#1 6-12-2017 10:53 AM

Posts: 7

Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

Have a 16 year old daughter that is interested in travelling and seeing more of the world.  Starting out with relative close proximity to Canada.  Looking for some ideas for memorable trips you may have a had in your late teens.  Ie. New York to see opera/symphony.  We are both very active (I'm a bodybuilder, she's a competitive cheerleader), but would like to expand our narrow vision of the world and begin to experience more.  Just not sure what is out there.  I guess what I am ultimately looking for is advice on what you feel would be a memorable, enlightening trip for a 16 year old that is very intelligent, and open minded, but somewhat sheltered?  Anything really...  I'm a little sheltered myself.

#2 6-12-2017 4:35 PM

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

I would think Quebec, toronto, Boston, Montreal and NY would all be good ideas for opera/symphony.  easy to google.

#3 6-12-2017 6:05 PM

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

OK.  What trips did I go on in my late teens that were memorable and enlightening.  The only problem with me telling you what I did in my late teens is ....... my late teens were 60 years ago.  Some of the things I did might no longer be possible.

When I was 18, we took a camping trip to Assateaque Island - this is a barrier island with wild ponies.  Half of it is in Maryland and half in Virginia, and there's no access from one state to the other.  If you plan it right, you can go to the Virginia side and see the pony penning (I have not done this - I've only heard about it).  The Firemen from Chicoteague VA round up the ponies and swim them from the island to the mainland where they have an auction.

I also went to language school in Maine, and on the way we visited Arcadia National Park.

When I was a little older (married and pregnant), I went to NYC were I visited the UN and went to some Broadway shows.  Later still (with two younger children) we went to NYC on the train and rode the ferry to Staten Island, and went to the Museum of Art.  When I was on a trip with my grandson (age 13) we took the ferry from Fort Clinton to Ellis Island, rode down Broadway, and had dinner at The View which was a revolving restaurant up on the top of a skyscraper.  There are of course lots of other things to do in NYC, and vicinity - when I was about 3, I went to the Bronx zoo and was allowed to hold a big boa constrictor (we were there when the zoo was closed and Daddy knew someone there at the zoo)

When I was 16, and just had m driver's license, we drove up to Cape Cod, and then down the coast and took the ferry (which no longer exists) from Baltimore to Norfolk.  Then we drove down and visited relatives in NC, stopped in Charleston SC (saw the Old Slave auction Mart Museum and Fort Sumter) went on down to Florida.  We visited St. Augustine (oldest house, Oldest Wooden School House, the fort (Castillo) Lightner Museum, Fountain of Youth,, Bridge of Lions, Lighthouse),Marineland, Ross Allen's Reptile Institute, Ormond Beach where you can drive on the beach,  Weeki  Wachi Springs (which had mermaids - not sure if that show still exists), and a couple of places that no longer exist - Cypress Gardens water ski show, Tarpon Springs sponge diving, and Silver Springs glass bottomed boat tours.

My daughter has taken her teen age children on a trip each summer.  One year they flew to Jackson Hole WY and drive up through Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP, and then to via Mount Rushmore they went to Big Sky Montana and rented a cabin and went fishing - they also went to a gold mine and visited Little Big Horn.

Another year they flew to Los Angeles and drive up the coast - riding horses, renting kayaks and seeing the big trees in Muir Woods NM.

Another time they went to Las Vegas and from there took a trip to the Grand Canyon.

When I was 12, my father had a meeting in New Orleans so we were there for a long weekend.  We visited the French Quarter (took a carriage ride with a horse named Blackie) and ate at fancy restaurants.

My granddaughter got married in New Haven CT, and some of her teen age cousins (and their parents) took side trips to Boston (Aquarium) and Mystic Seaport.

#4 6-12-2017 11:31 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5998

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

Apart from cheerleading, what does she like doing? The holiday that bookish, culture junky me would have enjoyed at 16 would have bored my more conventionally teenage brother and sister to tears. Some teenagers are studying art or history and would love to see museums and historical monuments (Boston/NY maybe?), others want beaches and mum and dad to stay at a discreet distance whilst they meet other teens. Plan for the teenager you have and not the one we think exists, they're as different from each other as adults are.

In answer to your question, I think the year I was 16 we went to the Scottish highlands as a family and I did a fair bit of hillwalking with my father. I loved the fresh air and wildlife, my sister (14) likes that the park had a pool and a clubhouse, my brother (12) got to drive the car as we were all off public road and that was him happy. And just before I turned 17 I went on a school history trip to Prague/Berlin/Nuremberg/Auschwitz, which was absolutely fascinating but very much education and not for fun. Still, all of us loved the pretty Central European cities, shopping, just being somewhere new and being allowed beer because at the time the teachers didn't trust the water (it was within a few years of communism ending, I wouldn't hesitate nowadays).

#5 6-13-2017 5:00 AM

grandmar wrote:

Wow, thank you so much for your time!  What a great life you and your family have had travelling and doing so many things together.  That is my goal now, not so much to "have" but to "do".  I am a single father and its just my daughter and me most of the time.  I did no travelling as a kid so I feel a little lost on what to even look into.  Pretty much everything you just said is perfect!  So thank you so much!  Seeing some broadway shows in NYC is particularly appealing to me, not exactly sure if my 16 year old daughter would enjoy it, but I suspect she would!

#6 6-13-2017 5:15 AM

sarahelaine wrote:

Thank you very much Sarahelaine!  I suspect my daughter is probably a mix of you and your siblings.  We had an absolute blast in Mexico last winter at a resort, but all we did was walk around looking at everything with a drink in hand.  We like to observe and learn, the unfortunate thing is that I don't have a lot of historical knowledge, or even a very keen eye for art and culture.  I would like to expose her to these things though, and gain an appreciation with her.  I would love to travel to Europe someday, however, to be honest, it scares me right now, as in the news there seems to be so much terrorism.  I'm sure my mind is exaggerating the danger.  There would also be a relatively high cost compared to staying on this side of the Atlantic I would think.  Thank you again!

#7 6-13-2017 5:20 AM

katzgar wrote:

Thank you Katzgar!  I have been googling and finding lots of great info.

#8 6-13-2017 9:53 AM

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

NYC and Chicago are amongst the worlds top art cities.   https://theculturetrip.com/europe/artic … d-for-art/

#9 6-13-2017 10:33 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 129

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

I left home at 16 so unfortunately trips weren't in my realm of thinking. I moved to Quebec City at 17 for university and even though still in Canada it was quite a culture shock coming from Southern Ontario.  When my son was 16, being a single mom we couldn't really afford to take him anywhere so we would just explore locally, but there was a school trip offered to Italy/Greece which his dad and I agreed to split the cost and send him and he loved it and has the travel bug now.

Tagging onto what Katzgar said, depending on how much time you have, you could just hop in your car and do a route and head west to Toronto via Quebec/Montreal/Ottawa and down to the States via Niagara Falls and then back through the States or vice versa. If you see something interesting, stop and explore. Even just on long weekends, pick a place and hop in the car and go. It will help build your comfort zone for being in new cities. If you both have a dream destination, make a plan and start saving.

Also, the west coast is beautiful and very different from the East. You can watch for seat sales and see if you can get cheap flights to places.

If you both like slightly different things (like a broadway show), have an agreement that you'll make sure to do things you both want and won't complain (though I would expect a few amazing teenage eye rolls. Haha). So you'll do thing you want, she wants and you both want.

Ultimately, no matter where you go, she will always remember time spent having fun with her dad and that's the most important thing. My son is 22 now and on the odd day we both have nothing else going on we still love to just hop in the car and drive somewhere and explore.

Last edited by NickelP (6-13-2017 5:38 PM)

#10 6-13-2017 12:05 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 84

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

How about Western Europe? Since you are Canadian, your daughter probably speaks some French...so Paris is a logical choice. You both speak English, so London is another logical choice, as are almost all the other capital cities of Western Europe.

Those large historic cities have it all, for whatever interests you.

#11 6-13-2017 2:21 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5998

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

With reference to terrorism in Europe, I don't want to minimise anyone's pain and fear. I stood at the Manchester vigil and wept with the crowds. But by my count, somewhere around 35 people have been killed by terrorists in the U.K. In the last decade. That compares with something like 475 deaths by mass shooters in the USA in 2016 alone, or something like that. And of course tens of thousands of deaths in car crashes. Just as I would always wear a seatbelt, but would not spend the rest of my life telling people they should avoid getting in a car, I would watch the CIA world book and the FCO travel advice pass and avoid going anywhere with an actual shooting war on. But Europe is still one of the safest places you can visit, and I wouldn't ever advise avoiding the whole continent.

#12 6-13-2017 5:14 PM

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

When I was 12, my parents took a transatlantic cruise - my dad was giving scientific papers in Paris and Oxford and we did a lot of touring over there.  I remember it.  My sister who was 10 doesn't.  I've taken three grandchilddren (age 12-13) to Europe, but I did it with a guided tour or a cruise.  That way we did a lot together, but we weren't in each other's pockets all the time.

But it isn't necessary to go to Europe to have an amazing experience.  So I would suggest
Pick a couple of locations.  For each location pick one or more
a) A historic site (like a state park)
b) A physical activity (like kayaking or horseback riding or swimming)
c) A cultural activity
d) a Local food

And ask your daughter to pick one or more of the activities.  So for NYC it could be the ferry to Staten Island, the High Line Trail, a play and a hot dog at Nathan's Famous.

Last edited by grandmar (6-13-2017 5:17 PM)

#13 6-14-2017 4:14 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 3297

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

For one daughter, I took her on a trip to S. Dakota (Mt. Rushmore, etc.).  For the other, we went to El Paso and Albuquerque (she is a Breaking Bad fan).  I'd ask her what she fancies.

#14 6-14-2017 5:43 AM

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

interesting comments about terrorism but we all do see the news dont we.

#15 6-14-2017 6:11 AM

I would suggest
Pick a couple of locations.  For each location pick one or more
a) A historic site (like a state park)
b) A physical activity (like kayaking or horseback riding or swimming)
c) A cultural activity
d) a Local food

This is meant to give you a variety, but if you are having trouble deciding between two things, do both of them.  I also sometimes map the things I want to do. I schedule things that are close together so as not to spend too much time traveling between things.

If a city has a hop-on-hop-off bus tour, I find that this is a good way to get an overview.

Take cameras (give your daughter one), and take pictures.

I suggest not doing but one museum in a day, and no matter how big the museum is, spend just a couple of hours there - don't try to do the whole museum.  I usually look in advance to see what things are particular to that museum.  For instance in D.C. when I am at the Natural History Museum, I don't go to see the Egyptian Mummies because most museums have some - I go to see the Hope diamond.  For someone interested in fashion, the exhibit in the Smithsonian of the Inauguration Gowns of the First Ladies would be one of the things to be sure to see.  When I was traveling with a granddaughter whose favorite artist was Van Gogh, we skipped over the medieval art, and went to look at the Van Goghs.

#16 6-14-2017 6:01 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 412

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

I would like to toss MAINE into the ring for consideration.  It should be relatively convenient to reach and inexpensive versus some of the other options (not that they aren't wonderful).  The diversity of attractions here should keep things interesting for both of you - for culture, Portland has a very nice art museum and a lot of local theater and live music venues.  Outdoor options are unlimited - easy to include a visiting to Acadia National Park and enjoy some splendid hikes, possibly a kayak or rent bikes to cruise the Carriage Trails.  For next to nothing you could sample the island life and make a day trip to Monhegan...the boat ride might be a unique experience for your daughter.  Don't forget to score a lobster dinner, possibly drop in at the LL Bean flagship store in Freeport (I used to work there, so I'm kinda partial smile ).

There are islands where you could stay overnight in a lighthouse, tons of incredible scenery and much, much more.  If that catches your attention, please feel free to share some details: did not notice how much time you were planning and there may be something you definitely wanted on the itinerary...more than happy to put together a proposal to get you started.

Will be fun to see where you ultimately choose to go...a tough decision with all this feedback!

#17 6-15-2017 9:07 AM

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

Wow you guys really have taken alot of time to post up some really great info!  Thank you all!  Vances, the idea of travelling down to Portland is very doable in the near future, its well within driving distance!  Ive never been there so it might be a nice little road trip to take with her.  I dont think we could get into too much trouble either in Maine.  I'll have to do some research and see what is available to do in that area this time of year.  Grandmar, thank you again for all your wonderful input.  Although I'd like to start off mostly in a guided tour type appraoch, I'd love to someday feel confident enough to start jumping on and off subways and trains!  The idea of getting lost in a huge city is terrifying to me.  I dont look like your average tourist and for some reason tend to attract a myriad of difficult circumstances often just due to my physical structure.  IE. I have been roofied in Mexico with my ex, and often get solicited to fight in places where people are drinking.  So getting lost in the New York subway is not something I would like to ever have to deal with.   At least not from what I have seen on television.

#18 7-27-2017 5:52 PM

nik2blessed
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 117

grandmar wrote:

I so want to visit Mystic! But which airport is the best near there? and cities as well??? - Nicole

#19 7-28-2017 8:53 AM

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

For Mystic the closest airport is Groton. But the closest big airport is probably Providence RI or Boston

#20 7-31-2017 5:48 AM

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

Thanks again for all the great responses.  My daughter and I wound up taking a little road trip to Old Orchard Beach in Maine last weekend.  What an incredible place to visit.  The beach is absolutely amazing, the water was warm enough to swim in with no issues, the Pier and the amusement park are great!  We also went to Fun Town Slash Town (funny name) and rode the rollercoaster and had a great time in the water park.  I would highly recommend a visit to anyone!  I can see us returning next summer but for a full week.  Also tried IHop for the first time, OMG that's what I call a breakfast!  So now its on to finding somewhere fun to go this fall...  Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

#21 7-31-2017 5:54 AM

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

For anyone that hasn't already tried it, I'm sure most already know about this, but use Google Maps to zoom in on a place you would like to visit (Old Orchard Beach worked) so that you are maybe a quarter mile above land, and hit the 3D button down in the bottom right corner.  If you hold the CTRL button on your keyboard you can change your camera angle.  Its pretty incredible and is what sold us on travelling to OOB.  flaying around New York city is also incredible, as is Cancun beach...  what an amazing feature in Google Maps!

#22 7-31-2017 7:12 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 131

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

I am closer to the other side of Canada. We have some great wilderness out here. And if you take her out there, there is often times no cellphone coverage, so you will get her all to yourself. You might consider Waterton on the Canadian side and then down into Glacier National Park. You can camp or get a hotel. The cherries have just come into season there and they are wonderful. You could then go down into Yellowstone National Park and see all of the geysers. Actually, come to think of it, Jasper National Park is just north of Glacier and all of the national parks in Canada are free this year with a pass you can get on line.

#23 7-31-2017 12:19 PM

rrrrolla wrote:

a great way to look at places is you tube, there are a lot of drone videos being posted.  A close option for this fall is tour the new england fall color.

https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/eco-touri … eal-mexico

#24 7-31-2017 3:08 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Posts: 129

rrrrolla wrote:

Awesome! Sounds like a great father-daughter trip!

#25 8-1-2017 12:56 PM

gillybob
Award: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Posts: 42

Re: Interesting places to bring my 16 year old daughter?

Down the east coast of Canada I really enjoyed my stops at Montreal, Ottawa, Kingston and Toronto.  Yes - Kingston.  I was looking for a single night somewhere between Ottawa and Toronto and would be taking the train.  So I simply looked for larger names on the map and, there is was, Kingston - and so many people questioned my suggestion that I was even more determined.  And now I'm looking at a future possibility which involves me going to Kingston and taking the free foot passenger ferry over to Wolfe Island and then taking the ferry on the other side into the USA.

A whole selection of options down that coast - and you don't have to drive to do the big town exploring.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer