#1 4-6-2017 11:30 AM

Thailand 2 week trip

Hey,

Hello fellow travelers!

I'm eyeing Thailand for a trip in late-November to early-December.
Do you think this is a good period? Also considering the beaches?

I have about 14 full days and I have these places on my list:
Bangkok, Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, Phuket

I think I could add a lot more, but unsure about what to add and why? Perhaps you have some suggestions... Ko Samui, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Surat Thani, Kanchanaburi...

Would you suggest me a nice railroad segment for a trip in Thailand? What would be a nice train trip within Thailand? (in terms of scenery, destination, overall experience?)

I will be traveling alone, so I'm not seeking luxury, open to adventure travel as well. But I'd avoid hostels.

#2 4-6-2017 5:09 PM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer
Posts: 71

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

From Bangkok take the train all the way past Kanchanaburi to Nam Tok and continue by bus to the peaceful town of Sangkhlaburi where you can see the wooden Mon Bridge, one of the biggest of its kind, do some hiking. If by chance you don't like it return to Kanchanaburi and spend a couple of days there, and don't forget to make a day trip to Erewan Park where there are a series of waterfalls. At the third waterfall you can go in the pool and the small fish will nibble at your body removing the dead skin.
Be prepared to spend money at Phuket as it is the most expensive place in Thailand. Maybe you should consider the nearby island of Ko Lanta instead, but it depends on what you want.
Nov/Dec is an excellent time to visit for the weather.Ayuttaya is great to explore the ruins by bike and there is a great night market (food) by the river (if it is still there).
Sukhothai is also a lovely town but not much to do after exploring the old city for a day.

#3 4-7-2017 2:44 PM

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

I am fascinated about the bay of Phang Nga... and I am seeking ways to do a day trip to Phuket.

My scope with this trip would be to experience as many sides of Thailand as possible. But I don't like traveling fast, so I would rather stick to 4-5 places max. and visit them thoroughly.

#4 4-8-2017 2:39 AM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1617

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

14 days ain't much but.......the first 3 days in Bangkok and fly to an island or beach. Options...Phuket most costly, Krabi area....cheaper and cool, Samui...not as expensive as Phuket overall but also a tourist magnet. All 3 have airports. Krabi has Phi Phi island close by as does Phuket. After 3-4 days at your chosen place, fly up to Chiang Mai for 3 days. Head down to Ayutthaya by train and spend a day and continue to Bangkok for a couple to do last minute eats and local stuff.

This an example but 14 days is tight. I would choose whatever your heart wants most because Thailand has too much for one short trip. Come again! How about 2-3 days in Bkk, fly to Chiang Mai for a few, and fly to Phuket for a few? Back to BKK and a day trip to Ayutthaya or 2?

Last edited by Sept922 (4-23-2017 4:26 PM)

#5 4-8-2017 4:57 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 500

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

If you had that time 14 days you can cope places you have in mind. Despite the time you are travelling- December is high season- there are frequently ferry service to the islands.

If you plan to go to Phuket from Changmai, is wise to book a flight in adavance by using budget airlines of Airasia or Nok air.

You probably know travelling with public transport in Thailand is very slow, train can be good sometimes if you have plenty of time, such as night train between BKK and Changmai or night bus between BKK and Phuket, so many options if you plan your trip very well

#6 4-8-2017 5:50 AM

Sept922 wrote:

14 day ain't much but.......the first 3 days in Bangkok and fly to an island or beach. Options...Phuket most costly, Krabi area....cheaper and cool, Samui...not as expensive as Phuket overall but also a tourist magnet. All 3 have airports. Krabi has Phi Phi island close by as does Phuket. After 3-4 days at your chosen place, fly up to Chiang Mai for 3 days. Head down to Ayutthaya by train and spend a day and continue to Bangkok for a couple to do last minute eats and local stuff.

This an example but 14 days is tight. I would choose whatever your heart wants most because Thailand has to much for one short trip. Come again! How about 2-3 days in Bkk, fly to Chiang Mai for a few, and fly to Phuket for a few? Back to BKK and a day trip to Ayuttaya or 2?

Recalculating I think I'd have more like 12 days, so I have to use them wisely smile

I am not so much into touristy areas, but aiming first of all for the stunning scenery. And as I see from the photos, Krabi seems a lot more scenic than Phuket.

Why would you spend 3 days in Chiang Mai?

So far I think I have the following destinations (eyeing them):
Bangkok, Ayutthaya (day trip), either Krabi or Phuket (most beautiful scenery will win), Sukhothai (but I think it would eat up 2 days there and back and not very much to see, so not 100 % sure), would love to check out Phang Nga Bay or the Phi Phi Islands.

#7 4-8-2017 6:19 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 227

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

Krabi with Railay Beach has the nicer scenery then Phuket, easy access to Ko Phi Phi and Phangnga Bay, the ruins of Sukhothai are not very different from the ruins of Ayuthaya. For scenery you could fly to Mae Hong Son then by bus to Chiang Mai bus or plane from there.

#8 4-9-2017 2:14 AM

nolan
Posts: 3689

Ranchero wrote:

Why would you spend 3 days in Chiang Mai?

Because Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are a welcome change from the expensive islands and beaches of South Thailand. Just watch out for the tons of Chinese mainlander tourists who descend on Chiang Mai to visit the temple which featured prominently in their biggest blockbuster movie. It can really get congested and tourist when all the tour groups jostle for space at the major attractions.

Here's an article in case you'd like to know why they are regarded as such in Chiang Mai - http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/society/a … e-tourists

#9 4-16-2017 5:32 AM

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

I'm getting closer to deciding upon the destinations that I want to visit:
Krabi and Phi Phi Islands (first of all, because of the fantastic scenery), considering Phang Nga by boat (day trip from Krabi), Bangkok (several days), Ayutthaya, Sukhothai (it looks very scenic, so even if a bit similar to Ayutthaya, I wouldn't like to leave it out).

These are all on my list, but probably I will squeeze a bit more in.

Still, I want to relax, not overwhelm myself with running from place to place...

#10 4-20-2017 8:12 AM

Nankaouthai
satun, Thailand
Couch Potato
Posts: 7

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

Yes its a really nice plane to trip Thailand. I have less idea about railroad. From Langkawi to Phuket you can use farry service, It’s the most the most convenient way. You may contact “Andaman Ferry Service for all your queries.  I am sure you will enjoy the journey.

#11 4-20-2017 10:13 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

you probably get your money worth it more in Phang nga as the accomodation is way cheaper than in Phi Phi Island and it is much more beautiful and peaceful.
There are plenty to explore in Phang Nga, from the temple ruins, caves, and waterfall. The scenery is similar with Phi Phi Island but much more quiter.

I would avoid Phuket as it was too crowded to my liking but each to their own.

Krabi is nice but much more commersial and touristy now.

Btw, I spend almost a month in Chiangmai it self at one time. it is depend what would you like to do. If you are press of time, 3 days would do.

Have fun in Thailand.

#12 4-21-2017 4:50 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 97

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

As has been stated  above, time really is not your friend here and maximising your time really is required so it all depends on what specifically you want to go.  I am more into mountains and forests etc. and so I generally head North rather than South from BKK although I have gone that way as well.

It appears you like train travel and the overnighter to Chiang Mai from BKK is a good option as it saves the expense of a hotel bed  and can be a hugely fun experience.  I call it the "backpacker" express as there are usually plenty but also any Thai as well.  At that time of year, book as far ahead as you can as it gets pretty crowded.  There is not much to see for most of the journey as it is dark but if you rise early in the morning you get some lovely views.  Chiang Mai really is worth seeing, it is beautiful and I also like Chiang Rai.  As a much less visited option I absolutely adore Lampang which is on the overnight train route to Chiang Mai.  It is definitely not on the tourist trail.

I did have fully written reviews of all these options before the reviled TripAdvisor murdered the Virtual Tourist website which I had contributed to for 12 years and destroyed all my very hard work.

If you want to go South, I like Cha-am frpm where you can visit the nearby more touristy Hua Hin, and Prachuap Khirikhan which again is not overly touristed although Thais visit here a lot.

These are just a few random suggestions but I hope they give you some more options to look at.

#13 4-22-2017 11:52 PM

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

Any recommendations on a cruise from Krabi to Phang Nga?

Would it be enough to just take a day trip from Krabi to Phang Nga?

I totally cut Phuket out of my list.
But, I would like to visit both Ayutthaya and Sukhothai. The latter has nice Buddha statues and is less popular, so I don't want to leave it out!
Must spend at least 5 full days in Bangkok as well. It's a big city, I reckon, many things to experience.

#14 4-23-2017 3:39 AM

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

I do not know about cruise from Krabi to Phang Nga, you can check from there if you can't google it before you depart.

I think it would not be enough time for a day trip from Krabi to Phang Nga as it is quite far.
But I dont know.

Alternatively you can fly to Phuket from Bangkok with budget airlines such as Air Asia or Lion Air, and from airport you can go directly to Phang Nga and stay overnight there.
The next day you can explore the many islands and waterfall, or you can go to Ao Nang as well. Ao Nang is very small and not much happening in the area.  Another day trip from Phang Nga is Riley Island, it is really very small island, even smaller than Ao Nang but beatiful view for swimming.

Anyway, there are plenty of cheap tour to go to Ayutthaya and Sukhotai from Bangkok.  Once you arrive in Bangkok, visit one of the travel agent there and enquires it, it is very easy. It is probably best option to maximise your time.

#15 4-23-2017 4:44 PM

Sept922
Posts: 1617

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

5 days in bangkok is leaving out something. 3-4 will be fine. You will never get all of your Thailand experience in with just 12 days. Just start planning your return. Don't be one of those, "but I want to go somewhere different" people, just because. Especially if you like a place and haven't seen or done much. I have spent a total of probably a few months in Thailand if not more and miss it all the time. But you may not like it as much. If you do, return. Maybe bring a friend. I would take out a day somewhere. Ayu/Suko both? You won't have much time to relax at any place in the south as you will just be passing through. I am not sure if that is what you want. There are many tour agencies but you need to hit the reviews to see if they were good.

http://krabitrek.com/tours/tour_krabi_j … island.php

why not just chill here and relaX?
https://www.google.com/search?q=phra+na … FBH-lTvYM:

I do admit it gets crowded from about noon to 4. That is Phra Nang beach in Krabi.

Last edited by Sept922 (4-24-2017 10:01 PM)

#16 4-24-2017 12:05 AM

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

Seem the link sent by Sept22 is similar with the tour I did when I was in Phang Nga. the different is the 3 of us chartered the long tail boat directly from the hotel we were staying in Phang Nga, and we see all the sights and more.

#17 4-28-2017 1:25 PM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 578

Good plan. If you have time  you can visit Krabi & Koh Samui

#18 4-29-2017 4:15 AM

markdd
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 774

I'd hit Phi Phi for sure

No matter what you do or where you go, you'll be back again later to see more. Nobody can go to Thailand only once. It's an addicting place.

9 years into constant 3x yearly trips myeslf and I'm not done yet

#19 4-30-2017 11:21 PM

markdd wrote:

I'd hit Phi Phi for sure

9 years into constant 3x yearly trips myeslf and I'm not done yet

What attracts you back? What is it that you find so fascinating about Thailand?

Yes, I know Thailand is fascinating, but what makes you go there so often.

Last edited by Ranchero (4-30-2017 11:22 PM)

#20 5-2-2017 12:23 PM

Jen1107
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato
Posts: 42

Re: Thailand 2 week trip

In November, I took a day trip from Ao Nang (Krabi) to Phang Nga Bay. I don't know the company as my hotel booked it for me. It's definitely doable. The best part was kayaking through a cave. We didn't have great weather that day and it was still incredibly beautiful.

Board footer