#1 5-2-2017 7:26 AM

keyoungs
Kristen
New York, United States
Award: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 112

2 Women in CA

Hi guys,

I posted a similar question in the SA forum, but am looking for advice in Central America, too.

I've been traveling the world on and off as a solo female for quite some time now, but never in Central America. I've also lived in NYC (including Harlem) for 4 years and consider myself to be rather "street savvy."

I'm now married and have started an open-ended world trip with my wife (we're 2 females). We both work online and are trying to see as much of the world as we can with this opportunity.

We have been in Mexico for 2 months now, and have another 2 planned before we move on. We're deciding where to go afterwards, but plan to travel south through Central and South America.

If you have any input on the following, I'd be deeply appreciative!

Our ideal travel scenario:

-Located within walking distance of markets, cafes, restaurants
-Safe area for 2 women alone
-Party scene is unimportant
-Plenty of outdoor things to do
-"On the grid" enough to have stable internet connection

While we'd like to travel more to more remote areas, we are reliant on a good internet connection. Also, one of us is fluent in Spanish.

We've considered the following locations so far:

-Costa Rica (anywhere)
-Guatemala (Antigua, Lake Atitlan)
-Nicaragua (not sure where?)
-Panama (Panama City?)

Each of those places has always been on my radar, but lately I've read some pretty negative accounts. I've never let it bother me before, but I can't shake it this time. Should we be concerned outside of the "be aware of your surroundings" type warnings? We understand that things happen everywhere, BUT we don't want to constantly feel like we're in potential danger. It's one thing to be on your guard for a week long trip, and another to constantly feel unsafe, 24/7, for the foreseeable future. I'd really appreciate any insight into safety, and other general suggestions/comments. Thanks!

#2 5-3-2017 2:27 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 144

Re: 2 Women in CA

I'm just back from Costa Rica, and though travelling as a mature (70's) couple both with a rental car and local buses found no problems on security at all. Tortuguero was personally my favourite on the part we covered. We were warned off certain areas of San José during night hours but the main centre, which can be seen in a halfday is no problem. Around the bus stations is a little dodgy late in the evening or early morning, but planning for 8/9 °'clock morning starts are OK.
In general Costaricans are a very friendly bunch of people and helpful.

#3 5-3-2017 2:53 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 389

Re: 2 Women in CA

Hi Kristen. Can't say much about Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama - haven't been there yet, though I'm planning to this October, after Mexico. smile
But for Guatemala, I think Antigua and Lake Atitlan (and the surrounding villages like San Marcos, San Pedro, etc) are a good choice given your criteria. I'd also recommend the Mayan ruins in Tikal, accessible from Flores - and, if you like the Mayan stuff and want to see more, Copan Ruinas in the Honduras. For safety, I found these places quite ok, though you'd have to exercise common travel sense anywhere. But what I found more dangerous/seedy in this region were the capitals - e.g. Guatemala City, and its bus station if you're traveling by bus. I'll advise spending minimum time here, to just change transport if needed, and then head to Antigua.

Bon voyage.

#4 5-3-2017 5:25 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 461

Re: 2 Women in CA

Ditto what pfsmalo wrote although we are a bit  older - an older (80 and almost 80) couple in Costa Rica in August 2016.  No security problems at all.  We were in Tortuguero which has plenty of activities but mostly is centered around the lodge where you stay.   We also went to the Quepos area on this trip, but we've been to Monteverde, and Drakes Bay also and I understand that the northwest area is also really good.

When we were in Costa Rica previously, the problem was mostly theft from unattended cars, so we parked in secured parking lots and tipped the attendant.

#5 5-3-2017 6:54 AM

keyoungs
Kristen
New York, United States
Award: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 112

Re: 2 Women in CA

Thanks for all the input. I'm starting to think maybe heading to Guatemala next and then onto Costa Rica afterwards might be a good plan, so this information is really helpful.

I've heard some pretty sketchy things about transport out of Guatemala City airport to pretty much anywhere - dodgy taxis and buses. Can anyone recommend a company to leave straight from the airport to Antigua? Any experience with this?

I appreciate the tips!

#6 5-3-2017 7:04 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Posts: 389

Re: 2 Women in CA

Not sure about the airport to Antigua transport, as I came in to Guatemala by land from Mexico. But there should be some I assume - just fix the price beforehand.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer