#1 5-17-2017 9:36 AM

Eihab
Eihab
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Hi, we’re traveling to the US next July for one month, we’ll arrive in JFK airport, to stay 3 days in a hotel in NYC after that I’ll rent a car and keep moving from new Jersey through the Atlantic Ocean coast to Jacksonville, “maybe go forward to Miami, if I got advised", then back to Brooklyn… I already made reservations in Airbnb in New Jersey and Pasadena, Baltimore and Jacksonville, FL.
So, is going to Miami a must? Since I’ll be already in Florida?
What is the sea food, “specially shrimp", restaurants in NYC, Jacksonville, you advise me with?
Any other advice will be appreciated.
Eihab.

 

#2 5-17-2017 11:19 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 272

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

for shrimp and food in general you want new orleans.

 

#3 5-17-2017 6:37 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 399

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

When you say reservations in Pasadena, you do mean Pasadena Maryland???  Pasadena Maryland is not a tourist destination.  Although I suppose you could visit Annapolis from there.

Jacksonville is not a city that I would advise anyone to visit.  It is also not a tourist destination and is not really very "Florida".  It is also pretty far to drive to Jacksonville from Baltimore.  It would be way better to go to Charleston SC or Savannah GA, and then go down the coast via Fernandina Beach to St. Augustine.

The problem with shrimp is that most of the shrimp is imported now.  There are shrimpers operating in Georgia and down in the Florida Keys, but shrimp is still pretty expensive.  But there are good places to eat in NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Charleston, Savannah, St Mary's Georgia, Mayport Florida, and of course Miami and Key West.  You do not need to visit New Orleans in order to eat well.

 

#4 5-18-2017 3:39 AM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 405

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

If you are cruising along the coast in North Carolina or South Carolina, be sure to try "shrimp & grits" --- a terrific dish!!!  Most restaurants will have it on the menu in this area.

smile

 

#5 5-18-2017 4:28 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 3285

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

I lived in Miami for a number of years, and it's not my favorite.  Spending time in Charleston and Savannah makes more sense.  St. Marys is the gateway city for Cumberland Island.

 

#6 5-18-2017 4:42 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 272

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

obviously you can eat well anywhere but the center in the US for foodies is indeed New Orleans.  Louisiana lands 48% of the gulf caught shrimp and no reputable restaurant serves import.  You find import at crap places like Wal Mart or in the midwest cause they dont know better.  I agree with KVOM.  When you see all the bars on windows in Miami it makes you wonder why you are there and food quality issues are common.

Last edited by katzgar (5-18-2017 4:44 AM)

 

#7 5-18-2017 5:54 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 112

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Bypass Florida entirely and head to Atlanta, then either up into Appalachia or over to New Orleans.

 

#8 5-18-2017 7:41 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 399

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Miami is better than Jacksonville.  And I wouldn't go to Atlanta  especially the way the highways are now

Since the OP already has reservations in Jacksonville, there are things to visit and places to eat near there that are good but not well known, without going to Miami, or New Orleans.  New Orleans was not on the list of places to visit.  Since they are driving, it would not be much of a stretch to stop in Charleston on the way down and Savannah on the way back.  New Orleans would be a big stretch to drive to and back from NYC/Brooklyn in the two week time frame

Last edited by grandmar (5-18-2017 7:42 AM)

 

#9 5-18-2017 10:58 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 272

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

5.5 hours Jacksonville to Miami or 8 hours to new orleans.  2.5 hours difference

 

#10 5-18-2017 2:50 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 399

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

But the OP has not expressed an interest in going to New Orleans, and isn't actually planning to go to Miami either. 

NYC to Jacksonville and back is 1800 miles - 26 hours.  Three days in NYC, 10 days or so to go down and a week or ten days to go back and some days in Brooklyn.  If we add Miami to it, that would still fit into the month.

Adding New Orleans to the trip makes it an additional 1000 miles and a total driving time of 41 hours.

Last edited by grandmar (5-18-2017 3:09 PM)

 

#11 5-18-2017 3:02 PM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 272

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

from Jacksonville we are talking a total of 5 hours round trip, reread post 9. NOLA certainly does not add 1000 miles to the trip, that is disingenuous. The options are up to the OPer, if the OPer is a foodie as their post suggests NOLA should be on the list.  With a month the OPer can do alot.

 

#12 5-18-2017 3:14 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 399

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

According to Google maps, NYC to Jacksonville to NOLA to NYC is 41 hours and 2800 miles.  That is 1000 more miles than just NYC to Jax and back.   It IS 1000 more miles if you do not forget that the OP will return to Brooklyn.   I feel that we shouldn't insist on the OP going outside of the road trip that the OP has outlined.  The only additional place mentioned was Miami.

I don't think you can decide he is a foodie just because he wants suggestions of places to eat and he can certainly be a foodie on the east coast of the US without going to NOLA

Last edited by grandmar (5-18-2017 3:16 PM)

 

#13 5-18-2017 3:46 PM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 272

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

The distance that matters is from J-ville to NOLA as the OPer has reservations in J-ville.  Foodie or no you seem to think they arent mature enough to figure it out for themself.  No one is suggesting they drive from NYC to NOLA that distance isnt relevant to anything said in any post.

 

#14 5-18-2017 7:05 PM

stefaniegreen
Stefanie
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Spambuster I
Sightseer
Posts: 61

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Definitely go to Miami even Orlando if you time

 

#15 5-19-2017 6:41 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 399

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

katzgar wrote:

The distance that matters is from J-ville to NOLA as the OPer has reservations in J-ville.  Foodie or no you seem to think they arent mature enough to figure it out for themself.  No one is suggesting they drive from NYC to NOLA that distance isnt relevant to anything said in any post.

The drive from NYC to NOLA IS RELEVANT.

The distance from Jax to NOLA is NOT the only distance to be considered - they have to drive back to Brooklyn, so you have to consider the distance from NOLA back to NY.

 

#16 5-19-2017 7:20 PM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 272

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

grandmar wrote:

katzgar wrote:

The distance that matters is from J-ville to NOLA as the OPer has reservations in J-ville.  Foodie or no you seem to think they arent mature enough to figure it out for themself.  No one is suggesting they drive from NYC to NOLA that distance isnt relevant to anything said in any post.

The drive from NYC to NOLA IS RELEVANT.

The distance from Jax to NOLA is NOT the only distance to be considered - they have to drive back to Brooklyn, so you have to consider the distance from NOLA back to NY.

suggest you spend time with a map and read the OP.  The OPer will be in J-ville so the drive from J-ville to NOLA is all that matters.  They will have to drive from J-ville back to NY NOLA or no NOLA.   Should the Oper drive directly from NOLA to NY that route is only 370 miles more than the drive from J-ville to NY , easily done in a months time.

 

#17 5-20-2017 6:58 AM

Eihab
Eihab
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Thank you all very much... What I determined to do after reading your very useful and much appreciated posts is the following:
1- To cancel the Jacksonville reservation... I'll write to Airbnb about this and see what will happen.. If it's OK, I'll stay in the Northern East "NY, NJ, Baltimore, Philadelphia".. I feel this is much better.
2 - Not necessary to eat shrimp in the US... I'll eat here as much as I can smile
Thanks again.

 

#18 5-20-2017 7:27 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 399

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

katzgar wrote:

grandmar wrote:

katzgar wrote:

The distance that matters is from J-ville to NOLA as the OPer has reservations in J-ville.  Foodie or no you seem to think they arent mature enough to figure it out for themself.  No one is suggesting they drive from NYC to NOLA that distance isnt relevant to anything said in any post.

The drive from NYC to NOLA IS RELEVANT.

The distance from Jax to NOLA is NOT the only distance to be considered - they have to drive back to Brooklyn, so you have to consider the distance from NOLA back to NY.

suggest you spend time with a map and read the OP.  The OPer will be in J-ville so the drive from J-ville to NOLA is all that matters.  They will have to drive from J-ville back to NY NOLA or no NOLA.   Should the Oper drive directly from NOLA to NY that route is only 370 miles more than the drive from J-ville to NY , easily done in a months time.

I don't know what maps you are using.  But Jacksonville to NOLA is 550 miles, and driving from NOLA to Brooklyn is 1300 miles.  That's 370 miles more than just going back from Jacksonville. So adding New Orleans to the route is an additional 920 miles to the trip.  You have to count all the legs of the trip.

 

#19 5-20-2017 8:19 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 399

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Eihab wrote:

Thank you all very much... What I determined to do after reading your very useful and much appreciated posts is the following:
1- To cancel the Jacksonville reservation... I'll write to Airbnb about this and see what will happen.. If it's OK, I'll stay in the Northern East "NY, NJ, Baltimore, Philadelphia".. I feel this is much better.
2 - Not necessary to eat shrimp in the US... I'll eat here as much as I can smile
Thanks again.

If you can't cancel Jacksonville, I can tell you some places to see and places to eat there. 

Places to eat around Baltimore. 

The Inner Harbor is kind of touristy, but the things to eat there are the hard crabs and crab cakes.  When you get hard crabs, if you have not had them before, have someone show you how to 'pick' them to get the crab meat out.  My mother the first time she had hard crabs tried to get the meat out of the legs and that will just make you get hungrier as there is not enough meat in the legs to make it worthwhile. 

You ought to try the Berger's cookies - a cookie with a thick fudge topping which my husband tried to duplicate at home in our kitchen.  You can buy them in a grocery store

The National Aquarium is in Baltimore, and you might also want to go to a baseball game at Oriole Park.  Good things to eat at the ball park also such as bacon on a stick from Dempsey's or Crab Mac & Cheese Hot Dog

Be sure to visit Lexington Market - you can get a chicken box from Parks there, or a jumbo crab cake on a saltine cracker from Faidley's, or Biscuit Sandwich from Blacksauce Kitchen

You can take a water taxi from the harbor to Fells Point - another good eating area.  Try the Maryland tots at Alexander's Tavern.  Also Lobster Roll from Thames Street Oyster House and  Cap’n Crunch French Toast from Blue Moon Cafe

There is good Shrimp salad from Kibby's and chicken wings at Kisling's Tavern in Canton (a Baltimore neighborhood - other neighborhoods to explore for food are Hampton where you can get  Pasta from Grano Pasta Bar and Little Italy).  Try a peanut butter burger at Abbey's on Federal Hill (another neighborhood)

Look for the Arabbers (food carts pulled by a horse or pony)

The beer of Baltimore is National Bohemian (or Natty Boh)

Other things to see - Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse (in Harbor Place), Fort McHenry, and the original Washington Monument.  Also Edgar Allan Poe's grave, the Shot Tower, and the B&O Railroad Museum.

 

#20 5-20-2017 8:37 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 272

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

You will find shrimp most anyplace but it will be freshest SE atlantic coast and gulf coast.

 

#21 5-20-2017 8:41 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 272

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

grandmar wrote:

katzgar wrote:

grandmar wrote:


The drive from NYC to NOLA IS RELEVANT.

The distance from Jax to NOLA is NOT the only distance to be considered - they have to drive back to Brooklyn, so you have to consider the distance from NOLA back to NY.

suggest you spend time with a map and read the OP.  The OPer will be in J-ville so the drive from J-ville to NOLA is all that matters.  They will have to drive from J-ville back to NY NOLA or no NOLA.   Should the Oper drive directly from NOLA to NY that route is only 370 miles more than the drive from J-ville to NY , easily done in a months time.

I don't know what maps you are using.  But Jacksonville to NOLA is 550 miles, and driving from NOLA to Brooklyn is 1300 miles.  That's 370 miles more than just going back from Jacksonville. So adding New Orleans to the route is an additional 920 miles to the trip.  You have to count all the legs of the trip.

easily done with a month and by the way nobody is insisting they do anything, that comment is a lie.

