#1 5-26-2017 6:33 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 109

Travel apps

I have been experimenting with a few new apps. They have a few new ones that are amazing. I am liking Tripit. I can purchase my ticket, hotel, reservations and other things from different places and put it into Tripit as one trip.

For work, I have a few of them sending me expenses on Expensify. This way they can send receipts as they get them and have them approved.

A new one I will find out more about is Waygo. This one allows you to put your phone over something written in another language and be able to read it in your own language. They are limited as yet to languages, but anticipate increasing the languages soon.

What are some you use?

 

#2 5-26-2017 6:53 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 282

Re: Travel apps

will it allow you to track mordida in mexico?

 

#3 5-26-2017 6:54 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 109

Re: Travel apps

Which one? I am not sure what Mordida is?

 

#4 5-26-2017 8:08 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 389

Re: Travel apps

Thanks for these, Lee Ann - haven't used any but will check them. In general, I don't use many. I tried Triposo a few times - helpful as a guide but also limited in some ways. Nothing to replace a good ol Lonely Planet book in one's hand - a bit old fashioned now, I would think - but I've increasingly started traveling without any guidebooks, apps or similar at all. Great feeling to just follow one's nose. Of course, one does use stuff for bookings, etc - I mostly use Kayak to book flights, booking.com to book hotels, and Trip Advisor occasionally for general queries.

 

#5 5-26-2017 10:49 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 813

Re: Travel apps

How useful, I already use waygo. I might try tripit thanks for sharing

 

#6 5-27-2017 1:28 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 140

Re: Travel apps

Personally speaking, I try to avoid guide books.  And if I'm on a proper holiday, I'd rather just leave my phone in the bottom of my bag.

As long as a I have a good map, I'm happy.  In some places, paper maps are available and do not necessarily make the user a target for petty crimes.  But in places where paper maps are not available or where pulling out a map would just attract unwanted attention, I use Galileo.

But when I'm traveling for work, we have to track expenses in Concur.  TripIt is not mandatory for us, but has been encouraged for many years.  If you link to friends/colleagues, you can see when you're traveling to the same places and you can compare miles/destinations.

 

#7 5-27-2017 2:41 PM

stefaniegreen
Stefanie
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Spambuster I
Sightseer
Posts: 65

Re: Travel apps

I use Uber some to get around or public transit. Kayak to book my flight. Booking for hotels.

 

#8 5-27-2017 5:29 PM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 3768

Re: Travel apps

Here is a relatively lengthy post I made almost two years ago. To date, I have over 500 apps on my iPhone, of which at least 200 are travel or related info related.

Recent ones for me that I would add to this list are Google Trips, Momondo, Travello, Trivago, etc.

Blake223 wrote:

I read a post on here recently about people having upwards of 100 apps on their phones related to travel. I have a few but nowhere near that many, any app recommendations? As a full time backpacker i could use all the help i can get haha

Obviously you were referring to me big_smile

Here are 30 for starters (and by category):

Mapping Apps
1) Pocket Earth - offline map ($2.99 at the Apple Appstore). http://pocketearth.com/
2) National Geographic World Atlas - http://www.nationalgeographic.com/apps/ (they also have a city guide for London, Paris, Rome and New York)
3) Apple iOS Maps
4) Google Maps (also good for online navigation)

Tracking software
5) Glympse - allows you to send others your location and speed for a limited time - https://www.glympse.com/
6) Find my Friends on iOS (Free)
7) Google has its own tracker as well which you can share with friends - Free
8) Find my iPhone (just in case you misplace or lose your phone) also Free

Itinerary related Apps
9) WorldMate - there is a free and premium version which allows you to forward confirmation emails and it will summarize these
10) TripIt - allows you to share with friends and other TripIt users as well (same concept as WorldMate)
11) Travefy - www.travefy.com (currently my favorite for creating and sharing itineraries) - Free
12) Rome2Rio - similar to travefy but I like the PC version better (Free)
13) Tripline

List creation apps
14) Stow
15) TripList
16) Tripomatic

Reservations apps most are free
17) Expedia
18) Kayak
19) Skyscanner
20) Hotelscombined
21) Hipmunk
22) Uber
23) GrabTaxi
24) Viator

Flight and airport related apps
25) Flightradar24 - my favorite for tracking flights if they will be on time or not. Nice animated map (Free but premium has way more features)
26) Flight+ - similar to FlightRadar24 but also includes airport info
27) Flightaware
28) Seatguru - check where you will be seating on your flight - recommendations helpful (Free)

Others
29) Google Docs - for sharing plans and reviews
30) Google Sheets - I use for planning and collaborating itinerary details

City Guides
TripAdvisor - quite handy and useful
TimeOut guides - again, one app per destination

I have specified some that are paid for but worth the money. Most are free. Note that I have not included yet individual airline apps, frequent flyer apps, languages, photography, weather, conversion, messaging and other apps. With all of these my total goes way over 100 apps.

Bonus for you as a backpacker:

Hikemate
Altimeter
MotionX
MovesTracker

 

#9 5-30-2017 9:11 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 109

Re: Travel apps

DaveSwede wrote:

Personally speaking, I try to avoid guide books.  And if I'm on a proper holiday, I'd rather just leave my phone in the bottom of my bag.

As long as a I have a good map, I'm happy.  In some places, paper maps are available and do not necessarily make the user a target for petty crimes.  But in places where paper maps are not available or where pulling out a map would just attract unwanted attention, I use Galileo.

But when I'm traveling for work, we have to track expenses in Concur.  TripIt is not mandatory for us, but has been encouraged for many years.  If you link to friends/colleagues, you can see when you're traveling to the same places and you can compare miles/destinations.

Concur has a place for expenses? I did not see that. We use Concur at work already. Is that an add on to the app or is it a normal part of it?

 

#10 5-30-2017 9:13 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 109

Re: Travel apps

nolan wrote:

Here is a relatively lengthy post I made almost two years ago. To date, I have over 500 apps on my iPhone, of which at least 200 are travel or related info related.

Recent ones for me that I would add to this list are Google Trips, Momondo, Travello, Trivago, etc.

Blake223 wrote:

I read a post on here recently about people having upwards of 100 apps on their phones related to travel. I have a few but nowhere near that many, any app recommendations? As a full time backpacker i could use all the help i can get haha

Obviously you were referring to me big_smile

Here are 30 for starters (and by category):

Mapping Apps
1) Pocket Earth - offline map ($2.99 at the Apple Appstore). http://pocketearth.com/
2) National Geographic World Atlas - http://www.nationalgeographic.com/apps/ (they also have a city guide for London, Paris, Rome and New York)
3) Apple iOS Maps
4) Google Maps (also good for online navigation)

Tracking software
5) Glympse - allows you to send others your location and speed for a limited time - https://www.glympse.com/
6) Find my Friends on iOS (Free)
7) Google has its own tracker as well which you can share with friends - Free
8) Find my iPhone (just in case you misplace or lose your phone) also Free

Itinerary related Apps
9) WorldMate - there is a free and premium version which allows you to forward confirmation emails and it will summarize these
10) TripIt - allows you to share with friends and other TripIt users as well (same concept as WorldMate)
11) Travefy - www.travefy.com (currently my favorite for creating and sharing itineraries) - Free
12) Rome2Rio - similar to travefy but I like the PC version better (Free)
13) Tripline

List creation apps
14) Stow
15) TripList
16) Tripomatic

Reservations apps most are free
17) Expedia
18) Kayak
19) Skyscanner
20) Hotelscombined
21) Hipmunk
22) Uber
23) GrabTaxi
24) Viator

Flight and airport related apps
25) Flightradar24 - my favorite for tracking flights if they will be on time or not. Nice animated map (Free but premium has way more features)
26) Flight+ - similar to FlightRadar24 but also includes airport info
27) Flightaware
28) Seatguru - check where you will be seating on your flight - recommendations helpful (Free)

Others
29) Google Docs - for sharing plans and reviews
30) Google Sheets - I use for planning and collaborating itinerary details

City Guides
TripAdvisor - quite handy and useful
TimeOut guides - again, one app per destination

I have specified some that are paid for but worth the money. Most are free. Note that I have not included yet individual airline apps, frequent flyer apps, languages, photography, weather, conversion, messaging and other apps. With all of these my total goes way over 100 apps.

Bonus for you as a backpacker:

Hikemate
Altimeter
MotionX
MovesTracker

Wow! I am going to have to explore some of those.

 

#11 5-30-2017 6:53 PM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 140

Re: Travel apps

Dymphna wrote:

DaveSwede wrote:

Personally speaking, I try to avoid guide books.  And if I'm on a proper holiday, I'd rather just leave my phone in the bottom of my bag.

As long as a I have a good map, I'm happy.  In some places, paper maps are available and do not necessarily make the user a target for petty crimes.  But in places where paper maps are not available or where pulling out a map would just attract unwanted attention, I use Galileo.

But when I'm traveling for work, we have to track expenses in Concur.  TripIt is not mandatory for us, but has been encouraged for many years.  If you link to friends/colleagues, you can see when you're traveling to the same places and you can compare miles/destinations.

Concur has a place for expenses? I did not see that. We use Concur at work already. Is that an add on to the app or is it a normal part of it?

For us, Concur (Concur Solutions - version 9.44) can be linked to our corporate credit card.  We can access it through a web portal on our computers or in the mobile app directly.  Any corporate credit card charge will automatically show up in ~3 days.  Any cash expenses can be entered manually.  Being on a smart phone, the app asks for permission to use the camera/photos and therefore you can take pictures of the receipts.  And 'if' the hotel or airline has e-reciepts, the receipt is automatically part of the credit card posting and therefore a photo of the original will not be required.  My only complaint about the mobile app vs the internet portal is that the app does not have an option to associate cash advances to an expense report, while the webpage does have that functionality.

Concur also lets us search and book air/hotel/car within the list of our approved corporate vendors.

For business travel, we 'must' use Concur.  However there are some times when particular destinations and/or flights are not listed, at which point, I'll just book directly with that vendor.

 

#12 6-2-2017 8:08 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 109

Re: Travel apps

DaveSwede wrote:

Dymphna wrote:

DaveSwede wrote:

Personally speaking, I try to avoid guide books.  And if I'm on a proper holiday, I'd rather just leave my phone in the bottom of my bag.

As long as a I have a good map, I'm happy.  In some places, paper maps are available and do not necessarily make the user a target for petty crimes.  But in places where paper maps are not available or where pulling out a map would just attract unwanted attention, I use Galileo.

But when I'm traveling for work, we have to track expenses in Concur.  TripIt is not mandatory for us, but has been encouraged for many years.  If you link to friends/colleagues, you can see when you're traveling to the same places and you can compare miles/destinations.

Concur has a place for expenses? I did not see that. We use Concur at work already. Is that an add on to the app or is it a normal part of it?

For us, Concur (Concur Solutions - version 9.44) can be linked to our corporate credit card.  We can access it through a web portal on our computers or in the mobile app directly.  Any corporate credit card charge will automatically show up in ~3 days.  Any cash expenses can be entered manually.  Being on a smart phone, the app asks for permission to use the camera/photos and therefore you can take pictures of the receipts.  And 'if' the hotel or airline has e-reciepts, the receipt is automatically part of the credit card posting and therefore a photo of the original will not be required.  My only complaint about the mobile app vs the internet portal is that the app does not have an option to associate cash advances to an expense report, while the webpage does have that functionality.

Concur also lets us search and book air/hotel/car within the list of our approved corporate vendors.

For business travel, we 'must' use Concur.  However there are some times when particular destinations and/or flights are not listed, at which point, I'll just book directly with that vendor.

Great information. I have the app, but never noticed anything about expenses on it. I am the administrator for the travel here at work, so I am supposed to be training people on it. (Some help I am.) I knew about e-receipts and the corporate card. But we just started on Concur a few months ago. We were on Nuetravel before, but Altour dumped Nuetravel for technical errors they were not fixing.

Do they allow you to use the app for personal travel, our company does allow personal travel? You have to enter your own cc to your profile page.

 

#13 6-2-2017 9:55 PM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 140

Re: Travel apps

Dymphna wrote:

Do they allow you to use the app for personal travel, our company does allow personal travel? You have to enter your own cc to your profile page.

On the web portal, it is easy to change credit cards and select which one you want associated to each booking.  So yes, you could use it for personal travel.

Theoretically you can do it on the mobile app too, but the reality is that the app uses your default credit card.  And the steps to change credit cards on the app just makes it frustrating.

 

#14 6-2-2017 10:06 PM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 389

Re: Travel apps

Wow, that's quite a list, Nolan! smile

 

#15 6-5-2017 2:30 AM

nyk_flashpacker
nyk
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 216

Re: Travel apps

I think I'd have few mentioned above, I think most of the useful ones have been listed., I do not use too many of them, may be couple of them in each category.

Category wise a couple of apps for

flights/ hotels/ hostels
maps
language translation/ currency
sights

 

#16 6-6-2017 1:16 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 3768

Re: Travel apps

Apurva_N wrote:

Wow, that's quite a list, Nolan! smile

Yeah, although I need to junk those which haven't been updated since iOS 9...

This is just me, I usually have 3 of everything installed. Sometimes though updating them (especially offline maps) is such a pain because you have to download all those that need to be updated (otherwise you need to delete them) - I almost had problems navigating eastern Taiwan as I didn't update Pocket Earth, and Maps.me (backup offline mapping app) I had only updated North Taiwan on my phone. So what do I do? Use the older version on my iPad, LOL.

 

#17 6-6-2017 1:46 PM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 109

Re: Travel apps

nolan wrote:

Apurva_N wrote:

Wow, that's quite a list, Nolan! smile

Yeah, although I need to junk those which haven't been updated since iOS 9...

This is just me, I usually have 3 of everything installed. Sometimes though updating them (especially offline maps) is such a pain because you have to download all those that need to be updated (otherwise you need to delete them) - I almost had problems navigating eastern Taiwan as I didn't update Pocket Earth, and Maps.me (backup offline mapping app) I had only updated North Taiwan on my phone. So what do I do? Use the older version on my iPad, LOL.

They need an app to update apps.

 

#18 6-6-2017 2:16 PM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 9799

Re: Travel apps

I have just one app, which is the Delta app.

Very old school and low tech here......need a paper map.
Where is my rotary dial phone?

 

#19 6-7-2017 6:11 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 3768

Re: Travel apps

MattBurns wrote:

As far as mapping apps go, I've just recently discovered maps.me and its awesome!
You can download extremely detailed maps of each area/country as you need them, so it works completely offline. The app then uses your phones GPS to pinpoint your location on the offline map.
There's heaps of features in it, and I'm still getting to grips with it and discovering what you can do, but so far I've been really impressed. Well worth checking out.

My main offline map is still Pocket Earth (gotta maximize what I paid for) but I also like Maps.me. However having two separate databases for two apps (even though they use Google maps data) will use up a huge amount of memory on my iPhone (at least 15GB for the whole of the offline world on Pocket Earth). Although my iPhone can handle all the memory requirements, I don't want to squeeze the free space down to less than 10% of 256GB.

 

#20 6-25-2017 9:52 AM

marshallgreene1414
Couch Potato
Posts: 3

Re: Travel apps

Backpackr is great to match up solo traveler, there are some others like it but that one in my opinion is the best. I've used it and had a great trip!

 

#21 6-25-2017 9:37 PM

marshallgreene1414
Couch Potato
Posts: 3

Re: Travel apps

Wimby Travel is great for checking out pre made itineraries for destinations around the world.

 

#22 6-30-2017 10:17 PM

DestinationAddict
British Columbia, Canada
Couch Potato
Posts: 4

Re: Travel apps

maps.me is amazing! Does not use any internet or data while in use. You just have to download the maps of the country you are heading to (while you have wifi) and just use it like google maps or a sat nav in a car. We use it everywhere we go so useful!

 

#23 7-3-2017 6:01 AM

taramolloy
Couch Potato
Posts: 3

Re: Travel apps

I used one of those apps that translate text when you hover over it with your phone. It was more amusing than helpful

 

#24 7-4-2017 2:34 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato
Posts: 42

Re: Travel apps

For planning US road trips I like Roadtrippers, which has both an app version which I have on my iPad and website (https://roadtrippers.com/) - you can sync between the two. It's good for plotting a route, with mileage, and then seeing what interesting and sometimes quirky sights lie either side and might be worth a detour. It also has links to accommodation and most of the entries on the map have urls so you can explore further.

 

#25 7-19-2017 2:30 AM

drubenj
Couch Potato
Posts: 11

Re: Travel apps

I find Trivago very useful in finding nice hotels that fit my budget.

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB