#1 4-20-2017 6:05 AM

Queentutti
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Food items to take from U.K. To Belfast

I am going to visit a friend in Belfast in a few weeks and was wondering if there was anything we have here in the Uk that I could take her that she can't get in Belfast.

Thanks

#2 4-20-2017 2:52 PM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 111

Re: Food items to take from U.K. To Belfast

Belfast is part of the U.K.  Just saying...

#3 4-20-2017 3:50 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5855

Re: Food items to take from U.K. To Belfast

There's won't be much you could get in the mainland uk as a whole that you won't get in Belfast. There
Might be regional specialty foods which are harder to get hold of outside their home region (for example it's hard to get hold of decent Eccles cake outside north west England, tablet outside Scotland, and very little of the good cider outside the south west of England). And yes, right now Belfast is in the U.K.- but Christopher, many people there consider themselves Irish. It's probably politer (and in many places safer) to avoid the whole topic of nationality as far as you can.

#4 4-20-2017 4:03 PM

DAO
Wakefield, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato
Posts: 47

Re: Food items to take from U.K. To Belfast

Its better the other way around. I found some of the produce, meats and even spice mixes better in the border regions of Northern Ireland.

Personally I find food below average in the UK, up from 'Starvation is an option' when I moved here 20 years ago. Its bad when people joke about their own cuisine.

I would look for some local souvenirs or crafts as a gift.

All the best,

DAO

#5 4-21-2017 4:05 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 98

Re: Food items to take from U.K. To Belfast

I do not want this to degenerate into some sort of political debate which is certainly not what this site is about but it is a simple fact that Belfast is in the UK and will remain so for the foreseeable future now that the Republic of Ireland has dropped it's constitutional claim to NI as part of the Good Friday agreement.  I was born in Belfast and lived the first 27 years of my life in Northern Ireland so I feel I have some small knowledge of the situation.

Sarahelaine,  you are right that leaving the subject of nationality out oif conversations is an extremely wise course but, just to redress the balance a little, many people there do indeed consider themselves Irish but more consider themselves British.

As for bringing food Queentutti, there is little that would not be available in NI except regional specialities as mentioned above and, in fact, the reverse may be true.  You may well end up bringing things back to UK from NI that can be a bit difficult to find in mainland Britain like wheaten bread, soda farls, potato bread and, most importantly, Tayto cheese and onion crisps which are undoubtedly the best crisps in the world.  When I visit my friend in Canada I have to take a whole box of them to keep her happy!  As it happens they are made about half a mile from my Father's house and my sister in law works in the factory part-time.  If you have not tried them, you simply must.

Have fun in Belfast and say hello to Robinson's, the Crown, the Egg and the Bot for me (they are all pubs)!

#6 4-21-2017 5:04 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5855

Re: Food items to take from U.K. To Belfast

Fergy, point taken: I was at university in Edinburgh and there were a lot of people from Northern Ireland. I got it wrong in both directions, more often calling people who considered themselves Irish British but also vice Verda. And it got really messy once the subject of Derry/Londonderry came up. Things are a lot calmer now- I was in uni when Good Friday was signed- but I've learned to dodge the whole topic until someone makes it clear themselves.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer