#26 5-5-2017 11:09 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Western Africa in July

Of course the situation for Indian passports is different then for Austrian passports. Benin used to have visa on arrival and to my knowledge stil easy, Equatorial Guinea is apparently very difficult, Cameroon might be difficult (i'm interrested to go there, don't know when). i find this site useful but not all the time correct (certainly not for visa in the nearby countries): http://www.projectvisa.com/

#27 5-6-2017 1:43 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Thanks, Uli.

#28 5-7-2017 2:49 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

If I remember rightly, on crossing from Togo into Benin you get a 48 hour visa at the border, that is if you're not staying a while longer.

#29 5-7-2017 2:53 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

That's great, Paul. Thanks. I don't intend to stay for more than that in Benin anyway, so if this is true, it'll be perfect.

#30 5-7-2017 2:59 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Sorry Apurva, but my info now seems out of date : Here is some info on this guy's blog :

http://www.brendansadventures.com/trave … n-in-lome/

The address given in Kodjoviakope is quite close to the Ghana/Togo border. Any moto-taxi will take you there for a few cfa.

#31 5-7-2017 4:17 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Wanderer

Thanks, Paul. That's a good blog with lots of useful information.

#32 5-7-2017 5:05 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Unfortunately one is never sure of surprises with African visas (probably the same for non Europeans with Schengen visa). For my first Ghana visa i went first to Berlin (very few African embassies in Vienna), a rather unfriendly lady told me i can get it only in Berne (Switzerland, going there is 3 times as expensive, but that embassy was friendly), my travel companion got it in 2 hours in Ouagadougou. My seconde time Berlin was still not possible, but i got it very easy and much cheaper in Bangkok, but at the same time in travel forums people where complaining about the difficulties getting it). Sierra Leone last year in Berlin not possible, in Banjul, Gambia easy and within 1 hour..., Angola in general very difficult last year easy in Accra...

#33 5-7-2017 8:08 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Wanderer

Yes, that's true - I've found the same for several countries in Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Africa, although I have little experience of Western Africa. While most countries were pretty straightforward with visas on arrival or visas in the home embassies, some were quite complicated. For Sudan, a local Sudanese organisation that had invited me had to apply to their Foreign Affairs Ministry, and it took over a month. For DR Congo, I was asked for a bribe on the Rwandan border. Botswana needed so much of preplanning and paperwork that I decided to skip it. And so on. So let's see what Western Africa turns out to be.

Last edited by Apurva_N (5-7-2017 10:08 AM)

#34 5-7-2017 9:18 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer

What i read for Benin for visa in Ghana you will need Passport, 120 Cedi fee, two passport size photos, at least one hotel reservation  two copies of passport ID page (6 and 4 month ago, in 1 day), probably similar in Lome with a similar amount in CFA.
Equitorial Guinea the Berlin embassy website sound very unfriendly:
http://www.botschaft-aequatorialguinea. … do/visado/
i did read it might be possible to get the visa (cross the border illegal?) at the Cameroon landborder (do that only if you have a cameroon double entry visa and it might be better doing that as a daytrip in the border area).
Also the author of the Bradt Equitorial Guinea travel guide 2014 claims in his book are detailed instructions for getting the visa. Copy from Bradt:

How do you get a visa? Isn't it really difficult?

In short, yes, getting a tourist visa to Equatorial Guinea is extremely difficult. It took me seven weeks of hassling the embassy in London to get one. I have heard similar tales from elsewhere in Europe. The main issue is that they always want an official letter of invitation, which has to have been signed off by the Ministry of National Security. This is impossible to get for anyone but a business working in the country. You can pay a tour company to do it for you (like Ruta47, Besari Bohopo or GuineaTur - infoguineatur@guineatur.com, bbohopo@bebotra.com or reservas@ruta47.com)but this is expensive, and they usually only help out people who are using their services on arrival.

Your best bet is to get in without an official invitation. You can do this by either applying at an embassy that is less fussy about their paperwork (some African embassies, and the Consulate in Gran Canaria come to mind), or by submitting a vaguely official looking letter of invitation that has not been accredited by the Ministry of National Security. I went for the latter option, using a letter of invitation written by some contacts who were working in an NGO in Malabo. Although they weren't happy about it, in the end the embassy in London issued the visa.

#35 5-7-2017 8:37 PM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Wanderer

This sounds complicated. I might then just do Mauritania, Senegal and Gambia instead of Equatorial Guinea and Gabon. Thanks Uli.

#36 5-8-2017 7:31 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer

Gambia and Senegal is no problem, Mauritania had sometimes visa on arrival, now I don't know (traveling right now, back home in 3 weeks) it was easy 2011. Sao Tome & Principe would an other country without visa for many, but air connections are not easy...

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer