#1 4-26-2017 2:40 PM

Arizona, United States
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug III

Foreign Movies

At times when I cannot travel (usually due to doctors) I enjoy watching movies from other countries.  How about our fellow TB members?  Are you a friend of the subtitles?  What foreign movies do you like?  I have a large collection of movies and many have subtitles.  My last Foreign Film Festival was of my Icelandic movies; with an emphasis on the fine director,  Baltasar Korm├íkur.  I enjoyed him as an actor in "Devil's Island" and as a director in all of his efforts especially the very funny "White Night Wedding" which included many great shots of a small island off the Northern coast of Iceland.

#2 4-26-2017 4:33 PM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 4122

Re: Foreign Movies

my favorite director is pedro almodovar and my favorite film he made was all about my mother.

then i love the works of majid majidi - children of heaven, color of paradise and the song of sparrows.

my top 10 foreign films are:

1. all about my mother (spanish)
2. color of paradise (iranian)
3. cinema paradiso (italian)
4. central station (brazil)
5. malena (italian)
6. broken wings (israel)
7. not one less (china)
8. pans labyrinth (mexican)
9. bandit queen (india)
10. osama (afghanistan) / stoning of soraya m. (iran)

#3 4-28-2017 12:57 AM

Spirited Away is Japanese, and I loved it too
Pan's Labyrinth, which I thought was Spanish but I'll take Lauro's word it's not!
Are we counting British as foreign here? It's not foregn to me but it is to the OP.  And there are loads and loads of British films I could list but I'm going to stick with Attack the Block, a comedy about aliens invading a South London tower block.

#4 4-28-2017 4:09 AM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 172

Re: Foreign Movies

Well - US movies are foreign movies to me;-)

We get to see a lot of movies not only from the USA and UK but also Italy, France, the Spanish speaking world and many other countries and languages on TV and in cinemas. Subtitles are rare, though.  99,5% is dubbed. Thus no chance for language practice.

#5 4-28-2017 11:27 AM

Spirited Away is Japanese, and I loved it too

I loved "Attack the Block" and own it on DVD.  Also enjoyed "Shaun of the Dead" and "End of the World" which were also Sci-Fi comedies.

#6 4-28-2017 11:29 AM

lauro wrote:

my top 10 foreign films are:

1. all about my mother (spanish)
2. color of paradise (iranian)
3. cinema paradiso (italian)
4. central station (brazil)
5. malena (italian)
6. broken wings (israel)
7. not one less (china)
8. pans labyrinth (mexican)
9. bandit queen (india)
10. osama (afghanistan) / stoning of soraya m. (iran)

I am a big fan of Wim Wenders as a director; Armin Mueller-Stahl as an actor and Franka Potente as an actress.

#7 4-28-2017 3:35 PM

lauro
Germany
Posts: 4122

Re: Foreign Movies

sarah - yeah pan's labyrinth is spanish - but well its mexican produce but they all sound the same lol. i always look at the directors. john boyega was amazing in the attack the block - too funny! i like british horror (and suspense) films - howl (2015) was great! plus small scale british fantasy films - the waterhorse for example.

kathrin - yeah - its mostly dubbed here - the only ones are in arte tv if the movie is french, then it would be subtitled in german. but there are small independent cinemas that show the original language and subtitles in the bottom.

jim - for me, franke potente downgraded after lola run. she was so good there but she wasnt really given a role that could show her potential - i watched creep, the princess and the warrior, anatomy and bourne legacy, she couldnt top her performance there sad

#8 4-29-2017 4:07 AM

markdd
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 776

Re: Foreign Movies

I got a bunch of good Thai movies and other Asian movies from asiatorrents.

I'm currently watching Pablo Escobar: El Patron del Mar on netflix. It blows Narcos out of the water, no contest. It also helps my spanish and you get to see a lot of beautiful Antioquia Colombia

#9 4-29-2017 5:43 AM

Spirited Away is Japanese, and I loved it too

I love Shaun of the Dead - I slightly prefer Hot Fuzz, which was the same team, but it might well not translate out of the UK as well as Shaun did!

#10 4-29-2017 11:05 AM

Re: Foreign Movies

Lauro and Sarah.  Pan's Labyrinth was a Spanish/Mexican/US co-production so you are both right.  The director Guillermo del Toro (quite good in my opinion) is from Mexico.

#11 4-29-2017 11:15 AM

Re: Foreign Movies

I own some early German movies:  The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and The Golem from 1920; Nosferatu from 1922 and Secrets of a Soul from 1926.  I also enjoy the movies done in East Germany in the 1960s like:  Trace of Stones; The Rabbit is Me; Born in '45; and Berlin Schonhauser Corner (actually from 1957).  I hope to get a copy of Legend of Paul and Paula someday.  Anyone seen it?

#12 4-29-2017 11:17 AM

markdd wrote:

I got a bunch of good Thai movies and other Asian movies from asiatorrents.

I also own some Thai movies; although my largest Asian collection is Japanese.  I also have about 100 Korean movies since I lived there for a while.

#13 4-29-2017 8:42 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 407

sarahelaine wrote:

I treasure both of those flicks, but "Hot Fuzz" is absolutely brilliant!  A spectacular combo of cinematography meshing with the frenetic pace...

Last edited by vances (4-29-2017 8:44 PM)

#14 5-3-2017 10:46 AM

vances wrote:

sarahelaine wrote:

Hi Vances, my movie collection consists of movies from "Osama" from Afghanistan to "Jit" from Zimbabwe so variable is what I am hoping for.

#15 5-5-2017 6:07 PM

maykal
Michael
Saint Andrews, Scotland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer
Posts: 55

Re: Foreign Movies

We have a weekly showing of a Middle Eastern film, usually in Arabic or Persian to try and give our students a bit of language practice and introduce something about the culture, but we also sometimes show films in Kurdish and Turkish too. Some of the popular ones we've shown have been:

Omar (Palestine)
Paradise Now (Palestine)
Lamma Shuftak (Palestine)
West Beirut (Lebanon)
Caramel (Lebanon)
Under The Bombs (Lebanon)
Theeb (Jordan)
A Separation (Iran)
Blackboards (Iran)
Ten (Iran)
Three Monkeys (Turkey)
Wadjda (Saudi Arabia)
Rachida (Algeria)
Harragas (Algeria)
Bab El-Oued City (Algeria)

One I saw recently but haven't yet shown is The First Movie (Iraq), about kids in a Kurdish village who are given cameras and sent off to make their own films about anything they liked.

#16 5-6-2017 12:04 AM

vances wrote:

sarahelaine wrote:

I think he just meant this is quite an international forum.  To some of us, what you're listing as a foreign film is domestic, and American made films are foreign.  smile

#17 6-8-2017 12:42 AM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 170

Re: Foreign Movies

Don't ask me to recall the names of them, but I have enjoyed many a foreign film and subtitles don't bother me. I do like films from the Scandinavian region.

#18 6-10-2017 4:30 PM

#19 7-2-2017 7:21 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 145

Re: Foreign Movies

I am not a great watcher of films myself and cannot remember the last time I was in a cinema.

About the only time I ever watch a film is to relieve the interminable boredom and nicotine cravings of a long-haul flight and I have been known to watch a subtitled foreign film there, usually one pertaining to my final destination.  It is the same with the music channels, I often listen to a music mix of the country I am going to just to "get in the mood" and on the return as I am always so reluctant for my trip to end.

#20 7-5-2017 12:09 AM

zschachwitz
Keith
Chestfield, England
Posts: 4

Re: Foreign Movies

My all-time favourite non-english language film was "Boccaccio 70", which I first saw in 1963.   I still have the EP of the music from it, and a YouTube favourite of music by Armando Travajoli, the composer.

A close second must be Jacques Tati

Mrs Z and I watch nearly all the non-English language films on BBC4 here in the UK, but pass on the Inspector Montalbano series, (Italian).

I see that Deutschland 83 will be updated to Deutschland 86, and it looks as if there 's a drama in the pipeline about life as a DDR border guard

#21 7-5-2017 12:46 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1313

Pan's Labyrinth ( Sp/Mex) is one of my favorites
Rabbit proof fence  (aus)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon got me in to the Chinese movies, seen a lot since then, last one The Assassin
Honogurai mizu no soko kara, the Japanese version of Dark water, way better than the Hollywood remake
Dutch and German movies are not really foreign for me (don't need subs)
Everything in English is foreign for me but I'm at the stage where I watch English movie with English subs  :-)

#22 7-5-2017 11:38 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 112

Re: Foreign Movies

With not a lot of spare time, I don't watch many movies anymore and tend to enjoy watching foreign TV shows on Netflix, so can't remember all the various foreign films I've watched. A couple that do stick out in my mind though are from Brazil, Behind the Sun and City of Gods.

#23 7-9-2017 9:07 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 167

Re: Foreign Movies

I love French movies because they're so - well - French, and although they're probably 20 years old, I still really enjoy the Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources movies (which are worth watching just for the glorious scenery, let alone anything else).
Two favourite South African movies.  Jock of the Bushveld, but the older version with Jonathan Rands and an unforgettable Johnny Clegg soundtrack (rather than the sappy American remake with Robert Uhrich, which inexcusably substituted a happier ending).  And District 9, by Neill Blomkamp, which manages to draw unlikely parallels between an invasion of Earth by prawn-like creatures and the apartheid era - even if you're not a sci fi fan, it's terrific.
The foreign movie I watch most often is the superb 'Goodbye Lenin', an ultra black comedy about the fall of the Iron Curtain on a family in former East Berlin, which makes you want to cringe and roll around on the floor laughing all at once.

#24 7-10-2017 1:23 PM

harbinger wrote:

I like all of the movies you mentioned and agree that "Goodbye, Lenin" is superb.

#25 7-12-2017 12:55 AM

zschachwitz
Keith
Chestfield, England
Posts: 4

harbinger wrote:

I agree about Goodbye Lenin.   Some while ago I also saw Go Trabi Go, about a family from Bitterfeld who drove their tried and trusted Trabi to Rome, (I think).   I went through Bitterfeld a month ago, but by train rather than by car, and it looks a cleaner brighter place than it would have been 30 years ago

Board footer