#1 3-15-2017 11:29 AM

Posts: 3

Should I plan my move to Aus independently, or go with STA Travel?

Hey

I'm planning to move to Australia in September of this year, and my question is: Is it a better idea to plan this trip entirely independently, or give all the responsibility to a company such as STA Travel who plan nearly everything for you? I think all the legalities and stuff would be so stressful to plan alone.

I'm a fairly independent person, however something like travelling to Australia is such a massive thing, I've never planned anything remotely like it! I'm 19 years old and live with my parents. I've done a lot of research on how to pursue something like this and seen a few things that say STA Travel is a waste of time and money.

So, has anyone ever moved countries and sorted out all the legal stuff independently before? If so please share your experience. On the other hand if you've had experience with travel companies who plan it for you, how was it??

Thanks!

#2 3-15-2017 12:18 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 959

Re: Should I plan my move to Aus independently, or go with STA Travel?

I don't think you just can move to Australia .......everyone who is going into the country needs a visa, you are 19 yrs old you have the possibility to get a working holiday visa for one year and can extend to another year if you want too

I did not hear STA travels

My daughter went to Australia with working holiday visa for one year (apply online)......working for 85 days on the farm to get one year visa extension........NOW, her second year visa expires in May, she don't want to come home she likes  Australian way of life - less stressful she said............to be able to stay longer in Australia she is enrolled to study, but studying in Australia is not cheap- cost us a fortune she's very lucky to have our support

#3 3-15-2017 12:36 PM

shavy wrote:

I did not hear STA travels

Yes, I'm planning to get a working holiday visa - sorry, I forgot to include that in my original post. I am aware about needing to complete 85 days farm work etc.

#4 3-15-2017 1:22 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 959

Re: Should I plan my move to Aus independently, or go with STA Travel?

There is no need to use travel agency. It is cheaper to do it by yourself, just fill up the form online and when is done just wait for email, can take 3 weeks to one month .

When your visa approved, you can start booking your flight. You must have a sufficient funds in your bank for amount of 5000$ aud, you need to bring a banks statement for the immigration when arriving at the airport

Last edited by shavy (3-15-2017 1:33 PM)

#5 3-16-2017 1:53 AM

shavy wrote:

Thankyou, Shavy smile

#6 3-16-2017 4:02 AM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 188

Re: Should I plan my move to Aus independently, or go with STA Travel?

There's been a lot of talk about the working visas here in Australia. You might want to get the latest information on them. Good luck.

#7 3-19-2017 4:15 PM

Holeydel
Manchester, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 877

Re: Should I plan my move to Aus independently, or go with STA Travel?

Nah, you don't need STA - save yourself the cash instead. I'm gonna assume you're in the UK: you can open an Aussie bank account in London, otherwise just open one when you're there. The national insurance number (their equivalent) you can organise now as long as you have somewhere to post it to, otherwise just get it sorted when you're there. Everything else, sort it when you're there. The moment you walk into a hostel you'll meet a bunch of people who are in the same boat, which is usually STA's selling point for these sort of deals.

Forget 85 days of farm work for a 2nd year WHV - this is a myth that lazy people listen to cos they can't be bothered to do any research. Here's a quick link of some of the things you can do, all close to city centre's. Some people move to the sticks and do unpaid farm work for 3 months - I lived in Melbs city centre and got paid a shed load of cash building houses for my 2nd WHV.

Last edited by Holeydel (3-19-2017 4:16 PM)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer