#1 4-18-2017 4:03 AM

Posts: 5

Travel Australia for 4 weeks - where to start?

Hi all,

After meeting some awesome people from Australia whilst travelling, I'd like to plan a trip. Hoping to get an extended time off work for 4-6 weeks maybe heading out mid December till end of January.

I've always done organised tours so I was considering doing an organised tour for the first two weeks then maybe do my own thing for a bit.

I have friends in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane that I'd like to visit. I saw a good trip which starts in Darwin and finishes in Adelaide. Thought that could be  good trip then followed by travelling on my own.

I guess I just don't really know where to start with the planning? Do people book flights whilst in the UK or are they easy to book whilst there? I'd prefer to be more flexible with my times.

Also if I do the tour from Darwin to Adelaide, does it then make sense to fly from Adelaide to Melbourne, Melbourne to Sydney then Sydney to Brisbane? Where to go to from there?

Thanks.

#2 4-18-2017 6:18 AM

shavy
Belinda
Nomad
Posts: 963

Re: Travel Australia for 4 weeks - where to start?

The first time I visit Australia started my trip in Darwin where I join in a group tour. If you want to see something from Northern Territory joining a tour is best way

I book that tour online before flying to Australia. The trip starts from Darwin and ended up in Adelaide. I flown to Sydney afterwards I book a flight in advance.......you can choose if you want to have a good deal with flights booking in advance is cheaper or book a flight while in Australia, expect to pay more. You can check their budget airlines

4-6 weeks is not that long, I spent 3 weeks from my first visit - Darwin to Adeliade and Sydney

The second times I went back and spent 4 weeks, my trip start in Sydney I rent a car and make my way to Melbourne.......I've seen Tasmania and Kangaroo island on that trip

I haven't been to Queensland, that is my plan when I'm going back for the third time. And I have excuses of going back, because my daughter is a student in Melborune, so I'm plan to go back next year

Last edited by shavy (4-18-2017 6:38 AM)

#3 4-18-2017 7:20 AM

Re: Travel Australia for 4 weeks - where to start?

Thanks so much for the reply Shavy. Do you prefer doing shorter trips than a long one? I take it you like Australia to keep coming back?

#4 4-18-2017 8:23 AM

shavy
Belinda
Nomad
Posts: 963

beckyboo1986 wrote:

There are so much to see in Australia and that is the reason I'm gojng back :-)  Is a vast country you need at leat 3-6 months to see the whole country.

What you have in mind 4-6 weeks is not enough even you fly from one state to another. If you only want to see your friends in big cities, well, is  maybe enough, but there are so much things to do outside the cities.

December and January is peak season, accommodations are expensive, or are you staying at your friends place? if you do that save you a lot money. Australia is expensive smile

#5 4-18-2017 8:44 AM

Re: Travel Australia for 4 weeks - where to start?

I'm hoping my friends will let me stay with them so that'll definitely help. If not, then I was thinking about staying in hostels along the way.

I know it's so huge so it's hard to pinpoint where to start exploring.

#6 5-9-2017 11:07 PM

7. A road trip from Brisbane to Cairns
8. Explore the Great Barrier Reef
9. Visit Gold Coast
10. Seafood Joints in Sydney

I haven't seen as many TravBuddy meetups in Australia ... perhaps one of the folks down under could plan for a meetup during summer or autumn time frame? Or even springtime ... Aussie climate zone, of course.

The list that Gemma provided can be a guideline of a central theme for the meetup.

#8 5-10-2017 3:27 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1350

Re: Travel Australia for 4 weeks - where to start?

I'm also started planning a trip down under, also about 4 weeks but I have to put it all together to se if it's going to be next year or I need to safe some more money ...
I'm planning something like: camping trip red center, Darwin/Kakadu, great barrier reef cruise with snorkling/diving and family visit in the area Perth
But while going through the brochures I find all kind of other great looking places but I'm going to need a year off for all that!

#9 5-10-2017 8:08 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Posts: 134

Re: Travel Australia for 4 weeks - where to start?

In Melbourne there is a tour company called Echidna Walkabout Nature Tours. We took a one day tour with them and they took us into preserves that are not open to the public. We were able to see the Kangaroos, Koalas, and several other animals in the wild. It was reasonably priced and made the whole trip. They do have some multi-day trips also.

#10 6-27-2017 1:15 AM

dchinmay
Chinmay
Mumbai, India
Posts: 17

Re: Travel Australia for 4 weeks - where to start?

Hello, I did my Australia tour in a month's time, of course not all Australia. I started with Perth to the west and then after exploring it for three days I moved to eastern side starting with Melbourne, canberra, Sydney, Gold coast, Brisbane and ending my trip at Cairns.

It is wise to start your trip with group, you will get to know much more. Once you get confident and know where to be next you can travel solo.

If you wish I can share my itinerary. I design my own so that it is flexible and suited to me. I can share you the details. Let me know.

#11 6-27-2017 12:40 PM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 167

Re: Travel Australia for 4 weeks - where to start?

You've already had good feedback from others, but as I lived in Oz for a few years, it's worth highlighting a couple of practical considerations.
Firstly, you may not be aware that the long school holidays begin just before Christmas and extend through to the end of January.  This means that air fares and accommodation costs rise sharply in response to the demand.
Whereas during quieter periods of the year, you might not want/need to book air tickets well in advance, you'd be wise to do so over this peak period to avoid disappointment and excessive cost.
Thus, if you want to retain flexibility and contain costs, I would suggest that it might be worthwhile considering whether you tweak the timing of your trip to try and avoid school holidays.  This may not be possible (perhaps because your trip is timed to coordinate with your mates being on holiday), but if it were possible, moving your trip forward by even a couple of weeks could potentially save you quite a lot of money.
The tour you've identified from Darwin to Adelaide will undoubtedly be spectacular, as there are so many varied things to see and do.  However, it's worth considering how this trip will fit in with your plans for the rest of the time.  If you're coming from the UK, you'll most likely fly into Sydney or Melbourne (possible Brisbane), and then would need to fly to Darwin to join the tour.  Darwin is a bit of an outlier, and - unlike routes between the bigger cities, where competition keeps the prices down - is relatively expensive to get to.  You also don't mention whether the tour follows an inland or coastal route - if it's the latter (which is more probable), then you will likely pass through/close to Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.  If you then intend to visit your friends in these cities after the tour, then you'll effectively be backtracking.  Not that this is necessarily wrong, but given that you have limited time to explore a huge country, and that airfares in Oz are not cheap, it's probably worth making a conscious decision to do so.
If it were me, I'd buy an open jaw ticket (for example, flying into Melbourne and departing via Sydney or Brisbane), and then plan my time to work my way between these two points.  Australian cities are pretty user friendly and easy to explore, so instead of doing one long guided tour from one end of the country to the other, I would suggest that you consider exploring these solo (or with fellow travellers who you'll inevitably meet on the road, especially if you're staying in hostels) and add on shorter, targeted trips to more remote areas that you can't easily access by yourself.
Hope this helps - Oz is a great place, and whatever you end up doing, you'll have a wonderful time.

#12 6-27-2017 4:48 PM

matthew
Matthew
Nottingham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 3720

Re: Travel Australia for 4 weeks - where to start?

Don't do the tour in my opinion.  It's too fast.  4 weeks for all that distance, you'll spend so much time on buses.  I'd cut out Adelaide if anything, possibly Darwin too (which is a shame), but with 4 weeks, I'd say be more condensed and focused.  It's a bigger area than the span of Paris to Moscow - imgaine that in four weeks! Cairns to Melbourne for me, and pik on highlight stop offs.

#13 6-27-2017 10:05 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 188

Re: Travel Australia for 4 weeks - where to start?

I just heard yesterday on the radio a guy from the NT parks saying how some of the parks are getting poor repair and closed in some areas due to croc numbers etc, and tourism has dropped severely because of it, so maybe do some more checking about what you want to see up there and the latest conditions. That time of year is pretty wet. The Wet season spans from November until April and is characterised by increased humidity often over 80% followed by monsoonal rains and storms.

#14 6-28-2017 2:50 AM

nolan
Posts: 3787

jacobi wrote:

Ughhh ... increased humidity and temperatures above 30 Celsius make for a bad combination. Throw in rain and storms and that spells "avoid if you can" for me.

For summer, I would choose beach destinations but almost everyone else will be there. Which means more expensive transport, accommodations, probably almost anything tourist related.

For a jump off point, it will likely be the gateway cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Darwin. Then use Jetstar or Virgin Australia to find your way to the other destinations using cheap fares.

#15 6-28-2017 3:18 AM

Polh
Pol
Posts: 134

Re: Travel Australia for 4 weeks - where to start?

I just came back from Australia a few weeks ago and for domestic flights the cheapest option was tigerair. I flew with them from Sydney to Melbourne, from Melbourne to Brisbane and from Brisbane back to Melbourne. Payed between 50 and 70 Aussie dollars a flight. Only to Ayers Rock airport I had to take a flight with Virgin Australia which wasn't cheap, to bad Tigerair ain't flying overthere.

#16 6-28-2017 8:13 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Posts: 188

Polh wrote:

I would highly recommend NOT flying with Tiger. I flew with them twice and they stuffed me up twice. They have very few planes and often have issues with them that totally ruin your schedule because they don't have a backup flight you can take. There a many complaints about them. My brother works for Qantas/Jetstar and has told me many stories. As Nolan suggested, Jetstar and Virgin are cheap airlines you can be confident about.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer