally I would see one- Germany. And geany being a big country I would probably only see a tiny bit of it. I think you need three nights anywhere to see it, which once you've included travel time leaves you with two full days and the time left over after traveling. So ten days for me would be two or at most three cities. Always measure your trip in cities not countries- Germany is an old country so a couple of hundred miles changes the architecture, food and history of a place completely. And Germany does have beaches... https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.skysca … y-pictures

Last edited by sarahelaine (6-14-2017 8:42 PM)

#3 6-14-2017 10:06 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Nomad

If you plan to visit just big cities starting Gemany you maybe see Brussels. Amsterdam, Paris and London in 10 days. These are good connections with fast train

#4 6-14-2017 10:44 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Nomad

By the way beaches are quite far from big cities, Germany is not very popular for its beaches but if you have a car it is worth to drive up there but do not go in the summer time as it is very crowded. If you really want to experience some of German beach try : Sylt and Usedom- I been to both, that said you need a car to get there

#5 6-14-2017 11:04 PM

getmebrother
Kochi, India
Couch Potato

if u want beaches, u can go to Malta.Blue Lagoons ,beaches,pubs,visit forts. mostly you can watch entire Malta in a day as it is a  small country.All d best ..explore Europe

#6 6-14-2017 11:12 PM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

shavy wrote:

By the way beaches are quite far from big cities, Germany is not very popular for its beaches but if you have a car it is worth to drive up there but do not go in the summer time as it is very crowded. If you really want to experience some of German beach try : Sylt and Usedom- I been to both, that said you need a car to get there

If you want beach and city you should go for Barcelona
As Shavy said German beaches are not very popular, most Germans come to the Netherlands and Belgium if they want a day at the beach (Scheveningen Nl and Blankenbergen Be are popular)
How many countries you can visit in 10 days depends on what you want to do
If you really want to see the country you should stick to Germany alone, if you want some city hopping you can take Belindas advice or skip London and go south for your beach adventure (France or Spain both have great beaches and matching weather)

#7 6-15-2017 12:22 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer

It does depend on whether you want to try different countries or just different cities. Where are you starting in Germany? plenty of neighbouring counties - I tend to find 2 -3 days per city is good, so maybe 4 cities for you! 5 at an absolute push

#8 6-15-2017 7:00 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Do any of you remember a movie called "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969)"?  It was a movie about tourists - and and 18 day tour where they saw 9 cities.

So I think in 10 days you can probably do 5 or 6 counties if that is what you want to do.  I think in the first 10 days we were in Europe in 1950 we could have visited France, Luxemborg, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany Denmark and Sweden.

#9 6-15-2017 8:25 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

Is possible to visit many European countries in 10 days if you flying- check the low cost arlines www.ryanair.com or www.wizzair.com or www.easyjet.com these airlines will take you to many European destinations, but if I were you I concentrate on one country.

#10 6-15-2017 8:30 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

getmebrother wrote:

if u want beaches, u can go to Malta.Blue Lagoons ,beaches,pubs,visit forts. mostly you can watch entire Malta in a day as it is a  small country.All d best ..explore Europe

Watch or seen? entire Malta in a day how do you do that? even having a car in Malta is not possible to see the island in one day. .....We spent 5 days in Malta, if you want to visit the islands -Gozo and Comino you can't see Malta in one day

#11 6-15-2017 8:44 AM

Solomatrix
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

10 or more, you could even do multiple countries in one day if you have the energy lol

#12 6-15-2017 3:32 PM

jhulian
Toronto, Canada
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato

Starting out in Frankfurt I guess. But my plan is to see as many countries as I possibly can in those days. Im meeting up with some friends that will be traveling there and will be staying for a few months.  I dont think they mind my plan since they have more time to explore. This is kind of a last minute thing for me.

As for the beach, whens the latest to go to enjoy good weather?  Its actually my friends that want to go to a beach, but didnt know any in Germany. I suggested Slyt since I tried to look some up, im not too picky about it, but if there are good ones worth checking out like the blue lagoons, i'll definitely suggest those locations.

Thanks for all your input guys!

#13 6-15-2017 4:22 PM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

water is cold in the north sea and the baltic sea - it doenst get higher than 20-21-22°c and the weather is unpredictable in summer. there would be thunderstorms and rain if it gets bad.

fly to southern europe from any major airport in germany - and spend 2 nights. the mediterenean is warm until the last days of autumn. there are cheap airlines from frankfurt intl airport and frankfurt-hahn  to southern europe.

