#26 6-24-2017 6:27 AM

jthom wrote:

Thinking of going traveling alone. Does the adventure out weigh not having your friends there?

BEST DECISION YOU WILL EVER MAKE smile

Not having friends (or anyone you know) liberates you, it calls you to do things you never thought you would do before, you have to stand up for yourself and not give in to peer-pressure. You can literally do whatever you want.

Best decision I made and I will always travel alone at least once every year.

#27 8-16-2017 2:38 AM

travelgreek
Jennifer
Michigan City, Indiana
Posts: 17

Re: The decision to travel alone

For a woman like me that is not a good idea. There are many things you will never know that may happen and you are in a foreign country by yourself. And I think sharing a beautiful scenery with people you love is the best thing

#28 8-16-2017 6:03 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Posts: 5999

travelgreek wrote:

Between the ages of 18 and 29 (when I met my husband), almost all my travel was solo. I was 5'2" and a uk 10 (so maybe a US 6/8) and looked five years younger than I was for most of that time. If you don't want to travel alone because you don't like traveling alone and you like having friends with you, then that's a great decision. But if you do want to travel, no one you know will come with you and you're waiting and miserable, don't let the lies and exaggerations people tell you put you off. The world is not as scary or dangerous a place as people want to tell you it is and with the exception of street cat-calling women are not more at risk than men.

Last edited by sarahelaine (8-16-2017 6:04 AM)

#29 8-16-2017 6:38 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 960

travelgreek wrote:

If you never try to travel alone you stuck inside your house big_smile
Everything can happen even inside your home. Wow what an opinion you have here, I start traveling alone when I was 18 in a foreign country. Of course if you have travel companion is more nice

#30 8-16-2017 6:50 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1350

travelgreek wrote:

Why is it not a good idea? Things can happen everywhere
If you travel alone doesn't mean your by yourself all the time! You can make lots of friends on the way and especially at hostels. And there are always people willing to help a foreign traveller out!
You just have to try to know if you like it or not, if you're not sure start with a trip not too far from home

Last edited by stefmuts (8-16-2017 6:51 AM)

#31 8-16-2017 11:16 AM

gillybob
Award: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Posts: 42

sarahelaine wrote:

I don't think you'll like this answer- it depends. Some people are comfortable alone, some people are thoroughly miserable. And some people are great at making friends on the road naturally, some can learn (I'm getting better at it as I practice), and others will always find it too hard.

.......

Sarahelaine provides good perspective here and I would wholly agree with her.  It does depend on your own personality - along with duration/frequency of solo and friend/group travel.  I always enjoy my solo travels but equally enjoy the time (and budget reduction) of travelling with friends.  I do a mixture of both.

#32 8-16-2017 5:20 PM

TravChef
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1957

Re: The decision to travel alone

I don't like to travel alone and I don't like people stick to me neither. The best idea (for me) is to travel together but not always do things together..giving a personal space and let yourself do what you want to do for example if you want to go to museum, then you go. No need to wait for approval or time of your friends (you can ask them of course that you will go there and if they want to join). On the other hand, you have to make it clear with your friend that if you don't want to go according to their time slot, don't get it personal, you just want to spend time with yourself.

#33 8-17-2017 12:07 AM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: The decision to travel alone

Here in the states I run across that "foreign" countries are dangerous crap all the time. Mostly from small town folks who would never venture out alone. The TV they watch tells them that it is dangerous and they take movies seriously. As a female you can be kidnapped from your local supermarket. That sucks. As a man you can get robbed in any city in any country including all over the US. I even had a conversation with a grown man I had known for 30 years telling me reasons why he doesn't trust other countries.

Travelling alone is awesome and I have made lifelong pals and I have visited friends abroad. I even have had a friend living in Shanghai visit me in the states twice and we met online! And we get along great!! If you live in fear, stay your but home or go to resort only trips with the group. Or the cruise. Not everyone is built for alone world travel. But if you are, forge ahead with nothing but positive thoughts of what you are going to see, and the other travelers like you who would love to share a drink and a tale or two!

#34 8-17-2017 1:36 AM

nolan
Posts: 3786

Re: The decision to travel alone

Jennifer, I noticed in one post you mentioned you love traveling with your husband and child. I agree with that (am married and have kids of my own) and I can see where you're coming from. We have friends who would never travel alone, especially leave their young kids at home with the spouse, and we also have friends who have to leave the whole family behind, whether for work travel, or because they like traveling solo (which is a bit less common). It is difficult for a parent of a young child to leave them behind, especially if the child is clingy/emotionally attached to that parent, and so on.

However it isn't impossible. Traveling alone doesn't mean traveling lonely, or at risk of whatever dangers lurk in a foreign land. One of my good TravBuddy friends has many kids, a husband, and yet she travels alone, or with friends she meets along the way. The decision to travel is primarily hers, and usually with the consent of the rest of the family. And she has one of the greatest perspectives about this world of ours that I highly appreciate and wish to emulate.

The internet nowadays makes one keep in touch with family even more instantaneously than those who extensively traveled in the past, not just by voice but by video. Of course, going to a remote location may initially be a daunting task, but later on, being disconnected temporarily allows one (and family) to discover more about themselves, their relationship, what they want in life, and so on. Many have taken a vacation from a job they never liked, gotten a "Eureka" moment, and came back with a fresh perspective and made life changing decisions for the better.

Bottomline is, it really depends on one's perspective and how he or she communicates the desire to travel and learn about the world to the loved ones. Traveling solo to me is one of the biggest eye openers of any person at a particular point in their life.

#35 8-17-2017 8:46 PM

travelgreek
Jennifer
Michigan City, Indiana
Posts: 17

nolan wrote:

Thank Nolan for your input, what you said is very true. It really depends on one's perspective then.

#36 8-18-2017 3:28 AM

#37 8-18-2017 7:05 PM

denisx
Douglas
Bedford, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 368

Re: The decision to travel alone

I frequently travel alone. There have been times when I traveled with other people and wished I had traveled alone!!!! One trip to Thailand, I made friends with 2 Swedes and I joined them on 3 other trips afterwards!!! I highly recommend traveling alone. Make friends and travel companions along the way

#38 8-18-2017 8:50 PM

TravChef
Posts: 1957

fransglobal wrote:

When?

#39 8-19-2017 12:40 AM

travelgreek wrote:

what do you mean for a woman like you? I think that statement itself is degrading yourself and other women that are brave to go around the world. I've been traveling alone since I was 21. There have never been situation where I was oblivious of my surrounding, where I felt threatened. The one time I was robbed was when I was with a group of four, two guys and another girl. It kind of ruined the rest of our trip because everyone was blaming it on each other.

I acknowledge that everyone has different method of travel, and you have other methods than mine (and some others) but the statement you made is very degrading to other women. So I would ask you kindly to broaden your perspective to be respectful of others.

#40 8-19-2017 4:17 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium

travelgreek wrote:

Gosh, it seems to me that the reactions to travelgreek's comment have been a bit harsh.
As I see it, she expressed an honest preference, and she's entitled to her opinion, rather than having the exact wording of her posting dissected.
Would the reaction have been as judgemental if she'd said 'a person like me', rather than 'a woman like me'?

#42 8-20-2017 6:13 AM

travelgreek wrote:

Maybe it's the words she chose to use. Rather than even using the phrase "a person like me", if she had said, "for me personally", then her comment would not have flared up such harsh conversation. But by using such words, she depicted all women as individuals who "will never know [what] may happen [when] you are in a foreign country by yourself"... assuming these "happenings" are dangerous in nature. I took offense to this statement since it made it sound like all women shouldn't travel by themselves, when some are trying so hard to break that mindset and gender norm.

#43 8-20-2017 6:21 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium

emjaaay2 wrote:

I have been working and travelling by myself (as well as with my family and friends) for over 30 years, so I understand the point that you are trying to make.  But it seems hypersensitive to see her comment as 'degrading' and a slight on all women travellers.
On a website that encourages participation from people of many nationalities - many of whom do not speak English as their mother tongue - I personally don't think it's particularly helpful to zero in on a specific phrase.

Last edited by harbinger (8-20-2017 6:22 AM)

#44 8-20-2017 9:35 AM

harbinger wrote:

FYI... original poster is actually from Michigan, USA.

But I absolutely agree with you; I understand that I may (along with other commenters in previous page) have overreacted. I will have better forum etiquette in the future.

#45 8-21-2017 12:23 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Posts: 1350

emjaaay2 wrote:

I was thinking the same as your Original reaction but I toned mine down, and after reading Nolans reaction I'm glad I did; 'for a woman like me' - she meant with a husband and child - I would not go travel solo leaving a small child at home either
She might have choosen her words different though

#46 8-21-2017 10:41 PM

sksharma
Sumit
Posts: 5

Re: The decision to travel alone

It depends on many things and if you really want to know alone travel is better or not so you have to experience it yourself.

#47 9-7-2017 1:32 AM

suhasj123
Suhas
India
Posts: 9

Re: The decision to travel alone

Yes, you can go for the trip alone. But before this, you should know everything what things you can carry with yourself as you will be alone there carry only important things make a list of them. Here are the few places I would like to tell you can visit as a solo traveler without having any safety doubt in your mind.

1. Hawaii: The beaches are wonderful and can transform a dull day into full of life. Everyone there is extremely happy, relaxed and friendly.

2.Madrid: Madrid is one of the favorite places of choice. It’s very safe and quite easy to move around as well.

3. Barcelona: If you like art, history, or nature you must travel to Barcelona, it has something for every traveler. It’s pretty affordable compared to some of the other places in Europe.

4. Cuba: With rich and interesting past, a perfect place for solo travelers.

5. New Zealand: A country, quite stunning indeed. The people are great at hospitality and you will feel glad to make it a choice.

Hope you will enjoy you these places.

#48 9-7-2017 2:19 AM

Kathmandu1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 339

Re: The decision to travel alone

You will meet so many people even you go alone, no matter wherever you go unless you go for deep meditation.

#49 9-13-2017 11:23 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: The decision to travel alone

I am going to weigh in here albeit a little late.

Apart from my annual summer roadtrip in Canada with my (female) friend and her usually Autumn (fall) visits to Europe which we both throroughly enjoy, I almost always travel alone.  Over the years and in about 40 countries or whatever it is now, I have met many solo travellers who have been having a wonderful time.

I am reminded of a thing that a very well travelled guy told me literally decades ago which was, "If you want to lose your best friend, go travelling with them".  I have yet to seen him proved wrong!

#50 9-14-2017 1:22 PM

ellechic
New York, New York
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 172

Re: The decision to travel alone

Like everyone said, it depends --- on your personality, the country you're traveling to, what you plan to do/see, and where you'll be staying.

Half of my trips have been solo, while half are with friends or family. Most I travel solo because I cannot stand waiting for my friends/family to make up their mind. - so I just book it and let them know my plans so they can join if they can.

That being said, the countries I visit also differ when I'm traveling solo.

I often stay at hostels or boutique hostels when I travel solo - for the social atmosphere, but more frequently book my own room (unless I'm on a tight budget or in a more sociable mood), rather than dorms. Hostels often have planned activities they plan and it's a great way to meet travelers.

Some countries are friendlier than others - in terms of easily striking up conversation upon meeting them, while others are on the shy end.

It also depends on what you want to do. On my recent trip to South Africa and Namibia, I did South Africa on my own where I did walking tours and what not solo, but also booked day trips on others places I wanted to see. For Namibia, I booked a group camping tour for 12 days. It was a mixed of solo travelers and friends so everyone was friendly and social.

During the last 2 or 3 days of my trips, I often book myself in a hotel so I can relax and pamper myself.

In the end, you'll never know until you try it. You may hate it, you may love it. At the end, you'll know yourself more. ^_^

Board footer