#1 3-24-2017 5:27 AM

Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I

Indonesia

I've never been to Indonesia before, but I'm planning a 2 week trip. I'm thinking 3 days Kuta, 3 days Ubud, 3 days Gili Trawagan, and 3 days Yogyakarta. I know that's rushed, but due to work I can't get more than two weeks off so I have to make the best of my time. For those who have been there, what are my can't miss spots in that itinerary?

#2 3-24-2017 7:18 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Indonesia

what would you like to do Chris? Personally I do not like Ubud, but many people love it there.
Not much to do in Kuta area except swimming or shopping.  You can stay overnight in Kuta or Sanur as a base to explore other area in Bali such as Kintamani, Bedugul, and other temples nearby as accommodation tend to be cheaper around Kuta.
Alternatively you can stay in Nusa dua (if you prefer relaxing) as it has nicer beach and many beautiful hotels.

Many people like seminyak area, but I prefer Kuta as it is more lively and down to earth and it has a different feel with the new modern seminyak.

Have you think to visit the Komodo Island? I never been there and think to go there this June-July.

Yogyakarta is nice and 3 days is the right time to get the feel and see the sights if you have limited time.

#3 3-24-2017 9:22 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5879

Re: Indonesia

I travelled to Indonesia for part of my honeymoon. I traveled to Mount Bromo and Mount Ijen, which at the time had only just re opened to tourists following an eruption, staying in a strawberry farm at one point. That was well worth doing. And we went to the Gili Islands for some beach time and my first dive. The Gilis are easily accessible from Bali- the volcanoes are a bit more of a journey  from Surabaya on Java.

#4 3-24-2017 11:04 AM

Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Indonesia

It is sound a rushed itinerary indeed, I went to Indonesia twice, three week each time, I spent more time in Java and Sumatra, full with cultural and nature things to see

Kuta - choice for those who love sun, sea and sand
Ubud- is quieter and love the green environment. You can even go cycle tour around the rice fields and villages. Bali is also excellent to view some natures.....if you are fit enough to do some climbing, there are several beautiful volcanoes

The Gili islands are very popular for snorkeling and diving. Gili Trawangan is the crowdest island full with backpackers. Gili Meno is much more quieter

In Yogya, you probably know already the massive  Borobudur and Prambanan temple complex which are the highlights in Yogya, this reminds me of Angkor Wat in Siem Reap Cambodia........while in Yogya don't forget the  Kraton, the center of the Javanese kingdom, if you walk a bit further you'll find the Water Castle, I guess you'll find your way around, as these are common sights in Yogya

While you are in Yogyakarta, I also recommend Dieng Plateau, there are daily tours to Brommo and Dieng Plateau, this is something not to miss in Yogya.......Jalan Malioboro- where Yogya historic buildings and get to know the locals daily life......If you really want to see the real Yogyakarta, 3 days is not enough, but if that's only time you have make the most of it

Last edited by shavy (3-24-2017 3:06 PM)

#5 3-24-2017 2:39 PM

Re: Indonesia

Yunni, I like cultural things, museums, history, food, nature. Komodo is definitely a consideration, but I am short on time so I don't know if I can fit it in on this trip.

Sarah, yes, Mt. Bromo is on my list! That looks like a great spot to catch a sunrise.

Belinda, thanks for the tip on Gili Meno, I'll research that. And yes, Borobudur and Prambanan are definitely on my itinerary.

#6 3-24-2017 11:52 PM

Re: Indonesia

I hope you will enjoy Balinese culture and history as it is very different but not much museums there. You can join tour or hire a car to explore the many beautiful temples and other sights. the palace Tampak siring also beautiful. If you dont like monkey, you can skip sangeh monkey forest as the monkey are really bad and attacking people also taking things.

If you only have 3 days to yogyakarta and Mt Bromo, it is very short time (probably not enough time), as Mt Bromo is a very long drive either from Surabaya or Malang, and the road is not that nice and quite small.  The hotel up at the Mt Bromo is nice - I think it is called Mt Bromo hotel but I dont remember as it was ages since I was there (I been there several times),  from the hotel you take a horse to the mountain and then you walk up the step.

dont forget the Keraton Yogyakarata (Palace) if you are in Yogya, it is beautiful old palace made from wood and many interesting sights nearby.

Like shavy said, Gili is very touristy. I love Bali and I lost count how many times I been there as it is very different, very traditional culture on the other hand and very open and modern world on the other.

I just remember there is one island where there is many huge turtle settle in, unfortunately I do no remember the name of the island. you need a speedboat to cross the island and it was quite expensive cost RP1 million return. I was there either in 2013 or 2014 (i do not remember exactly - I supposed the price would be similar now), and before crossing to the island, there is a turtle santuary which is free of charge and plenty of small and baby turtles.

Have fun there and the food is really good. abundant seafood in Bali and traditional food in Yogya called Gudeg

Last edited by gingerbatik (3-26-2017 2:00 PM)

#7 3-27-2017 3:16 AM

Re: Indonesia

Does anyone think it would it be better to skip Gili and go to Komodo? I like to snorkel, but I'm not certified for SCUBA diving (which is what I hear Gili is known for). It would be great to see Komodo dragons, but other than that what is on that island?

#8 3-27-2017 3:41 AM

Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Indonesia

You can't stay in Komodo as far as i know, it would be Labuhanbajo or islands nearby.
For snorkeling Padangbai in eastern Bali is not bad, the blue lagoon is a short walk, no boat necessary. Gili Trawagan is more known for party and smoke, have been there long time ago, snorkeling was then good, but I heard that the corals are now damaged.

#9 3-27-2017 4:52 AM

TravelingChris wrote:

I say yes, better skip Gili and go to Komodo island (but I havent been to the Komodo island), however many of my friends been there and they said it was amazing. Labuan bajo is where the flight arrived from Bali and the beach is much more pristine than Gili according to them. and the local hut is interesting ( I see the photos from my friends).  if you decided to go there, please book your flight to Labuan bajo earlier to get a better price, especially it will be high season in Indonesia (called Lebaran, where muslim celebrate their new year).

When are you planning to go there Chris?
we are planning to go there around the 24 June  or later (I am waiting for my fixed date of the school test), and will spend around one month.  We will go to all the spots you  mentions and more.

#10 3-27-2017 5:04 AM

gingerbatik wrote:

TravelingChris wrote:

When are you planning to go there Chris?

Thanks very much, Yunni. I am planning May 14-27 for Indonesia. It takes about 19 hours from Hawaii on Philippine Air connecting in Manila. There are also some United flights connecting in Seoul Incheon but they take like 2.5 days! Could use Chase points on that but time is too long... I'm stuck with Philippine Air, which is an Airbus A320, not even worth the upgrade, A320s for long hauls have weak business class. I will definitely research  Labuan Bajo as an alternative to Gili Trawangan.

#11 3-27-2017 5:18 AM

ulis wrote:

Oh, thanks for the heads up on that. I will look into Labuhan Bajo. It's a shame when the coral gets damaged. I've witnessed that here in Hawaii in Hanauma Bay... just too many people, it takes a toll.

#12 3-27-2017 9:33 AM

Hi Chris,

I been to both islands - my preference for snorkeling is also Komodo.................don't get me wrong Gili is also a good place for snorkeling if you don't want to travel everyday by boat for snorkeling, and Gili is much cheaper than Komodo

Komodo is also very popular for divers

The best spot for snorkeling is in Komodo national park, you need to join a tour or hire a boat. Is a bit expensive in Komodo like - accommodations, food and drinks. We flown to Labuan Bajo and book a 2 days tour to Komodo (Snorkeling and meals included)

For flights - there are frequency air service from Denpasar to Labuan, we flown with budget airlines Sriwijaya Air which had include a 20kg baggage in ticket price, cheaper than Garuda.

The link below is a website I used for searching  domestics flight

Last edited by shavy (3-27-2017 9:34 AM)

#13 3-27-2017 6:19 PM

TravelingChris wrote:

Chris - definitely include Mt. Bromo! I was there last August and it was an amazing experience - you view sunrise from Mt. Penanjakan about 4AM, so that means starting after midnight whether your jump off point is Malang or Probolinggo. I chose to base myself in Malang as it was less touristy than Probolinggo, not to mention the elevation made Malang a bit cooler than the lowlands. The locals also call Malang "Paris of East Java" because of the mild climate.

While I did my trip (including Yogyakarta) in 7 days, by virtue of adding Bali and the nearby islands to your itinerary that means it will be tight. I don't know which you prefer to do first - the strenuous part (climbing Bromo) or the relaxation part (Bali). My recommendation would be to start in Yogyakarta, explore Borobudur and Prambanan, then head by train or fly to Malang. From Malang get a 3D2N tour that will include Bromo and Mt. Ijen, and end up in Banyuwangi which is the port that serves as your jumpoff to Bali Island. Then explore Bali and the nearby area for a whole week before flying out. More flights service DPS airport than YOG so there will be more options for your return.

#14 3-28-2017 2:54 AM

shavy wrote:

Hi Chris,

Komodo is also very popular for divers

The link below is a website I used for searching  domestics flight

Good tips, thanks Belinda!

#15 3-28-2017 3:01 AM

nolan wrote:

Nolan, a friend of mine told me the same thing, to start in Yogyakarta first. And yes, DPS will be my best bet for the international flights in and out of country. I've gotta do some research on domestic air (Lion Air and Garuda seem to be the local carriers), and maybe also the rail and ferry system. I enjoy the research leading up to my trips though, it's kind of all part of the fun. I usually take a folder with me every time with a master itinerary and every bit of info printed out. I'm kind of OCD like that!

#16 3-28-2017 4:39 AM

Re: Indonesia

You might not be able to book local airlines online, apparently only with Indonesian credit cards, I use nusatrip.com to get around this problem (other sites are also possible). Pelni (pelni.co.id,  no booking even finding the time table is not easy) the biggest shipping company has boats every 14 days Benoa (Bali) to Labuhanbajo, but Lion air might be cheaper. Using regular ferries involves long bus rides, integrated tickets until Bima are possible. Rail from Yogyakarta until the ferry to Bali is alright but slow.

#17 3-28-2017 5:07 AM

ulis wrote:

Previously I booked Garuda and Lion air tickets online from Copenhagen Denmark with a foreign credit card and I do not have any problem with it.

#18 3-28-2017 6:51 PM

Re: Indonesia

It was not possible with  a Austrian credit card (neither BawagPSK nor BankAustria Master card) in January this year with  Lion and Garuda also not in the last 3 years. But it was possible 9 years ago.

#19 3-28-2017 7:15 PM

nolan wrote:

Indonesia has lots of low cost carriers - AirAsia has an Indonesia operation. Also I tried Sriwijaya Air - not bad, plus they usually are cheaper than most!

Your best bets into Yogyakarta internationally are via Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Aside from the national airlines, AirAsia flies from both cities. Of course, Garuda and Lion Air (mostly connect in CGK) would give normally have the most options.

The train goes all the way from Jakarta to Surabaya and on to Banyuwangi, so I would choose that option over the bus. I prefer trains in most circumstances as they usually stop in the center of the town or city, unlike intercity buses which usually have terminals on the outskirts.

#20 3-28-2017 7:17 PM

gingerbatik wrote:

ulis wrote:

I've booked with Indonesia AirAsia and Sriwijaya with a foreign issued credit card and I didn't have any problems as well.

#21 3-28-2017 11:04 PM

Re: Indonesia

With Airasia is never a problem, I book dozen of times before flying to Asia. But with budget airlines of Indonesia I have to try a couple times before it work. Garuda is not a budget airline, I flown with it to Jakarta, booking a ticket online with Garuda it goes pretty well such as any other international airlines

#22 3-29-2017 12:58 AM

nolan wrote:

Agreed with Nolan on this.  I done both with private car and driver from Jakarta to Bali with many stops along the way, and also by train.  I find the train is much more relaxing way but it takes a very long time, even with the many overnight stops along the way.

#23 3-29-2017 5:20 AM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 168

Re: Indonesia

Bali was my very first overseas trip (not including my immigration to Australia). I spent 10 days there in 1994. I visited some volcano, took a secret trip to a hidden cock fight, did the touristy things around Bali including some water park where I was practically the only one there (it was November). I got "Bali Belly" for a couple of days. To be honest, I didn't think much of the whole place and would never go back there. That's just me.

#24 4-1-2017 6:45 PM

halilee
Hali
Regina, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 799

Re: Indonesia

I would definitely choose Komodo islands.. for one, you get to see the dragons.. and 2, it is easily the best snorkelling I have seen to date ( you don't need to dive to enjoy it!). I snorkelled with manta rays, dolphins, eels, snakes, lion fish, stone fish, massive squid,  tons of coral, etc. We stayed on Kanawa island which was absolutely brilliant. You can see my pics from Komodo islands here: http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/1 … e-group-25 , though you can also check my entire Indonesia blog as well if you wish.

Enjoy! Indonesia is one of my favorite countries (  mostly thanks to Komodo islands and West Sumatra! )

#25 4-14-2017 5:57 AM

gemmapurcell
Gemma
Couch Potato
Posts: 39

Re: Indonesia

I travelled to the beautiful country of Indonesia for the spring - 20 day trip. It was absolutely one of the most incredible trips of my entire life. Not a day goes by where there isn't a reminder of my experiences. Myself and 3 of my friends made the decision to book through Free & Easy after doing a bit of research of the many travel companies, and if I can make any recommendations I would say look no further. Free & Easy takes you to the best sights and scenes, and the trip encompass much more than expected.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer