#1 5-15-2017 8:00 AM

Daniel
Couch Potato
Posts: 7

Security checks

This might be an unusual one but I need to know how to get a background check carried out on myself for the year I spent in Australia.  I recently returned to the UK after a year and a half away and when I was speaking to a recruitment agency about looking for work they told me I needed to be screened for background checks (mainly because they find work in government departments) not just in the UK but in all the countries I've been to for the past year.  I was told I'd need to acquire this from the Australian embassy but I've tried ringing them and only get a voice menu full of options that aren't relevant and doesn't put me through to anyone.

Has anyone else had to go through this and if so how did you do it?

Thanks

#2 5-15-2017 8:35 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Globetrotter
Posts: 5952

Re: Security checks

Many years ago, I had to get what was then called a CRB check done that covered the two years I had been in Massachusetts.  There was no such thing, because that is not something the US routinely did when I lived there.  I ended up asking the police in Massachusetts what to do, and they suggested they write me a letter on headed paper.  Somewhere in a box at my mother's house, I have a letter from the Chief of Police of Framingham, MA, stating that to the best of his knowledge I had not committed any felonies or misdemeanours within the city limits of Framingham, MA - oddly, that seemed to be enough.

Can you maybe contact the Australian police and ask if they have a parallel system to UK whatever-they-now-call-CRBs?

#3 5-15-2017 10:16 PM

Lupobianco
Andy
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 319

Re: Security checks

Hi Dan, this is probably what you are looking for:

https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/servi … ice-checks

Go to the site, fill out the form and pony up the $42 and you will get the paper you need.

#4 5-16-2017 5:17 AM

Dan26
Daniel
Couch Potato
Posts: 7

Re: Security checks

Paying for it wasn't what I had in mind but thank you both for your replies.

#5 5-16-2017 7:37 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 116

Re: Security checks

Seems to me that if an employer wants a background check, then let them figure out how to obtain it (and of course let them pay for it).

#6 5-16-2017 8:49 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 143

Regrettably, Christopher, that is not how things work in the UK.

If you want to work in security you need an SIA accreditation, a legal requirement provided by private companies so they can effectively charge what they like and they know how to.  Same thing with the CRB check mentioned above for working with children or vulnerable adults.  It costs and there is no way round it.  As a British subject I find it obscene that a legal requirement is placed in the hands of private industry who know how to milk it.

Daniel, why don't you 'phone up Scotland Yard (where CRB for England and Wales is based) and ask them for the full SP?  I am sure you know as it is allegedly the most famous 'phone number in the world but if not then go 0207 232 1212 and you'll get put through - eventually!

Hope this assists,

Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 116

planxty wrote:

Regrettably, Christopher, that is not how things work in the UK.

As they say in law school: Answer the question you were asked, not the question you wish had been asked.

The OP regarded being told to obtain something that apparently is unobtainable, or at least something that is not easy and obvious to obtain. The proper response, even in the UK, would be, "Please clarify what it is, exactly, that you want and what, exactly, I must do to obtain it."

#8 5-17-2017 10:09 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Globetrotter
Posts: 5952

CMTinPHX wrote:

planxty wrote:

Regrettably, Christopher, that is not how things work in the UK.

And in the present job market, the answer would likely be something along the lines of "well, mate, you chose to go abroad.  There's ten people behind you in the queue who can get a CRB tomorrow.  Do you want this job or not? Because we're looking for people with a sense of initiative and personal responsibility, and problem solving ability, not people who give me extra jobs to do."

I'm not saying that's right, fair, or in line with employment law.  It's just that that is how the market in the agency sector works.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer