#1 6-9-2017 4:58 AM

cloud
Warrington, England
Posts: 41

Is it safe to backpack solo around Egypt?

Hello fellow TB peeps,

I was looking at going on a month long backpacking trip to Egypt this September, but mostly to go diving. I've never been before and wanted to do some exploring to all the main sights as well. I'm 29 and not new to backpacking but given recent media coverage on warnings of not to go? What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks CJ.

Last edited by cloud (6-9-2017 4:59 AM)

#2 6-9-2017 8:17 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 960

Re: Is it safe to backpack solo around Egypt?

For backpacker I can't give the exact answer.
Egypt is popular destination especially the Red Sea, but most people going on holiday packaged, some of our friends going in August.  We went on cruise to the nile - all Egyptian sights are included in the packaged we have a local guide and sometimes we're escorted by army. If you stay on tourist track nothing will happen I think. Just don't get surprised if you see army around with guns, it's like natural in Egypt.

Last edited by shavy (6-9-2017 8:18 AM)

#3 6-9-2017 1:10 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 426

Re: Is it safe to backpack solo around Egypt?

Went there several times backbacking, the cruise you can do also cheaply with a small boat (not much comfort there), when i did it there was a sandstorm, my boat stopped, but the cruise ships as well. Beach places, Hurghada for instance, the public beach was more a garbage disposal area, the package resorts have their own beach, but not the cheap places. Using public transport and cheap accomodation you are not likely to be a target.

#4 6-9-2017 6:03 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 188

Re: Is it safe to backpack solo around Egypt?

I can't see the attraction to that part of the world at all. Just my opinion of course.

#5 6-9-2017 7:05 PM

nathanphil
Nathan
Casablanca, Morocco
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 24

Re: Is it safe to backpack solo around Egypt?

I had some very negative and some very positive experiences wandering off the beaten track in Egypt.  If you're an experienced backpacker, I'd say give it a shot... but always ask the locals about safety.  Most people are helpful and will warn you if an area is a no-go zone.

#6 6-9-2017 11:00 PM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 389

Re: Is it safe to backpack solo around Egypt?

I'd agree with Nathan's advice... ask the locals before you step off the beaten track. Generally, as a tourist, you shouldn't face any problem... but there have been occasional instances, though I wonder which part of the world is immune to such instances these days! Be a little careful if you go near the border with Sudan, ask before you go to Sinai, and simply don't venture anywhere near the border with Libya.

#7 6-28-2017 1:14 AM

continentalsafaris
Posts: 8

Re: Is it safe to backpack solo around Egypt?

You can contact local guide ,it is good for your safety because I think it is not right place to visit and enjoy your holiday.

#8 7-6-2017 9:38 AM

NerdtravelBlog
Fady
Cairo, Egypt
Posts: 2

Hey Cloud,

I'm Egyptian, yeah it's safe but you've to avoid some areas and don't go alone at mid-night. anyways you can contact me if you need more information.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer