#26 3-27-2017 7:08 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Southern Fantasy

fransglobal wrote:

Yes, but in Portugal, a lot of people speak English. In Brazil, not necessarily the case. They may understand Spanish but will probably reply in Portuguese.

That may be true now, but it wasn't true a long time ago when I visited (1964).  Probably the situation in Portugal THEN is more or less the same as in Brazil NOW.  (Although I would think that after the Olympics there would be more multi-language speakers.)

#27 3-27-2017 8:01 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

grandmar wrote:

That may be true now, but it wasn't true a long time ago when I visited (1964).  Probably the situation in Portugal THEN is more or less the same as in Brazil NOW.  (Although I would think that after the Olympics there would be more multi-language speakers.)

Until now English isn't widely spoken in Portugal

I have traveled in Porugal and Brazil........in Portugal English is more or less spoken especially in big cities, how futher you go to rural places, people don't speak English

Brazil is just the same, in Rio a lot of people speaks English,  outside Rio de Janeiro NADA Ingles

Last year while we were in Atacama Chile, a Brazilian guy stayed in the same hostel with us, he can't speak English only Portuguese, and we only speak Spanish, the Brazilian understand us very well, some words in Portuguese sounds like Spanish

Last edited by shavy (3-27-2017 8:02 AM)

#28 3-27-2017 9:52 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

shavy wrote:

.....Brazil is just the same, in Rio a lot of people speaks English,  outside Rio de Janeiro NADA Ingles......Last year while we were in Atacama Chile, a Brazilian guy stayed in the same hostel with us, he can't speak English only Portuguese, and we only speak Spanish, the Brazilian understand us very well, some words in Portuguese sounds like Spanish

I would have thought so too.

#29 3-28-2017 2:52 AM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

shavy wrote:

Brazil is just the same, in Rio a lot of people speaks English,  outside Rio de Janeiro NADA Ingles

Last year while we were in Atacama Chile, a Brazilian guy stayed in the same hostel with us, he can't speak English only Portuguese, and we only speak Spanish, the Brazilian understand us very well, some words in Portuguese sounds like Spanish

My experience in Brazil was somewhat similar. I speak OK Spanish but no Portuguese. Since they're similar, I could get along reading menus at restaurants and signs and things... but when I tried to communicate with people in Spanish it was hit or miss as to whether the locals understood me. In the US we generally learn Spanish in school obviously because mostly everybody south of us speaks it. When it comes to Brazil though, knowing Spanish can be helpful but doesn't always work in every situation.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer