#26 9-24-2017 11:29 PM

amarnath_hp
Posts: 2

Re: First solo trip to Europe

Getting a great deal of experience when you go alone for any tourist site, There is a lot of places available in the world to stay lonely and peace,Europe is also an important place in such places. When we go alone we have one thing to take care of ourselves. Then all of our conclusions can be taken by ourselves and enjoy our experience as an Freedom bird, enjoying the happiness, And in that lonely place we have to share our happiness with nature as our companion.

#27 9-25-2017 1:07 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 590

In my opinion.

Paris one of the top 3 cities  in the world. one week not enough to visit all sight seeing like Cheau verasiles or Louvre museum,Parc de astriex,Madam Moursay museum and etc.

Barcelona   very  good 3-4 days is Enough and Madrid more beautiful.

London  Very Good  3-4 days is Enough.

Dublin  is not from 25 cities in Europe.

In my view.

avittet
Arnaud
Posts: 9

Re: First solo trip to Europe

Hey Maddie! There will always be places to visit around the place you actually plan on visiting!

But for a first Europe trip solo I'd say this is a good itinerary!

I'm guessing you'd like to visit hard during the day then party a bit at night. If so, bear in mind that Dublin only requires 2 days to visit - since its so small and most of the irish culture lies within its coastline and villages around (like Howth, wonderful fisherman village with delicious cuisine. 1h train ride away from Dublin).
Amsterdam on the other hand, has a lot more museums/attractions - me think.

Couple of tips for the 2 cities I'm from:

Paris - Once you're in the center near the main attractions, try to avoid any restaurant nearby, especially if they got people showing you the menu and trying to get you in. Overpriced and not so good.
Instead, walk a couple of blocks away from the main attraction, and find yourself a good 'Cafe' or 'Bistrot' with they daily menu on the board right outside - that's where french people go and you'll end up having a 2 course meal plus Cafe for around 10€!

And if I may - I'd recommend a nice restaurant owned by a buddy of mine: https://holybellycafe.com/
Not far from the Canal St Martin (and yes they do speak very good english too)

London - First don't buy yourself a Tourist Travel Card. Get yourself a regular Oyster card - put some £ on it, the transport in London will stop charging your card when you reach £6/day no matter how many trips you make (kinda cool!)
Museums are all free - if you're into artsy stuff don't miss out the Tate Museum. Just a short walk from London Bridge.

Enjoy!

#29 9-26-2017 8:23 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 73

Re: First solo trip to Europe

As you're committed to flying into Barcelona, and it's a nice city, that's an obvious place to start, but it probably doesn't need a whole week. I would cut that a little shorter and either add in Lisbon (one of my favourite European cities) before Paris, or spend longer in England, staying not only in London but also somewhere like York so you could more easily get out to see some of the scenery. You might also be better going to Edinburgh rather than Dublin. An itinerary could look something like this:
Barcelona - 4 days
Travel to Lisbon - 1 day
Lisbon - 3 days (one of them for Belem - a must see!)
Travel to Paris - 1 day
Paris - 5 days (will give you time to do a trip out, maybe to Versailles or to Givenchy)
Eurostar to London - 1 day (actually only half a day)
London - 6 days
Train to York - 1 day
York - 2 days (one for city, one for countryside)
Train to Edinburgh - 1 day (the scenery from this train is fantastic btw)
Edinburgh - 2 days
Back to Barcelona for your return flight - 1 day

Alternatively forget my Lisbon suggestion and then you can fit in Dublin!

#30 9-26-2017 11:56 AM

IvanR
Ivan
Bergen, Norway
Award: Photographer I
Posts: 38

Re: First solo trip to Europe

Belgium+Netherlands (small countries easy to travel around with many beautiful smaller towns) + easy to do short trip to Paris or London, if you really want to, but I would not bother.
Then Praha for history and southern France or Italy for food and to recover from bad weather wink

#31 10-1-2017 9:13 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I

Re: First solo trip to Europe

Hey there Maddie! I just got back from Barcelona and man was I impressed! Inbox me if you want any details as at the moment I am busy and it's too much to go into and there is soooo much. I was lucky and had a few locals help me out and experience some stuff. What a great city!

If you have time to hit Mallorca, that is a nice respite from the big places!

Last edited by Sept922 (10-1-2017 9:14 PM)

#32 10-3-2017 7:50 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5999

Sept922 wrote:

If you have time to hit Mallorca, that is a nice respite from the big places!

I loved Barcelona.  But at the moment, I think I might let things calm down a little.  Catalonia has declared a General Strike, which includes monuments like the Sagrada Familia and all public transport during the daytime.  Other cities in the region may join in.  So not to put anyone off a wonderful destination, but I would check the news and my insurance quite carefully before travelling.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world … 80026.html

#33 10-3-2017 10:36 AM

ahouseofsparrows
Crystal
Dominical, Costa Rica
Posts: 18

Re: First solo trip to Europe

Definitely keep Dublin on your list of cities. Even though it may not be the best weather at that time of year, the people are very friendly and there is so much to see in and around the city. I hope you have a fun trip, sounds like its going to be a great time!

#34 10-22-2017 3:47 AM

TravelTrish
Patricia
Northampton, England
Posts: 2

Re: First solo trip to Europe

Barcelona is a wonderful city.....so much to see and do. Trains from Estacion de Franca will take you further down the coast if you so desire. Rail travel is cheap and easy.

#35 10-25-2017 1:08 PM

Geromimo
Posts: 3

Re: First solo trip to Europe

My first solo trip was to Istanbul, Turkey. The city is amazing. Turkey is a transcontinental country with one part in Asia and the other in Europe. It is truly a place where east meets west.

It has a rich islamic history (Aya Sofya, Blue Mosque etc), Magnificent palaces (Toptaki and Dolmabahce) and a modern bustling Istiklal avenue with boutique shops and cafes. All in one!

It is also very economical to spend couple of days in Istanbul. 4* hotels are much cheaper as compared to other countries in Europe. Food is delicious. And of course, the very famous turkish tea and the dondruma ice cream!

My advice to first time travellers:

Every major city has some sort of tourist scams. Google it before travelling.
Don’t spend more than 2 days in any one city.
Unless you are on a honeymoon, don’t spend too much on accommodations.
Eat local food.
Buy fridge magnets from every country you visit and gift it to your Mom.

#36 10-29-2017 3:09 AM

AdamR3723
Adam
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 56

Re: First solo trip to Europe

Have you considered EDINBURGH? Much more interesting and attractive  than Dublin - and I am not a Scot!

#37 10-31-2017 11:44 PM

sammalex
Samuel
Posts: 31

Re: First solo trip to Europe

For one week schedule, I would suggest you Dublin and Rome. As a solo traveler you will never get bored in these cities. There are 24/7 activities options available, especially from art & history prospective, Rome suits you a lot & for real nightlife entertainment, eye-catchy natural sites you should visit Ireland.

#38 11-3-2017 11:04 PM

Re: First solo trip to Europe

I hope you do spend more than 2 days in a city you love! I can spend a month in the same city and be happy if I really like it. I lived in Tokyo almost 6 years and still can find things to do. By staying in a city longer you can get deeper into the local culture and if you make a friend or acquaintance even better. But if your trip is just to see a lot to be able to say "I saw" then that is also your choice.

Last edited by Sept922 (11-3-2017 11:05 PM)

#39 11-6-2017 8:11 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 134

Re: First solo trip to Europe

I am in the minority here, but I hated Paris. It is dirty and the people are rude.

Loved Lisbon. I really want to go back there. I would take at least 3 to 4 days there.

#40 11-7-2017 5:21 PM

Re: First solo trip to Europe

I second Lisbon...really underrated!

#41 11-7-2017 5:41 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Posts: 85

Re: First solo trip to Europe

@maddie531, I hope you will give us feedback when you return. What cities did you decide upon, and what were your impressions?

Board footer