#14 6-16-2017 4:21 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Technically, you could do ten, or even more, countries in ten days - but not quite sure what you'll manage to see or enjoy in each. Trains (or, even better, a Eurail Pass) and low-cost flights can actually get you there. But, more reasonably, I'd advice 4-5 countries at the max, with one major city per country - and more like 2-3 countries if you wanted to enjoy it.

A long time ago, I did this with a Eurail Pass - just boarded trains without really looking at the destination it was going to. So kept arriving in a new city each day, saw the sights a bit, sometimes stayed longer/overnight if I liked the place, then again boarded a train blindly and woke up in a new city next day. Was super fun. smile

Last edited by Apurva_N (6-16-2017 4:23 AM)

#15 6-18-2017 12:21 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

As stated above, it really does depend what you are trying to achieve. If you just want to tick off countries you can esasi;y do a dozen in ten days but you are not going to see or experience anything, you will just be on the road all the time.  If it is just a matter of getting a load of countries on your CV remember places like Lichenstein, Vatican City (where I am going tomorrow), Luxembourg (where I was a couple of weeks ago), Monaco (which is brutally expensive), Andorra  and so on.  If you travel by train you can easily pass through two or three countries in one journey.

Personally, it would not be how I would choose to travel,  as it seems a bit pointless.  I am now on my eighth country of what started life as a four day trip but it has taken me over two months.

#16 6-18-2017 12:42 PM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

If you are 'country chasing', then I think that you'd be able to tick off 10 in 10 days - the easiest way to achieve this would be to visit the countries that border Germany.
Starting in Germany and going anti clockwise, that would be the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland and Denmark - possibly Liechtenstein at a push.  But you'd really need your own transport, as doing this on public transport would be a gruelling experience.
You would be hard pressed to fit in beach time on such a whistlestop schedule, and as others have mentioned, the North/Baltic sea beaches may be sandy, but the water is cold - having said that, you're from Canada, so maybe that's relative? Another possible option might be the beaches along the Bodensee (Lake Constance), which are pebble beaches but lots of fun if you're in the region anyway and the weather is hot.

planxty wrote:

As stated above, it really does depend what you are trying to achieve. If you just want to tick off countries you can esasi;y do a dozen in ten days but you are not going to see or experience anything, you will just be on the road all the time.  If it is just a matter of getting a load of countries on your CV remember places like Lichenstein, Vatican City (where I am going tomorrow), Luxembourg (where I was a couple of weeks ago), Monaco (which is brutally expensive), Andorra  and so on.  If you travel by train you can easily pass through two or three countries in one journey.

Just out of curiosity, what on earth are you doing visiting the Vatican, Fergy?  Surely it's a bit late to be looking for absolution, you old reprobate???

#17 6-18-2017 7:16 PM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer

Too cold for swimming in Germany. I think it is crazy to even consider visiting 10 countries in 10 days.  I would consider just seeing two countries and which ones depends on your interests.
By the way i have been to 7 countries in one day, driving from London, catching the cross channel ferry to Belgium, then driving through Luxemburg, France, Germany, Switzerland and ending up in Florence , Italy.
Did i see anything---NO. Did this twice as i was delivering and picking up a car for one of my customers back in 1987

#18 6-18-2017 9:49 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

But why?

#19 6-18-2017 10:59 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

With good planing you could do 10 (or even 11 countries) in 1 day

#20 6-19-2017 7:33 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Sometimes a taste is better than a feast

#21 6-19-2017 8:32 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

That is the advantage in Europe you can visit more countries in one day as they are connected to each other. If it was me I visit one country at a time smile

#22 6-19-2017 8:47 AM

Andy99
Andrew
Springfield, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Beaches in Germany? Warnemünde near Rostock is a popular German beach resort on the Baltic.

#23 6-19-2017 8:53 AM

pilgrim68
Chris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Most of them if you really want to!

#24 6-19-2017 11:48 PM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

It's a better idea to stay longer at one particular location.

I think staying 4-5 days in a city is better than visiting multiple locations.

10 days is a short time frame, so I would pick 2-3 cities, if I were you. Or, up to 4 cities in different countries.

#25 6-20-2017 9:15 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer

I really wish people would just answer the question instead of telling someone that they should be doing something else than what they have asked about.   The question is not about what I would do or what anyone else would do.  It is not relevant or helpful to say that it would be better to stay longer in each location, when the question is how can I visit as many countries as possible.  Better for who?  Maybe this is an exploratory trip to see what country they want to visit longer.

Board footer