#1 5-18-2017 4:06 AM

Buget Travel solo to Japan

Hello Friends, I am thinking about traveling to Japan this October. I always budget travel and I have been going through packages to Japan and they are all expensive. I am okay with food and activity rates but my concern is hotel. They are expensive. Can you please recommend cheap hotels or hostels in Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Osaka and Tokyo. It will be very helpful if you can also share your experience in Japan.

#2 5-18-2017 10:15 AM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 315

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

Try hotels.com to book and they will give a night for free after every nights booked. I haven't tried, but seems to be an alternative to booking.com

If I were you, I'd try a few capsule hotels as well! Just for fun... they really cost a lot less. Of course, comfort levels are lower there as well.

#3 5-18-2017 11:18 AM

tenaka
Shane
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 148

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

When I was there I stayed in Tokyo and Kyoto, and then used trains to take day trips out to other areas. Assuming you're getting a JR pass you could do the same unless you already know you want extensive stays in some of those locations. You didn't say how long your trip was.

I used AirBNB in Kyoto (which I have since learned was actually illegal there, hadn't thought to check beforehand) so can't help you much on where to stay there.

In tokyo I stayed in two different ones. Shibuya Granbell Hotel and Hotel Monteray Ginza. Both I was able to get at the time for about $100usd a night, which I felt was a great price given that they were pretty nice places and they were in more prime locations. I would recommend either one depending on which neighborhood you wanted to stay in.  I think you may be able to get a little better pricing around Shunjuku area though in my experience not by much. Otherwise as Ranchero mentioned there are very inexpexnsive capsule hotels, or hostels. Not sure what price range "budget" is to you.

Can't help with the other locations as I did not stay anywhere in them.

Only other tip is, as I said JR pass to get around. Between that and a Pasmo card I was able to use any train I wanted for my entire trip. That may vary for you depending on where you are going exactly, each local train has a different set of passes that work on it.

#4 5-18-2017 11:57 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 389

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

Japan has a range of accommodations and if, as you say, you're okay with hostels and guest houses there are plenty of budget options. Just go on booking.com or similar. Capsule hotels and some budget ryokans are next on the expense list. Hotels are usually more pricey but you can often find good deals depending on when you travel. Try the Chizuru ryokan in Hiroshima, and some of the APA hotels in Tokyo - I stayed in these and were fairly good value. In Osaka, I found the Hotel Shin Imamiya very good value, but the area is average.

As for money savers in Japan in general, nothing to beat the JR Pass if you're planning to travel to all those cities - excellent value.

#5 5-18-2017 7:37 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

What is your budget per night? Expensive/cheap is quite subjective and difficult to recommend without knowing your budget.

Here's the general budget for travelers;

- Hostel: $20-30/night for a dorm bed
- Business hotel: $45-70/room for a private room with ensuite bathroom.

And in general, finding an accommodation in central Tokyo (such as Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ginza etc) is expensive. There're cheaper accommodation in Asakusa/Ueno area and if you're happy with staying in Kawasaki/Yokohama, which are suburban area of Tokyo premises you may find better deal.

Toyoko inn hotel chain offers "Cinderella Liberty Plan", which is a plan you can check-in after midnight without reservation, is cheaper than usual rate so it can be worth checking out.

As for transportation, express bus is another cost saving mode of transfer.
http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/bus … Kgod2SAHCQ

And there's discount air pass only eligible for foreign travelers. It's also worth checking out.

Depending on validity period of JR pass and your itinerary, your pass may not pay off.
What is your itinerary? You may want to check out the fee for train travel on following website and find out most cost-effective way of travel.

#6 5-18-2017 8:37 PM

Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

Osaka: Toyo Hotel spartan single bedroom under $15, Diamond Hotel even cheaper but super spartan, both near Shin-Imamiya metro station, area is not the best but also food you can get a bit cheaper there. For the Kansai area the Kansai Thru Pass is good value

#7 5-18-2017 10:10 PM

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

Hotels around Shin-Imamiya station in Osaka are designed for day laborers who are homeless. That's why they're dirt cheap and spartan. It's a kind of the poorest area in Osaka and there're slam and red light district nearby.
According to my husband who has stayed there, he didn't feel any danger staying there but he still said that he wouldn't recommend me to stay there alone.
You should be fine as long as you take a good care of your belongings but I bet you should keep it in your mind when you stay.

#8 5-18-2017 10:33 PM

Lotus28 wrote:

There have been quite a lot of backpackers, safety might be only a problem if you get drunk

#9 5-19-2017 12:37 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 517

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

There are guesthouses, hostels for affordable price in Japan. Japan is indeed not for budget traveler, but if you do a lot of research before going, surely, you can manage to find the budget place you want.

#10 5-19-2017 9:04 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17526

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

It would help if you could clarify what you mean by expensive. How long will you be in Japan?

It is true that Japan is not a budget backpacking destination but I've never found it expensive, even for accommodation, at least as compared to Western Europe or North America.

On my most recent visit just a month ago, I had little problem in finding a decent room in a decent hotel near train station for 40-50 Euro. That ties in with what lotus28 says.

In Hiroshima, I stayed here on Easter Sunday. It was €40 Euro a night.

http://www.booking.com/Share-NSEiiXhttp … are-NSEiiX

You may wish to stay on Miyajima instead of or in addition to Hiroshima. I very highly recommend visiting anyway.

In Osaka, I stayed here. It was €18 a night. It was in Shin-Inayima. Area not the best, it is true but much safer than similar areas of Europe or especially the US. It is also handy as it is on the JR Osaka loop line.

I did not go to Tokyo on this trip. On my first trip there in 2003, I stayed with friends. Second trip was in 2006. Can't remember details of hotel but it was about €50.

I did not stay in Nagasaki. Just visited on a day trip. On my recent visit in Japan, I stayed in Fukuoka which is a great base for day trips, including to Nagasaki.

If you can, I would stay in a ryokan at least one night. A great experience. Can be expensive but not necessarily. Usually include some meals which can be superb.

You could also stay overnight in internet cafes. You can read mixed reports on internet. A friend did it in Tokyo recently and she was quite happy. She also brought a tent with her and camped in places. Though after I.met her in Hiroshima, she went back to Miyajima to find her tent flooded ...

Be sure to try the onsens....

#11 5-19-2017 6:20 PM

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

Oh, camping is fun but it's prohibited to pitch your tent in parks by Urban Park Law.
I'm not sure if fransglobal's friend camped where it's allowed.
If you want to camp, be sure to follow the local regulations.

#12 5-31-2017 2:35 AM

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will be staying in Japan for two weeks. The max I can spend on hotel everyday is $70.
I am thinking about capsule so as to save money on other things.

#13 5-31-2017 2:36 AM

tenaka wrote:

Can't help with the other locations as I did not stay anywhere in them.

I was thinking about the same, since moving from one point to another will become expensive if I hire a car, Train option is quite suited for me. Can you tell me about JR pass and the procedure to apply? Also I have checked these hotels, they seem nice, but rates I guess have changed and they are showing me rates up to $200 to $250 which way too much for me. I think my best option would be capsule. Thank you again.

#14 5-31-2017 2:39 AM

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

@fransglobal, This is my first time in Japan,  I will be living there for two weeks. What you have proposed here is quite interesting. I will check these, Thank you. Can you also share some of your experience with food and activities you did there? I would really appreciate that.

#15 5-31-2017 5:44 PM

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

I don't recommend you to stick to capsules as it's for locals to crash just for a night after the last train had gone so you may not meet and make friends with people and comfort level is not high. Have you considered to stay at hostels? Price level is similar and amenities are much better than capsules.
Many foreigners stay at capsules just for fun but speaking of comfort level, I think hostels are better.
There are many good hostel booking websites such as hostelsworld or hostelbookers etc.

I am not a traveler in Tokyo but have visited Toco Hostel in Iriya (near Ueno or Asakusa) and liked the atmosphere. They have a bar at lobby and you can hang out with other travelers or locals hanging out there.

JR pass or not... AGAIN, you should plan your itinerary first and and check if the pass will pay off or not before going for it.

JR pass info

Hyperdia (you can check train timetable and cost here)

And AGAIN, if you're on a shoestring budget, highway bus can be a good option for transportation as you can save cost of transportation and accommodation at the same time.
http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/bus … Kgod2SAHCQ

#16 5-31-2017 7:36 PM

TravelingChris
Chris
Wrightstown, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 110

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

The capsule hotel idea is a cheap alternative, only thing is most of them have an open community bathroom so not for the modest.

I've also found that for Asia in general that agoda.com is great for finding cheap but decent accommodations. Use it to book the first night or two, then deal directly with the hotel to cut out the middle man and save a few more bucks.

#17 6-1-2017 2:45 PM

TravelingChris wrote:

The capsule  hotel i stayed in Osaka was not bad but very noisy (apearently behind the plastic enclosure people think nobody hears them) where in the hostels i stayed people where very careful not making any noise. In Osaka hostels and capsusels have similar prices, some hotels are cheaper (this is only in Osaka).

#18 6-2-2017 4:47 AM

ulis wrote:

TravelingChris wrote:

@Ulis, if cost is same in Osaka then I can opt for hostels. Thank you for your insight.

#19 6-2-2017 4:50 AM

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

@Loyus28 Thank you for the insights. Yes I have considered hostels as my option. I will check the listed ones here. Of course I thought about comfort level in capsules, but since most of the time I will be out exploring, so it would be limited time spent in capsule. Soon I will share my itinerary, but the above places I have mentioned are finalized.

#20 6-2-2017 1:04 PM

dchinmay wrote:

ulis wrote:

TravelingChris wrote:

In Osaka i payed for the capsul hotel 1900 Yen (B&S Eco Club, exzellent location but very noisy) for the Diamond hotel 1100 Yen (quiet but very small room), a hostel bed probably from 1500 Yen, the hostels a had in other town where between 1800 and 2200 yen

#21 6-5-2017 7:10 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1060

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

I think with $70 can get you a reasonable room in a guesthouse/ryokan. It's either you spend more on transportation to live at a cheaper guesthouse out of the city, or pay more on accommodation to save on train fare.
If you're thinking of experiencing the capsule hotel, I'd say 1 night is enough. It's too small, not suitable if you're claustrophobic, hard to keep your belongings (especially if you'll be there 2 weeks), and it's not necessarily cheaper.
I'd definitely recommend guesthouses.

#22 6-8-2017 1:51 AM

Re: Buget Travel solo to Japan

@Ulis Thank you for the help.

@Jen Yes, I might experience capsule but now if i am getting cheap hostels or guest house, why not invest in that. Thank you for your advice.

Last edited by dchinmay (6-8-2017 1:52 AM)

Board footer