 

#22 5-20-2017 11:35 AM

Eihab
Eihab
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

grandmar wrote:

If you can't cancel Jacksonville, I can tell you some places to see and places to eat there.

I'll keep you updated.

 

#23 5-20-2017 2:44 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 399

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

katzgar wrote:

You will find shrimp most anyplace but it will be freshest SE atlantic coast and gulf coast.

Although most shrimping in the US is done in that area, I find, when I ask, that the shrimp I am served in most restaurants isn't from those areas.  Eighty to 90 percent is imported. Almost all is farmed in shrimp farms in Thailand, Ecuador, Indonesia, China, Mexico, Vietnam, and Malaysia.  Georgia shrimpers cannot even catch enough shrimp to supply their own state.  Also of course, if you eat shrimp out of season, it will not be fresh.  The gulf coast season - in general- is May to December.

katzgar wrote:

easily done with a month and by the way nobody is insisting they do anything, that comment is a lie.

You are very insistent on your POV that New Orleans offers the only good food in the whole USA.  I do not dispute that it could not be done in a month, but it would add at least a couple of days driving, which not everyone would want to do.

 

#24 5-20-2017 5:23 PM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 272

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

grandmar wrote:

katzgar wrote:

You will find shrimp most anyplace but it will be freshest SE atlantic coast and gulf coast.

Although most shrimping in the US is done in that area, I find, when I ask, that the shrimp I am served in most restaurants isn't from those areas.  Eighty to 90 percent is imported. Almost all is farmed in shrimp farms in Thailand, Ecuador, Indonesia, China, Mexico, Vietnam, and Malaysia.  Georgia shrimpers cannot even catch enough shrimp to supply their own state.  Also of course, if you eat shrimp out of season, it will not be fresh.  The gulf coast season - in general- is May to December.

katzgar wrote:

easily done with a month and by the way nobody is insisting they do anything, that comment is a lie.

You are very insistent on your POV that New Orleans offers the only good food in the whole USA.  I do not dispute that it could not be done in a month, but it would add at least a couple of days driving, which not everyone would want to do.

shrimp is always freshest closest to where it is caught obviously but this has already been covered so you just being repetitive.  in Louisiana it is common for restaurants to serve shrimp at the pier the shrimpers dock at like I said earlier the import shrimp is at places like WalMart.

"You are very insistent on your POV that New Orleans offers the only good food in the whole USA."  this obviously has no realtionship to what I said.   still the best food town in the US certainly is New Orleans.

 

#25 5-22-2017 9:42 AM

emjaaay2
Sightseer
Posts: 99

Re: Visiting the American Eastern Coast

Eihab wrote:

Hi, we’re traveling to the US next July for one month, we’ll arrive in JFK airport, to stay 3 days in a hotel in NYC after that I’ll rent a car and keep moving from new Jersey through the Atlantic Ocean coast to Jacksonville, “maybe go forward to Miami, if I got advised", then back to Brooklyn… I already made reservations in Airbnb in New Jersey and Pasadena, Baltimore and Jacksonville, FL.
So, is going to Miami a must? Since I’ll be already in Florida?
What is the sea food, “specially shrimp", restaurants in NYC, Jacksonville, you advise me with?
Any other advice will be appreciated.
Eihab.

Why are you staying in New Jersey if you are leaving from NYC? No offense to Jersey, but that's waste of time and resource.... Unless you have other engagements in NJ, you can skip airbnb there and move further down on the coast to your final destination.

I can't say a Miami is a must, but if you want to see/experience it, you should do it. It's different from anywhere else in America.

There are tons of restaurants in NYC that you can go to for seafood. Check out the article on TimeOut.

Edit: I'm originally from NYC.

Last edited by emjaaay2 (5-22-2017 9:42 AM)

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB