#26 3-28-2017 3:42 PM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 9803

vulindlela wrote:

We have used Airbnb 5 times so far and all have been wonderful!
All 5 were better than expected.   We made new friends at each one.
We have 2 more coming up soon, and we are very excited to see them.

I suggest paying close attention to the reviews.  If they are good, then you should be fine.

We are just back from Croatia, where we had another positive experience with Airbnb.

#27 4-1-2017 6:49 PM

halilee
Hali
Regina, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 800

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I've used airbnb probably around 15-20 times now.. have never had a bad experience. Sometimes the place is better than expected, but rarely worse. I find it's most suitable if I'm travelling with a small group of friends or am staying for a longer period of time so I can have my own kitchen. I usually will book the whole apartment suite or house.. though I have also stayed in a room , which was also a positive experience. I would definitely recommend airbnb. Just do your homework and pay attention to the reviews.

#28 4-30-2017 9:30 AM

tabithablee
Tabitha
Little Rock, Arkansas
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 6

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I agree with the buddies that suggest paying attention to the reviews. I've had nothing but positive experiences with AirBNB. I luckily have not had any reservations cancelled either. I look for the quality of communication before booking to gauge the responsiveness of the owner during the stay. I've stayed in Oakland California, NYC several times, Cape Town South Africa, and Paris. Planning to book AirBNB for my Cuba trip. If you have a Delta airlines credit card, they have a special promotions for enhanced points. Happy travels!!

#29 5-3-2017 6:21 AM

tadcaster2014
San Francisco, California
Posts: 8

Re: Experience with Airbnb

Me personally... I've had a great experience using AirBnB. I've been both host and guest. However, I have heard some bad experience. I guess its down to luck.

#30 5-3-2017 9:01 AM

sombra63
Corinne
Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 2

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I have used airbnb a few times, twice with my two teenage boys, in Paris and Rome, once with a friend in Poland and just last weekend I stayed in someone's house in Cambridge, England by myself.  all were as good, if not better, than I expected.  Would use them anytime I go away.

#31 5-4-2017 1:20 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer
Posts: 1646

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I am on at least my 8th time using Airbnb. So far good. I am writing this from a room in Milano. Great host, one block from train, great area.

#32 5-5-2017 5:52 AM

santos01
Posts: 16

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I've used Airbnb countless times. It's great. As long as you vet the people as best you can. The only thing I do have a bit of a guilty conscious about is the effect Airbnb has in some cities on the rental situation and real estate market.

#33 5-5-2017 10:35 AM

Sept922
Explorer
Posts: 1646

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I feel you on that Santos01! but once the idea was floated, people have the right to rent out a room in their home as long as they follow certain safety rules. T
there isn't always a hotel and in regular non tourist places there is nothing. I too am torn. But I also watched my old neighborhood get gentrified and everyone priced out. It wasn't AIRBNB but real estate folks who knew they could get local taxes raised on property and price the locals out.

#34 5-8-2017 7:55 AM

ceejmo
Posts: 10

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I've done Air bnb about 7 times now and will be doing four more this summer. So far they have been all positive results and I have no reason to not have faith in these ones. I know a lot of people don't want them in their back yard and I can understand because not all Air bnb tenants are as good as me wink  but until it's shut down or my experience turns very sour I will be using them. As a solo traveler is it great because they don't have any kind of single supplement.

My best advice though is to READ REVIEWS!! Yes there are probably have some who just hire friends or something to review but I haven't encountered. I also got a vibe from one or two that made me decide not to go. One guy I asked if it was smoking or non-smoking property. I didn't specify it was because I'm allergic and need a non-smoking facility but he got pretty rude "No, I don't allow any smoking in my house or garden, London is a big city and you can find a lot of other places to smoke, you don't need to smoke here." Fine, dude, there are plenty of others to stay with in this big city. LOL

If climbing is an issue - it's a good idea to find out what floor you'll be on. I've been as high as 7th floor of a walk-up...try that with two suitcases!

#35 7-8-2017 4:12 AM

HORSCHECK
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 116

Re: Experience with Airbnb

So far I have used AirBnB five times: England, Belgium, Germany and Slovenia. All in all I was quite happy with my experiences, especially as twice I even had a whole flat/house almost to myself.

There are just a few things I would like to mention:

(1)
I was surprised that lately I could even book some AirBnB places with the possibility of full cancellation until the first day of my stay. It even included a full refund of my whole money including service charges. As another TB has written somewhere in this thread, in the past the AirBnB service charges could never be refunded.

(2)
If you try to book a place on very short notice it only makes sense to apply at one accommodation. If the owner refuses the booking you have to apply at another place. If you directly apply at different places and all owners confirm your booking you will have the problem of cancelling some places.

#36 8-26-2017 10:45 AM

ahouseofsparrows
Dallas, Texas
Posts: 7

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I have used Airbnb for years and for almost all of our vacations in the U.S. and in Europe and have never had a problem.

#37 8-27-2017 8:13 PM

Travelnik
Posts: 8

Re: Experience with Airbnb

So far, positive experiences with Airbnb. Hosts usually take extra care because they can get banned easily.

#38 9-3-2017 6:57 PM

glenbobboy
Posts: 2

Re: Experience with Airbnb

We used Airbnb once on a trip to Vancouver and could not have been more pleased.  Great price, fantastic location and wonderful hosts.  We shared their apartment!

Board footer