#1 5-28-2017 12:16 PM

Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Lake Titicaca - day tour or stay the night

I have been thinking of skipping Puno and Lake Titicaca and go straight from Cusco to Arequipa, but on the other hand I think that I shouldn't miss Lake Titicaca when I am in that part of the world.

One option is to spend two nights in Puno and from there take an organised day tour to the islands.

Another option is to spend one night in Puno, one night on Taquile or Amantani and then one more night in Puno before going on to Arequipa.

It leans toward the last option. What's your option? Is it worth staying a night on one of the islands instead of taking a day tour?
Which island, Taquile or Amantani, would you recommend and why?

#2 5-29-2017 5:51 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 140

Re: Lake Titicaca - day tour or stay the night

Staying on the islands is a personal choice that I wouldn't try to influence you.  But what I can tell you is that life on the islands is very quiet and relaxed.  Unless you meet other travelers, there is little to do after the sun goes down.  That is a attractive possibility to some and a torture to others.

But what I would suggest (not knowing the bus schedule) is that you spend a full 24-hr day there, I'd suggest 2N/2D.

I personally did not stay on those islands, but from what I've been told, they are similar to those that I did stay while I visited Titicaca from the Bolivian side.

#3 5-29-2017 9:59 PM

MalenaN
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Lake Titicaca - day tour or stay the night

I don't mind quiet and slow, but usually prefer it and it sounds to be much nicer than a quick day tour. One or two nights in Puno can't be avoided as I don't travel on night buses. Ferries leave Puno in the morning and according to my guidebook they return from Amantani at 4pm, but sometimes at 8am (if it leaves at 8am two nights would definitely be best). Well, guess I have to be flexible. The first part of my Peru visit is booked, but after that I think I will see and decide while I am there.

#4 5-29-2017 11:48 PM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 167

Re: Lake Titicaca - day tour or stay the night

We didn't much like Puno, which we found scruffy and somewhat lacking in interest.  Given the choice again, we'd overnight on Taquile (which we visited as a pleasant day trip).  The floating islands you visit on the way are very touristy, but they're worth seeing as they are a stop on most of the boat trips.
From my perspective, the highlight of visiting Puno is the train journey from Cusco, and compared to that, Titicaca was somewhat underwhelming.  However, it may be a place that benefits from a longer stay in which you can explore outlying areas, rather than the two days we allocated it.
By contrast, Arequipa is wonderful, and will not disappoint.  The city itself is amazing, and Canyon del Colca is just fabulous.

#5 5-30-2017 3:15 PM

Lasttraveller
Tim
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 210

Re: Lake Titicaca - day tour or stay the night

It is pretty touristy, but worth the visit. staying overnight is optional I guess but you should stay somewhere nearby, if you find cheap place on island, then stay on island would be cooler.

#6 5-30-2017 10:35 PM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1313

Re: Lake Titicaca - day tour or stay the night

I enjoyed a homestay at one of the islands (Amantani), nice experience, touristy but with soccer game and a party by candlelight. If you're more into clubbing you might find some nice clubs in Puno.
The overnight Island trip was one of the highlights of my Peru trip, but the trip had many highlights :-)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer