#1 5-24-2017 11:08 AM

jthom
John
New Jersey, United States
Posts: 7

The decision to travel alone

Thinking of going traveling alone. Does the adventure out weigh not having your friends there?

#2 5-24-2017 1:55 PM

tombom07
Tom
Huddersfield, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 286

Re: The decision to travel alone

From my experiences, yes.

Do it smile You'll be forever liberated!

#3 5-24-2017 3:39 PM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 4128

Re: The decision to travel alone

it depends on the personality, sometimes i have / had trouble engaging myself to strangers, its just my personality -  its complex. i'm not the one who strikes a conversation to people i dont know. if people came up to me, then i'd be happy to engage my self. i travelled alot with "strangers" but we communicated first through messages.

the longest trips i had done with myself was 3 weeks in nepal and trekked the himalayas. although i was with 2 sherpas, i was technically  by myself coz when eating, they dont eat with me. i had a different sleeping quarter than them, trekking - they were far ahead, and most of the time, i was alone on the road (but they never left their sight on me), conversation - difficult coz of limited english - we laughed and joked alot but jokes - difficult coz i hard a hard time explaining whats this and that. meeting other trekkers - was fun - but most of the time - i couldnt stand the bragging - its like the sound of fingernails scratching the board, so i leave. i didnt got high altitude sickness but i had high altitude depression - coz i missed a true company in a desolate and barren landscape of the high himalayas (the sherpas were so amazing and never left me if we get into trouble but what i missed was someone - someone to "bitch" around). very complicated situation.

then 10 days hiking in the valais alps alone - heck, i started talking to myself!

in a way - being alone - you can do whatever you want withouth considering what the other/s would want to do or which route to take. decisions are easy to make in a snap.

#4 5-24-2017 4:10 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5998

Re: The decision to travel alone

I don't think you'll like this answer- it depends. Some people are comfortable alone, some people are thoroughly miserable. And some people are great at making friends on the road naturally, some can learn (I'm getting better at it as I practice), and others will always find it too hard.

Be honest with yourself. If you're either totally comfortable alone (like me) or great at making friends, then yes, the adventure outweighs not having your r friends. In fact I actively prefer traveling alone some places- I can set my own pace and agenda and I don't have to sunbathe or shop or compromise on restaurant budgets. If you are both shy, and prone to going off your head if you have to be alone, it'll be hard. It might still be worth it, especially if realistically you'll never get your friends to do the trip you want. But I'd say get some practice in, maybe a weekend somewhere you speak the language before three months somewhere you don't. Practice eating alone in public or making small talk in cafes or public transport, that sort of thing. Otherwise the big trio can be a bit of a shock.

#5 5-24-2017 4:56 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 459

Re: The decision to travel alone

I can't travel alone anymore because I need help with my scooter.  In the beginning I traveled with my parents, and then a little bit with just my sister.  But most of my travel (other that trips for training with co-workers) has been either alone or with my husband.  I guess I am essentially a loner though because over the long haul, I'd rather be with my husband or alone.  I have no problem talking to people that I don't know, and then when that part of the trip ends, I have no problem going on without them.  I'm not one of those people who makes life-long friends on a trip that I visit them again and again like my sister.  I don't miss traveling with friends.

#6 5-25-2017 2:08 AM

Maurizioago
Maurizio
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 158

Re: The decision to travel alone

I' ve been travelling alone for more than 20 years. I decided to do it because I couldn't find some friends to come on holidays with me most of the time. The only time I travelled with a friend it was a bad holiday.

I like travelling alone. I can do what I like. Go for it. You will surely find somebody to talk to if you like.

#7 5-25-2017 2:34 AM

nolan
Posts: 3784

Re: The decision to travel alone

In line with Sarah, I would say IT DEPENDS on your personality type.

Maybe try taking the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) test and find out if you are an extrovert or introvert. Extroverts will travel with most people, prefer company than being alone, whereas introverts prefer to travel with close family/friends, or solo. But that doesn't discount extroverts traveling solo and then making friends along the way.

I am an extrovert, but I am flexible enough to withdraw into "solo travel" mode if I feel like it or want to observe people and my surroundings. Overall, I just like to travel so it doesn't matter whether I go solo or with others ... it's the goal of the journey, not necessarily who to take along.

#8 5-25-2017 5:45 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 121

Re: The decision to travel alone

You'll never know until you try.

#9 5-25-2017 6:02 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 167

Re: The decision to travel alone

I love travelling with my husband and family, but I also really enjoy travelling on my own.
It's hard to imagine something more self defeating than a reluctant travel companion, or one that you don't share common values with.  The worst trip of my life was an Interrailing trip around Scandinavia with a friend of my then boyfriend, who wanted to go to the same places but had a very different view on how to travel (and what to spend in the process). It wasn't that either of us were right .. we just had different views on how to approach the same opportunity.
Perhaps you should experiment by taking baby steps first?  For example, last weekend, I went with my husband and kids to watch a movie in a nearby town.  Superheroes bore me to death, so they watched the movie whilst I went walkabout in the town, visiting churches and historical monuments and all those other things that bore them rigid.  We all returned having had a great time - just different experiences.

#10 5-25-2017 3:55 PM

stefaniegreen
Stefanie
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 65

Re: The decision to travel alone

Highly recommended to go solo you don't have to wait on anyone to go some place. You are able to do your own thing at your pace.

#11 5-26-2017 3:35 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1349

Re: The decision to travel alone

I like travelling alone, but I also like travelling alone in a group. My ideas on travelling differ from the ideas of my friends so I don't think it's good idea to do that for more than a few days

#12 5-26-2017 5:22 AM

amitshir
Eilat, Israel
Posts: 5

Re: The decision to travel alone

Yes, you can travel alone to different places in this world. Actually traveling alone is a unique thinking of some unique people, who love to travel alone. A few days back I had gone to Israel alone through Mantis Tourism & Attractions and there I had a great experience of how life can be without anyone. We all should do a trip alone to know ourselves better than other.

#13 5-26-2017 8:22 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 389

Re: The decision to travel alone

I'd agree with Sarah, Nolan, Lauro - it depends. smile  I've mostly traveled alone, for two+ decades, and loved it. The freedom and flexibility is great. But I've also travelled with my parents, with my ex-girlfriend, with friends, and with companions one makes along the way - all have had their good aspects. So it depends on a lot of things - you, your mood, your purpose, your destination... I'd say that if you haven't traveled alone, try it!

#14 5-26-2017 5:57 PM

Rixie
San Francisco, California
Posts: 1

Re: The decision to travel alone

There are pros and cons to traveling alone. On one hand, when it's just you, you're free. You don't have to consult anyone - you can get up when you feel like it, leave your lodging when it suits you, eat what appeals to you, and do exactly what you want to during the day. On the other hand, you don't have anyone to share laughs and observations with, or to watch your bags for you in stations and airports.

I have had enjoyable trips both ways. But because I'm on the quiet side and don't strike up conversations with strangers easily, my preference is to travel with someone. I still am not comfortable eating alone in restaurants.

But if it's a choice between traveling solo or not travelling at all, I'd definitely go solo!

#15 5-27-2017 12:47 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Posts: 84

Re: The decision to travel alone

As others have suggested, try it and see how it feels.

#16 6-21-2017 12:08 AM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 353

Re: The decision to travel alone

Depends on your personality and what you've actually done on trips so far.

I think traveling is mainly a personality thing: it depends from what you want from it.

Traveling alone is faster, you won't have to adjust to others and you won't bother each other. Plus: you can always meet new people while on the road.

Some people are keen to feeling alone on trips (I don't) and some people are actually afraid of traveling alone.

Try it, you'll never know how it is until you've tried it!

#17 6-21-2017 1:22 AM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1083

Re: The decision to travel alone

If you have access to internet, you will quite unlikely to feel "not having your friends there".

#18 6-21-2017 8:09 AM

bula_niki
Niki
Cambridge, England
Posts: 69

Re: The decision to travel alone

I decided to travel solo through South-East Asia in my early 20s, as I was sick of my friends pulling out of travel plans. I got drunk one night and had a tantrum, and booked a flight to Vietnam on the spot haha I'm so glad I did, as, although very daunting as a 22 year old female, it was an amazing experience and I met some wonderful people on the road, who I am still friends with a decade later!
The independence of travelling alone is exhilarating, though sometimes I'll see something and want to talk about it with someone, but find myself alone. And it's far more comforting to get into trouble with someone else than by yourself!
Perhaps try a short solo trip for your first time?

#19 6-21-2017 6:46 PM

WalterC
Walter
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 561

Re: The decision to travel alone

Oh yeah! There was a time when I would not travel unless I went with someone. But when that did happen a few times, I started to realize how much of a drag the trip was becoming. Mainly because the travel companion did not seem into the trip as much as I was.

I would try it out with a domestic location, and see how it feels for you.

#20 6-21-2017 8:09 PM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 161

Re: The decision to travel alone

In the last 20+ years, I'd estimate that 95% of my trips have been solo.  To double what everyone else says, it really depends on the individual.

But the two main factors for me are:
- that I truly like the adventure of going to backwater places, off the beaten path and to places that are simply not highly traveled.  I have not yet found a friend that has that same enthusiasm or comfort in the unknown - so I do it alone.  When I'm going to some beach resort or a developed visitor-friendly area, then I'll invite someone along.  But that too may be a sacrifice to me since I know they may just want to sit on the beach all day when I want to explore the interior.
- I enjoy trying to meet and mix with the local people, to learn what makes them tick.  One person doing this is easier since they will be less intimidated and willing to invite you into their circles.  Even two people makes this scenario more difficult since you already have a partner, a conversation, a poker buddy, etc which may keep the barriers up from the locals a little more.

Last edited by DaveSwede (6-21-2017 8:10 PM)

#21 6-21-2017 8:50 PM

ScenicTravel
Australia
Posts: 6

Re: The decision to travel alone

I like travelling alone as then I can do what I want to do at my pace.  I do make friends easily and virtually talk to anybody, I guess this makes it easier.  My last trip on my own, I became sick, this was when I wished I had somebody with me, but other than that I have never regretted being on my own.  You really need to try it to see if it's for you or not.

#22 6-21-2017 9:38 PM

gemmapurcell
Gemma
Posts: 43

Re: The decision to travel alone

Travelling alone will change your life. Don’t get me wrong, any form of drifting around this beautiful planet will get changes and improvement to the lives of those with restless feet, but there’s something special about solo adventures. Travelling by yourself means not being able to rely on anyone else to get the most out of your trips.

#23 6-22-2017 7:39 PM

kylepimp
Posts: 7

Re: The decision to travel alone

Yeah it's worth it. You will experience hella good and memorable things if you travel alone. Because you would do whatever you want. but if you go with your buddy, you guys have to find a compromise for certain action.

#24 6-23-2017 2:24 AM

nolan
Posts: 3784

Re: The decision to travel alone

It depends on one's intent and motives for traveling.

Is being with friends the single most important reason to take a trip or not? If this can be answered, then the chances of travel materializing will be dependent on those friends. Some will say yes at first, and then circumstances change, people back out, and so on (put whatever excuse you want).

Or is it travel for travel's sake? No matter what, such people will find excuses to travel, with or without companions. For sure, travel plans change, and there will always be instances were cancellations even happen at the last minute (accidents, death, work, money, etc.), but the passionate travelers will always find ways to avoid making excuses spell the end of the trip. One can always postpone, prepone, add more people, etc. etc.

#25 6-23-2017 4:53 AM

nyk_flashpacker
nyk
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 216

Re: The decision to travel alone

if you are ok travelling alone, then you should do a solo trip. It will be a great experience. then when you do a trip with friends you might know what suits you more.

but decision to do that might totally vary from person to person and circumstances (travel dates/ plan, costs, travel company, individual interests, etc.)

There can be many reasons to travel alone, probably already mentioned above, for instance you don't have to depend on anyone, you can plan your own thing, you might not feel lonely as you may meet new people and make friends during travel, etc.)

Whereas travelling with friends is fun as you not only explore new places but also spend some time together which you might not otherwise, due to busy routines. Again, based on individual or common interests it might be different experience altogether.

I personally enjoy both , at times travel solo and sometimes I travel with friends....

Last edited by nyk_flashpacker (6-23-2017 4:57 AM)

Board footer