#1 4-29-2017 6:28 AM

Touring around Jordan in late October

Has anyone any experience of touring around Jordan in late October?
We have a week's break from school and would like to combine about a week of touring around the major sites (Amman, Petra, Wadi Rum, Dead Sea) with a few days snorkelling at Aqaba.
I have researched the air and water temperatures (about 26C and 24C respectively), which sound pretty comfortable.  Has anyone any practical experience of this?
It would also be most useful to hear recommendations for companies that offer good and cost-competitive packages in Jordan.

#2 4-29-2017 6:35 AM

Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

I was there a few months ago in December and the temps at the Dead Sea were still hot, OK for swimming, so I would assume it's fine year round because of the low elevation and latitude. I went through Petra Nights Tours and had a good experience. Nice hotels and good service. Petra and Jerash were certainly the highlights. Although Petra is like a feeding frenzy for hawkers, they will not leave you alone... they are relentless.

#3 4-29-2017 7:08 AM

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

Thanks Chris - their website looks great, and I have already asked for some clarification!

#4 4-29-2017 7:57 AM

DAO
Wakefield, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 47

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

I self drove across Jordan. Its was cheap as I used a local rental company. I highly recommend it for the experience and price.

Have a great time, Jordan is a great country to explore.

#5 5-2-2017 12:04 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 140

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

I can't say anything about October, but I was there in December.  In the high elevations and places like Wadi Rum and Petra, there was frost overnight, but by ~11am, it was well above 25C with an intense sun.  Bring layers and remove them as you feel comfortable.  The lower elevations felt almost tropical.

#6 5-2-2017 3:07 AM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer
Posts: 95

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

I lived in Jordan for 5 years and October should be fine although it can be cold at night in Amman and Petra. Amman is over 1000m above sea level and Petra is 1200m above sea level.

#7 5-2-2017 3:33 AM

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

I didn't know that you lived in Jordan, Davidjo - live and learn!
I also didn't realise that there was such a height differential - it must be quite a drop down to the Dead Sea, but I suppose that this is the descent into the Rift Valley.
Thanks for the feedback smile

#8 5-2-2017 4:38 AM

harbinger wrote:

Granted, Petra Nights Tours can be a little pricey depending on how many days you book and what you want to do, but it's convenient and they took care of everything. You have a choice of low budget, mid-range, and luxury hotels, I booked mid-range and all the hotels were nice. My guide/driver spoke perfect English and took me to some great local food spots and offered some good local advice on customs and stuff. I could of done it cheaper on my own, but since I wasn't familiar with the country I'm glad I hired them. Like I said though, Petra is nuts with the bedouins, they will not leave you alone... just keep saying no and walk away.

#9 5-2-2017 6:21 AM

joyful_pilgrim
Karla
Guelph, Canada
Award: Photographer I
Posts: 9

DAO wrote:

Have a great time, Jordan is a great country to explore.

I'm very interested in this thread, as I'm going to Jordan November 14-24.  I'm thinking of self-driving.  Do you have details of the car rental company that you used, Dao?  What were the parking regulations and was parking easy to find?  I was thinking I would pick up the car at the Amman airport, drive to Madaba for first two night's accommodation (driving in Amman is by all accounts to be avoided). See Jerash, Bethany, Mt. Nebo, Amman's archaeological sites, Madaba itself, the Dead Sea and the desert castles.  Then two nights in a Bedouin camp in Wadi Rum (Jordan Tracks is the company I have contacted re: jeep/trek/camel experience).  Then two nights in Petra.  Then two in Aqaba before driving back to Amman for my 3.30am flight!

I was in Israel in February in 2011, and found it comfortable, as opposed to sweltering which I would have done in the summer months.  The Dead Sea was comfortable enough to float in at that time.  The only thing was we had a few days of rain (which makes Israelis very happy), but we were worried that the road from Jerusalem, to Jericho to the Dead Sea would be washed out.  I don't know if the Jordanian side is similar elevations with similar issues.  Also daylight is less in the winter, which is something to be factored in if you have a day where you're planning to see ALL the desert castles.

#10 5-2-2017 11:57 PM

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

Nice to get your feedback, Karla!  It seems that you have had the same reaction to the unsociable flight times as I did when I started to research options smile
Chris, I have to say that I am very impressed with the responsiveness and flexibility that Petra Night Tours has shown so far, especially with rejigging the schedule to allow time for horse riding and the night tour of Petra (which only runs three days a week).
We are confident enough to self drive in sub Saharan Africa, because we know what to expect, but as this is our first foray into this region, we feel more comfortable having someone to 'hold our hand'.  If our experience is good - particularly with the Red Sea snorkelling - then we will be back!

#11 5-3-2017 3:10 AM

harbinger wrote:

I missed out on the actual candle-lit night tour because it was really cold with high winds when I went in December. If you hire them though, ask for Tayseer to be your driver. He knows all the good food spots and local info/customs. For in depth tours though at certain archeological sites, you'll need to hire a guide for $10-$20 USD/hour. Probably unnecessary at places like Umm Quais, Karak/Ajloun/Shobak Castles... but I would definitely at Petra and Jerash.

#12 5-3-2017 3:54 AM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer
Posts: 95

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

Cathy The Dead Sea area can be very hot but it is shrinking fast. I believe when i lived there it was less than 400m below sea level, and now it is 430 m below sea level.Bring your newspaper and take the customary photo lying on your back with the newspaper open. Make sure not to get the water in your eyes.

#13 5-3-2017 6:18 AM

joyful_pilgrim
Karla
Guelph, Canada
Award: Photographer I
Posts: 9

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

Do people here have good experience with the Petra by night tour?  Some of what I've been reading has said it is lack-lustre, so I was planning to forego it, but allow myself 2 full days exploring Petra (apparently the site is huge with lots of walking trails you can take).  The Jordan Pass looks like a good deal.  Between the visa costs it obviates and the entry to Petra it more than pays for itself (and it includes entry to about 40 other sites besides).  I have snorkelled before (Hawaii and Tobago) but have never scuba'd.  I wonder what you can see in the Red Sea by just floating on top of the water with a snorkel and a mask?

#14 5-3-2017 11:23 AM

joyful_pilgrim wrote:

Karla, I've seen good reviews of the snorkelling, but then we don't dive, so can only compare it to our other snorkelling experiences.  They key factor for success is to have coral reef or rocks at a shallow depth, and from what I read, Aqaba does offer this.  Don't think we'll be snorkelling in the Dead Sea though smile
I have previously researched the Jordan Pass, and it does indeed seem to offer exceptionally good value.

#15 5-6-2017 5:11 AM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 407

joyful_pilgrim wrote:

I recommend Petra by Night --- please check out my Petra by Night blog entry...it gets crowded, but just let everyone scramble past you to the Treasury and you can walk ALL BY YOURSELF through the Siq by candlelight with a starry sky winking at you through the crack between canyon walls above.  I cherish this memory!

#16 5-6-2017 5:15 AM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Wanderer
Posts: 407

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

...and PS on the general question!  smile

Cathy, we visited in mid-October.  Camped at both Petra and Wadi Rum, and swam in the Dead Sea and at Aqaba.  The temperature was always comfortable to slightly warm (both for sleeping at night and being in the water).  October gets my recommendation for a good time to visit!

#17 5-6-2017 8:01 AM

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

Thanks Vance - so good to have such positive feedback!
I was always one to linger at the back ...

#18 6-28-2017 3:17 AM

gomesal1
Allen
Goa, India
Posts: 10

Re: Touring around Jordan in late October

Jordan in October is surely a thumbs up. When I went there it was in November, it was very pleasant and had a great experience. You can browse some of the local companies who can show you around. They will help you out with great details.  Here is the agency which I recommend, select.jo I appointed them back in 2014. Hope this will help you.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer