#1 4-10-2017 5:33 AM

rental car USA

Hi! me and my friends are travelling to San Francisco in September and we want to rent Chevrolet Tahoe smile we found one cheap option (at least I guess it is kinda cheap) - 19 days for 1300$ (Unlimited Mileage; Theft Protection; Taxes and Fees; SLI; LDW/CDW included). Do you think it is a good price or should I wait for a better option?

#2 4-10-2017 5:46 AM

Re: rental car USA

I don't think that is such a good price.  I went to the Budget website and got a Tahoe for 19 days for $655/day.

#3 4-10-2017 6:07 AM

Re: rental car USA

I just checked it on the Budget webpage and it is 1464$ for 19 days period, as we are not from US (we are from Lithuania) the price is different..

#4 4-10-2017 8:01 AM

osgoodst
steve
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1155

Re: rental car USA

since that includes insurance that is not too bad.  About 65 dollars a day.  If you really want to save money, and are unethical you can try to find corporate codes to get very large discounts for car rentals.  But make sure you don't get into a wreck or you are going to have some explaining to do...

#5 4-10-2017 9:21 AM

MNMark
Mark
Cambridge, Minnesota
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 254

Re: rental car USA

Check Turo as well, it's like airbnb for vehicles. I've never used it myself but know some people who rent out their vehicles on there. The prices listed on Turo are including insurance, so initially the difference might not seem that big.

#6 4-10-2017 9:40 AM

Thank you guys!!! smile

#7 4-10-2017 10:02 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 827

Re: rental car USA

Check Expedia https://www.expedia.com/ . For USA I mostly check the price first at Expedia, you can compared afterwards  the price by checking car rental website or booking through Expedia

Our last car rental in US was in Alaska, we got a car from Alamo booked through Expedia. Direct booking at Alamo is expensive, so we book a car via Expedia

Be sure to book a car from a reputable car rentals, that you won't be driving with wreck for your entire trip

The 1300$ for Tahoe is a good price with all-in insurance. A regular car is sufficient to drive in US and much cheaper than  Chevy Tahoe

#8 4-10-2017 12:30 PM

travlnflyn_guy
Jeff
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster III
Posts: 633

Re: rental car USA

Irma, when you arrive in San Francisco, where do you plan on visiting during your 19 day visit? I can't imagine you really need a Tahoe but its your vacation and money of course but if you're going to spend some of your time in San Fran, you could do without a car while there. Parking in San Fran isnt cheap either and many hotels generally charge extra to park if they even have parking available. How many people will you be traveling with? Maybe a roomy car will suit you and your friends and be significantly cheaper.

#9 4-10-2017 1:58 PM

tenaka
Shane
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 159

Re: rental car USA

My first thought as well Jeff. Unless you're towing something, or trying to fit 6+ people in it you can probably get a less expensive car and still be comfortable.

And you can take your time in SF and then rent a car when you leave town. Not only save you on the days you are in SF but also its cheaper to rent from anywhere other than the airport.

#10 4-10-2017 9:57 PM

Re: rental car USA

Well our plan is to stay in SF only for one night and then we are going to Lake Tahoe smile And I know that it would be a lot cheaper to rent other car but guys decided that it is absolutely necessary for them to rent Chevy Tahoe smile
So my task is to rent this car for a good price big_smile

#11 4-10-2017 11:33 PM

travlnflyn_guy
Jeff
Posts: 633

Re: rental car USA

Make sure you get a selfie with the Tahoe infront of Lake Tahoe. LOL.

#12 4-10-2017 11:34 PM

big_smile I sure will!

#13 4-11-2017 6:38 AM

irmabeinoraviciute wrote:

I knew you were not from the US, but didn't know where you were from so I said the UK  That's where I found the lower price.  (I also did not know the exact dates)

#14 4-14-2017 2:04 AM

scotttraveller
Scott
Fullerton, California
Posts: 3

Re: rental car USA

It's too costlly for 19 days..  I didn't think you should go for this deal.

#15 6-14-2017 12:31 AM

jasoncane
Posts: 1

Need Few Details before giving suggestion to you:

1. No of people traveling
2. Dates of booking
3. Car Category

Then I can Find Some great deal for you with best cars available.

#16 6-14-2017 2:02 AM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 170

No I think I meant for 19 days which would be $34.50/day

#19 7-26-2017 8:26 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 140

irmabeinoraviciute wrote:

The price should not be different, regardless of your origin.  If you are finding that the web sites give you different quoted prices after you enter your country, do not use that page.  However, what may affect the price is your age.  I don't know your age, but often renting a car under the age of 25 as example can increase the price almost 100% - its all about the insurance and security.

From personal experiences - I was able to rent a 24ft u-haul truck and drive it 2800 miles with no questions asked when I was 18 years old, but I needed my company to give me a support letter so I could rent a car for work until I  was 23 years old..

Last edited by DaveSwede (7-26-2017 8:27 AM)

#20 7-26-2017 6:21 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 70

Re: rental car USA

My favorite way to rent a car is through AutoSlash. When you reserve with them they start looking for discounts, and every time one becomes available they automatically re-book you (same car type, same company) at the lower rate.

If I make a booking a couple of months in advance, AutoSlash typically re-books at least twice. Sometimes the savings are substantial, sometimes only a few dollars.

#21 7-26-2017 8:04 PM

mnj11
Posts: 2

Re: rental car USA

Are you picking up from one location and dropping it at another ? Also, are you picking up the car from an airport ? If the answers are yes, then that would explain the high cost. Costco has some good prices sometimes but that may not be an option for you. I'd keep looking for a few days and see if the prices remain consistent.

#22 7-27-2017 8:08 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 112

Re: rental car USA

Unless you are used to diving big vehicles, I would not do a Tahoe. They are longer and corner differently, you need to take much wider corners. They also have a higher center of gravity. Parking is also much harder in that kind of vehicle.

Board footer