#26 4-16-2017 11:09 PM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 140

nolan wrote:

gingerbatik wrote:

ulis wrote:

You might not be able to book local airlines online, apparently only with Indonesian credit cards, I use nusatrip.com to get around this problem (other sites are also possible). Pelni (pelni.co.id,  no booking even finding the time table is not easy) the biggest shipping company has boats every 14 days Benoa (Bali) to Labuhanbajo, but Lion air might be cheaper. Using regular ferries involves long bus rides, integrated tickets until Bima are possible. Rail from Yogyakarta until the ferry to Bali is alright but slow.

Previously I booked Garuda and Lion air tickets online from Copenhagen Denmark with a foreign credit card and I do not have any problem with it.

I've booked with Indonesia AirAsia and Sriwijaya with a foreign issued credit card and I didn't have any problems as well.

Citilink website also blocks the use foreign credit card during some transactions.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  But in these cases, you can go to any local travel agent and pay directly to them at no mark-up from the price you'd see on the internet.

Chris,
I don't know how tall you are, but every time I fly local domestic flights in Indonesia on AirAsia or Lion Air, I usually have to see a chiropractor when I'm done to get my knees functional again.  Domestic flights are cheap in Indonesia, so in my humble opinion, I'd spend the extra dollar or two to avoid those carriers and maybe go with Citilink or Sriwijaya for both their safety track record as well as leg room.

Case in point, the last three times I've flown Citilink, the cabin crew moved me (without my request) to sit in the exit row since I was the tallest man on the flight.  The other carriers are not commonly so cognizant of those factors.

#27 4-17-2017 12:42 AM

bhush2006
Bhushan
Pune, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 467

Re: Indonesia

I agree with Hali. Kanawa island and Komodo islands are not to be missed. Though I am not a swimmer, I really enjoyed a sea of corals by just walking in knee deep water..

halilee wrote:

I would definitely choose Komodo islands.. for one, you get to see the dragons.. and 2, it is easily the best snorkelling I have seen to date ( you don't need to dive to enjoy it!). I snorkelled with manta rays, dolphins, eels, snakes, lion fish, stone fish, massive squid,  tons of coral, etc. We stayed on Kanawa island which was absolutely brilliant. You can see my pics from Komodo islands here: http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/1 … e-group-25 , though you can also check my entire Indonesia blog as well if you wish.

Enjoy! Indonesia is one of my favorite countries (  mostly thanks to Komodo islands and West Sumatra! )

#28 4-17-2017 7:42 PM

mmeymey
maya
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 120

Re: Indonesia

use tiket.com or traveloka for booking air ticket, it's often cheaper than airlines website.

#29 4-17-2017 8:45 PM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 111

Re: Indonesia

Thank you to all who have replied. I have read each reply and will benefit from your advice. Right now it's looking like 3 days/3 nights Yogyakarta, 4 days/4 nights Labuan Bajo with excursions to Rinca, Komodo, and Kanawa, and 4 days/4 nights Bali. I've booked some pool villas for pretty cheap on airbnb and booking.com for Jogya and Bali. Labuan, I'll figure out when I get there. Looking forward to this trip, there will certainly be a blog upon return.

#30 4-18-2017 6:22 AM

Bhushan
Pune, India
Posts: 467

Enjoy your trip.
A small suggestion. You can think of staying at KANAWA island (http://kanawaislandresort.com/) instead of Labuan Bajo. Kanawa island is about half way the distance from Labuan Bajo to Komodo so you save on travelling time each day for going to KOMODO/RINCA Plus you can stay in a beautiful island rather than staying in a town of Labuan Bajo.

TravelingChris wrote:

#32 4-20-2017 7:42 AM

nikolas33
Usa, Japan
Couch Potato
Posts: 6

Re: Indonesia

Indonesia is mysterious country... I want to visit it one day

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer