#1 6-10-2017 6:59 AM

MalenaN
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 10

Arriving late in Lima

My plane will land in Lima at 22.30. My intention is to take a taxi from the airport to my hotel in Miraflores. However, I don't want to take a taxi from the street, but from one of the official taxi companies present inside the arrival hall. Does anyone know if the taxi counter will be open late at night?

#2 6-10-2017 7:52 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 170

Re: Arriving late in Lima

Can you get your hotel to arrange a collection?

#3 6-11-2017 8:00 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3287

Re: Arriving late in Lima

Second this - have hotel arrange a pickup.

#4 6-13-2017 10:49 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 112

Re: Arriving late in Lima

I haven't figured out yet where I'm staying when I arrive, but most of the places I've looked at offer airport pickups.

#5 7-31-2017 4:22 PM

Drycat
Posts: 3

Re: Arriving late in Lima

Having your hotel arrange the pickup is definitely the easiest solution but for what it's worth: from what I recall the taxi counter was still open even after midnight (when I arrived).

#6 7-31-2017 11:17 PM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1313

Re: Arriving late in Lima

I remember arriving pretty late and the taxi counter still being open but that was more than 10 years ago ...

#7 8-1-2017 12:04 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1961

Re: Arriving late in Lima

it is better to book your hotel on your first night in Lima and ask them to pick you up in the airport.
Lima is not the safest city in the world.
When I was there, one of the guest in the hotel was robbed at knife point at the street in Lima.
Take precaution when you go out at night in the city centre.

#8 8-1-2017 5:37 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Posts: 1313

gingerbatik wrote:

Lima is not the safest city in the world.
Take precaution when you go out at night in the city centre.

Not everyone in Lima is out to get ya! I was told by a girl on the Streets of Lima to better put my camera away since it was not a safe area, and a cab driver refused to drop us off in the city center since there was a demonstration going on, and he didn't want to charge us for the ride  either (paid it anyway!)

But if you can get a hotel pick-up thats Always the best way

#9 8-1-2017 8:05 AM

starship1
Sylvia
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 7

Re: Arriving late in Lima

I agree with you that I would not take an "outside" taxi. There are older posts on the web which advise against taking Green's Taxis, but when we visited Lima in 2014 we used the and were very happy with the service.  Taxidatum.com is also a possibility. Both of these companies were much, much less expensive than having our Miraflores hotel arrange service for us.

Hope this helps a little.

Have fun!

#10 8-5-2017 10:03 AM

Holeydel
Manchester, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 877

Re: Arriving late in Lima

I stayed at a hostel pretty close to the airport and arranged a pick up. It wasn't until a day or two later that I discovered the cab ride was expensive for what it was. Point is, if you arrange a pick up from your hotel make sure you get a price and then suss out if you're happy with it. I've just googled what it should cost and here's what came up...

The airport is about 11 km from central Lima, and 17 km from San Isidro/Miraflores. The fare to hotels in San Isidro/Miraflores is about $25, and the ride should take about 30 to 40 minutes. Fares to other districts vary. You'll pay the receptionist at the counter and get a receipt before getting a taxi.

#11 8-6-2017 12:37 AM

MalenaN
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 10

Re: Arriving late in Lima

In the end I prebooked a taxi with my hotel in Miraflores. They charged 65 soles for the taxi ride and were waiting for me in the arrival hall. I noticed though, that the three taxi stands in the arrival hall were all open when I arrived. They charge 60 soles to Miraflores. That is also what I paid when I booked a taxi at the hotel to go back to the airport.
The time it takes between the airport and Miraflores depends on the traffic. The fasted ride for me was when I arrived to Peru as it was very late. One morning when I was flying to Cusco it took 40 minutes to the airport. Coming back to Lima from Arequipa it took one hour (it was afternoon) and leaving again, to go home, it took just over 1.5 hours (we started from Miraflores at 16.45).

#12 8-6-2017 2:08 AM

Bluenose
Mike
Ascot, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 215

Re: Arriving late in Lima

Hi. I also arrived very late and chose to sleep in the airport until day light. We then walked to the main road outside the airport perimeter and got in a cheap taxi to Miraflores. 2 things I remember, when we arrived at the airport there were lots of women waiting to offer accommodation similar to what happens when you go island hopping in Greece. Secondly when we arrived at the Youth hostel the proprietor wondered why we did not go there immediately when we arrived as she would have given us a reduced rate.

#13 8-6-2017 9:32 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 828

MalenaN wrote:

Is good to know that the taxi counters are open late at night. I keep this in mind if we flying to Lima next time. The last time we were in Peru we fly in and out of Cusco

Board footer