#26 5-22-2017 5:05 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 428

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

I would also ask - why Pasadena?  Are you sure you have the right Pasadena - the one in Maryland and not the one in California?  I grew up in Baltimore and lived in the Pasadena area for about 10 years when I was working, and I'm not aware of much to see there although there are restaurants.  There are better places to stay in D.C. or Annapolis.

 

#27 5-24-2017 7:30 AM

Eihab
Eihab
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

grandmar wrote:

I would also ask - why Pasadena?  Are you sure you have the right Pasadena - the one in Maryland and not the one in California?  I grew up in Baltimore and lived in the Pasadena area for about 10 years when I was working, and I'm not aware of much to see there although there are restaurants.  There are better places to stay in D.C. or Annapolis.

I don't know, there is no specific reason, but I found it on the map near to Washington DC, which I intend to visit, and the prices is reasonable, as well.

 

#28 5-24-2017 7:42 AM

Eihab
Eihab
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Thanks emjaaay
I couldn't afford to stay all the whole week in an expensive hotel, so, I decided to spend only 3 days in the hotel and the of the first week in cheaper residence in NJ, which is close to NY, so I can go easily from Jersey to NYC..

Maybe I didn't plan very well for this trip, but it's expected since it will be the first time to go to the States.

 

#29 5-24-2017 11:00 AM

WalterC
Walter
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 555

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

I definitely think Miami is worth a visit, but I would probably save it for another time, as it is really far away. There is more than enough places to see in the Northeast US, and you definitely don't want to stretch yourself too thin. You may also need some slow days, where you take a break from visiting museums and possibly take care of other business. As the saying goes... taking a vacation from your vacation.

In addition to NY, I would recommend Philadelphia for a full day, and a few days in Washington DC. And in DC, quite a few attractions are free.

 

#30 5-24-2017 11:20 AM

Eihab
Eihab
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

WalterC wrote:

I definitely think Miami is worth a visit, but I would probably save it for another time, as it is really far away. There is more than enough places to see in the Northeast US, and you definitely don't want to stretch yourself too thin. You may also need some slow days, where you take a break from visiting museums and possibly take care of other business. As the saying goes... taking a vacation from your vacation.

In addition to NY, I would recommend Philadelphia for a full day, and a few days in Washington DC. And in DC, quite a few attractions are free.

I will not visit Miami unless I can't cancel the Jacksonville, but since I might be there, I definitely go, it's about 5 hours from Jacksonville to Miami on Google Maps. And Philadelphia has been taken in concentration, but you are right, and my wife said the same saying; "we may need a vacation from this vacation"... I hope we will not smile

 

#31 5-24-2017 5:17 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 428

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

OK - Pasadena.  The reason that the rates are reasonable is that it is not a tourist destination.  It isn't close enough to D.C. to be really convenient.  It is really closer to Baltimore. Since you have a car, this is what I would recommend.  Drive to either the Greenbelt or the New Carrollton Metro Station (about a half hour drive) and take the metro in to D.C.  Parking in D.C. is expensive and driving there is a nightmare because the streets are not on a regular grid and come in at odd angles.  I really do not recommend driving in D.C.  We have lived here many years, and we do not go into D.C. except with one of us with the map to direct the one driving.  The Metro is cheaper after the rush hours, but the parking lots will be filled up by the commuters fairly early.  Even though the Metro will cost money, most of the Smithsonian museums etc are free.

I'd also advise you to spend a day in Annapolis which is very close to Pasadena and which has some good restaurants.

Depending on where you are in NJ, you can take the train in to NYC.  Or you might be closer to Philadelphia.  Or you might want to go to Atlantic City for either the beach, boardwalk or the gambling.

 

#32 5-25-2017 6:48 AM

Eihab
Eihab
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

grandmar wrote:

OK - Pasadena.  The reason that the rates are reasonable is that it is not a tourist destination.  It isn't close enough to D.C. to be really convenient.  It is really closer to Baltimore. Since you have a car, this is what I would recommend.  Drive to either the Greenbelt or the New Carrollton Metro Station (about a half hour drive) and take the metro in to D.C.  Parking in D.C. is expensive and driving there is a nightmare because the streets are not on a regular grid and come in at odd angles.  I really do not recommend driving in D.C.  We have lived here many years, and we do not go into D.C. except with one of us with the map to direct the one driving.  The Metro is cheaper after the rush hours, but the parking lots will be filled up by the commuters fairly early.  Even though the Metro will cost money, most of the Smithsonian museums etc are free.

I'd also advise you to spend a day in Annapolis which is very close to Pasadena and which has some good restaurants.

Depending on where you are in NJ, you can take the train in to NYC.  Or you might be closer to Philadelphia.  Or you might want to go to Atlantic City for either the beach, boardwalk or the gambling.

A lot of advice, I'll copy and keep them in my note, I'm quite sure I'll need them when I'm there.
Thank you very much.

 

#33 5-28-2017 1:38 AM

emjaaay2
Sightseer
Posts: 99

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Eihab wrote:

Thanks emjaaay
I couldn't afford to stay all the whole week in an expensive hotel, so, I decided to spend only 3 days in the hotel and the of the first week in cheaper residence in NJ, which is close to NY, so I can go easily from Jersey to NYC..

Maybe I didn't plan very well for this trip, but it's expected since it will be the first time to go to the States.

Sounds good.. make sure you know how to travel into the city from NJ... traffic is terrible, toll is expensive, and NJ transit can be unreliable... I believe PATH is the best way in.

Good luck on your travels!

 

#34 5-28-2017 6:05 AM

Eihab
Eihab
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

emjaaay2 wrote:

Eihab wrote:

Thanks emjaaay
I couldn't afford to stay all the whole week in an expensive hotel, so, I decided to spend only 3 days in the hotel and the of the first week in cheaper residence in NJ, which is close to NY, so I can go easily from Jersey to NYC..

Maybe I didn't plan very well for this trip, but it's expected since it will be the first time to go to the States.

Sounds good.. make sure you know how to travel into the city from NJ... traffic is terrible, toll is expensive, and NJ transit can be unreliable... I believe PATH is the best way in.

Good luck on your travels!

I serviced the internet to collect some information about PATH.
I found their site

panynj dot gov slash path  "I couldn't put the link" but I think this is the right one.

Thank you for mentioning it.

 

#35 6-7-2017 12:21 PM

alla79
Couch Potato
Posts: 4

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Good useful advices. Thanks!
Last year I was on EasyUsaTravel tour around West America, fell in love with this country so now want to travel farther)

 

#36 6-27-2017 12:18 AM

aliah4
Alia
Lucknow, India
Couch Potato
Posts: 14

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Hello, Eihab, you have quite a journey there. Miami is the best vacation spots. It will offer you a great deal of things to do like Miami Beach and the historic hideaways of Coral Gables, endless shopping, Boat shows and auto racing.  As per my recommendation, skip Jacksonville. Since it has not very touristy as also highlighted by others.

As for shrimp you can get the best anywhere but just go local and not any fancy restaurants. You will get the best taste in locals.

Have a great Journey.

 

#37 7-5-2017 8:24 AM

Eihab
Eihab
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Thank you aliah, I'll travel next Sunday, and I hope it will be a great journey smile

 

#38 7-5-2017 10:39 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 355

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

New Orleans is one of the best places for food (and not only shrimp) in the states, but a long way from Jacksonville. If you like Art Deco buildings Miami (Beach) is great, if not its also a long way from Jacksonville

 

#39 7-7-2017 1:12 AM

Eihab
Eihab
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

ulis wrote:

New Orleans is one of the best places for food (and not only shrimp) in the states, but a long way from Jacksonville. If you like Art Deco buildings Miami (Beach) is great, if not its also a long way from Jacksonville

Thanks ulis smile

 
This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB