#1 3-6-2017 12:43 AM

Hong
Hanoi, Vietnam
Posts: 50

Experience with Airbnb

I recently booked an apartment though Airbnb for our Singapore trip in middle of June this year. And I then met someone from TB last week, who also booked a room though Airbnb  in Hanoi. He complained that the room and facility were not like the description on web. That makes me kind of nervous: what if the booked apartment are different? what if we meet a bad owner?

Do you have any experience with those problems? what should I do if things like that happen? what are the support that we might get from Airbnb?

Last edited by rosett76 (3-6-2017 12:44 AM)

#2 3-6-2017 1:46 AM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 9803

Re: Experience with Airbnb

We have used Airbnb 5 times so far and all have been wonderful!
All 5 were better than expected.   We made new friends at each one.
We have 2 more coming up soon, and we are very excited to see them.

I suggest paying close attention to the reviews.  If they are good, then you should be fine.

#3 3-6-2017 2:21 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 116

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I'm an Airbnb Superhost. The site is very trustworthy, at least in the U.S., for both hosts and guests.

In a nutshell: check the references. Don't book a place if it has a bad reference (or, if you're extra cautious, no references at all). You can also filter the search results to show only Superhosts.

Last edited by CMTinPHX (3-6-2017 2:22 AM)

#4 3-6-2017 2:54 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 827

Re: Experience with Airbnb

Airbnb is good it depends which country you are staying. We use airbnb in Iceland, it was fine we have super friendly owners. I have no experience with airbnb in Asia, we used hotels or hostels, accommodation in Asia is less expensive than in Europe

When booking airbnb check the reviews you always find reviews at Tripadvisor

#5 3-6-2017 4:08 AM

sanfoodie
Sanjeev
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 51

vulindlela wrote:

We have used Airbnb 5 times so far and all have been wonderful!
All 5 were better than expected.   We made new friends at each one.
We have 2 more coming up soon, and we are very excited to see them.

I agree with most of the TBs especially vulindlela that we need to check all the references before booking. The best is you can always message the facility provider and clear your issues. Airbnb do offer a service where if you have any issues with the owner they resolve them and even refund your money of course after deducting their service charges. I have stayed twice in asia itself and experience was excellent. Currently I am looking at some properties in Prague for my upcoming visit in the month of May.

#6 3-6-2017 4:49 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3287

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I have had about 60 airbnb stays in the US, Europe, and South America.  Only one was unsuitable, and my money was refunded.

As stated above, reviews are key as are photos.  I always contact the owner before booking with any questions I might have, even if the instant book option is available.

#7 3-6-2017 6:01 AM

cynthiasmiller
Cindy
Seattle, Washington
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 147

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I've had only positive experiences with AirBnB.  I've rented places in Istanbul, Budapest, Vienna, and Seattle and it came as no surprise that each AirBnB place was reflective of the state of the city itself.  I think with Singapore, you'll probably be in safe hands, the standards are pretty high there.  And if it's not up to your standards, then state that in your review.  It'll help future guests determine if it's the right place for them.

#8 3-6-2017 7:30 AM

denisx
Douglas
Bedford, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 368

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I've done 3 of them. The oddest thing was actually being in the home of someone you've never met and don 't know at all. I made friends with 2 of them though. Should be fine

#9 3-6-2017 6:26 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1073

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I've never tried any. But in general I think Spore is a decent place therefore, even if the place didn't turn out quite as expected, it sure won't be too bad.

#10 3-7-2017 6:37 AM

stefaniegreen
Stefanie
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 65

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I never liked the idea of staying in someone else's house while on vacation. Did it in the past and never liked it I would rather just stay in a hotel anyway since that's all I need is a place to sleep and shower.

#11 3-7-2017 11:54 AM

AdamR3723
Adam
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 55

Re: Experience with Airbnb

Limited experience: 3 AirBnBs - two WERE Excellent, one was terrible (despite 14 great reviews on its AirBnB page)

I am willing ti try AirBnB again.

#12 3-7-2017 12:22 PM

DAO
Wakefield, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 47

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I have to deal with Airbnb customers almost daily with my business. Long story, but I service 2 apartment buildings. 100% of the Airbnb activity is forbidden in both buildings. Anyway, there are 2 examples of Airbnb that stand out. Both apartments are booked all the time. One is done professionally and they always get good reviews. One is a criminal con at worst and just horrible at best. It always gets bad reviews!

So read the reviews if you are going to do this!

Still shocked when they ask me where the free parking is. What parking?

#13 3-7-2017 1:33 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17593

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I've used it over ten times. All good, sometimes great, experiences. In every case, the place was pretty much as described and as in photos.

I will use it again next week.

My problems with airbnb are:

- airbnb takes my money when I book, even if months in advance of arrival. It does not give to the owner until I arrive. Usually, if I book a hotel, I pay when I arrive or probably more often when I leave.  Cancellation policies tend to be much stricter on airbnb. While the price of accommodation may be refunded in case of cancellation, airbnb charges a not unsubstantial service fee which they do not refund.

- you have to arrange an arrival time with your airbnb host. With a hotel, you can usually arrive whenever you want. Or whenever you can, eg very late at night, if for example your flight is delayed.

- places can be more difficult to find. With a hotel, there is big sign saying hotel and often local people will know where it is, if you ask them. It can be harder to find an ordinary apartment jn a street full of similar apartments...

- you have to book in advance. With a hotel, you can just walk in and see if they have rooms available. I often do that.

#14 3-7-2017 7:12 PM

trippin_jen
Posts: 1073

AdamR3723 wrote:

I am willing ti try AirBnB again.

Just curious, terrible in what way?

#15 3-8-2017 4:58 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3287

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I rarely book airbnb stays more than a week in advance, and since the money is charged to a CC I'm not really paying it at that point anyway.

It pays to be aware of the cancellation policy.  I will always choose Flexible if there's an option.

#16 3-8-2017 6:48 AM

AdamR3723
Adam
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 55

trippin_jen wrote:

AdamR3723 wrote:

I am willing to try AirBnB again.

Just curious, terrible in what way?

The bad establishment was in Pondicherry. we were paying as much per day as we would have paid in nearby good hotels, where we would have been given breakfast, had our sheets/towels changed daily, etc.

At the bad AirBnB the hosts were unfriendly - almost hostile, we had to beg for things like having the room cleaned and even to get a roll of toilet paper. We were made to feel most unwelcome. I could go on more...

Last edited by AdamR3723 (3-8-2017 6:49 AM)

#17 3-8-2017 10:43 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 587

Good deal.However.
1-not safe like booking.com or hoel.com or etc they could cancel  if the owner do not like you or think your family is big.
2-Not safe like  ( no guards or safety box like hotels).

#18 3-8-2017 11:59 AM

MaricarmenRE
Posts: 1

Re: Experience with Airbnb

No he tenido esta experiencia de viaje, me gustaría probar algún día ... Maricarmen Regueiro ... saludos.

#19 3-8-2017 7:02 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1958

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I have used airbnb for a couple of times and my experience has been positive so far.
However, I think the following points are critical.

1) Even if you arrive earlier than check-in time or leave the city later than check-out, hosts wouldn't keep your luggage.

2) In some countries, there's still legal issues about it.
In Japan, it's against hotel law and in case the host was convicted, your reservation can be canceled even after your arrival and you may get kicked out of the entity.

3) Cancellation policy can be too severe.
Now that I am with my little one and he can get flu or whatever so easily, I would choose a place that would give me a refund in case of unexpected cancellation.

Probably I would stick to hotels now but may consider to use it again in future.

#20 3-8-2017 8:39 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1646

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I have used it in several cities and all have been great. I tend to stay in places where the owner lives not a serviced apartment that they own. In their home is cleaner and usually safer for your belongings and I have met great , helpful people. Read the reviews carefully as well as the reviews if the owner travels.

#21 3-9-2017 4:13 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 116

Re: Experience with Airbnb

Once again people are commenting as if all Airbnb listings are the same. They are not.

--Many hosts choose "Flexible" as their cancellation policy (100% refund up to 24 hours before arrival).
--Many hosts allow 24-hour check-in (usually by lockbox).
--Some hosts allow you to use the kitchen for cooking.

Now the real problem with Airbnb these days is that the company, recently spooked by discrimination claims ("I don't want any gawd-danged blankety-blanks in my house!"), is making it virtually impossible for hosts to screen potential guests. In essence you must now act like a hotel if you want to host.

--The default search now has "Instant Book" activated, so if you don't offer it, you will likely not be seen in search results.
--You must provide the company an explanation every time you decline a booking. ("You don't have a problem with hosting blankety-blanks, do you? Because we don't want to be sued ... er, we don't don't believe in that sort of thing.")
--Host profile pics no longer appear on search results.

Bringing it back full-circle: find a listing you like, from a host with good reviews (preferably Superhost status) and enjoy the experience.

P.S. No one seems to be mentioning the price differential. Airbnb listings are typically 25-40% cheaper than ultra-budget chains like Motel 6 or Super 8, and can be one-tenth the price of a regular hotel. Also, in some cities the hosts are not requied to add on hotel taxes, VAT, etc.

Last edited by CMTinPHX (3-9-2017 4:22 AM)

#22 3-11-2017 5:25 PM

nolan
Posts: 3768

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I've used AirBnB at least thrice but primarily for groups of more than 4 people. In the first instance (Sri Lanka), we were transferred to another property by the host (some issues with the ownership of the first property) to an apartment building where she (host) also lived, although on another floor. She was very gracious and friendly as a host, had a Master's Degree and was still thinking of further studies. Needless to say, she was very knowledgeable and it was a great experience (there were 8 of us in 4 rooms).

On the two other instances (Japan and Korea), we never saw the host, but the instruction manual was quite comprehensive. Thus we enjoyed our privacy and also the experience of living in someone else's home. We got to experience local community life up close, and we weren't far from a convenience store for breakfast (although it's cheaper to go to the grocery if you plan to cook meals). In this way, the AirBnB property was self-sufficient, and once we left, that would be the only time the cleaning crew would come in to prepare the property for the next guest/s.

Oh yeah, and AirBnB came out to 30-50% cheaper than if we stayed at a 3-4 star hotel.

#23 3-11-2017 11:20 PM

karen618
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 212

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I have used it in London, Paris, Busan, Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe. So far I like it and the descriptions are quite to the photos they posted.  I only have a shock with Paris where the male host slept in the Living Hall and he lets me sleep in the room.  Still a good stay and experience.  Read the reviews and look at the location, is it easy access to transportation?

Singapore is my hometown, so far I think it is fine.  Is illegal to rent a room for short stay from the Govt flat, we call it HDB.  You can rent from the private condominium, it is legal.

#24 3-22-2017 7:05 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 361

Re: Experience with Airbnb

I had 5 positiv and one negative experience.  The negative was in Jamaica, my plane was very late, the host did send a mail in the time I was in the plane if I want to be picked up which I didn't get (my phone isn't working there). When I arrived at the house around 9 pm  he didn't open the gate, I could see him sitting at the pool, 3 large  dogs where jumping around, after some time I could open the door somehow, only then he moved. I  had booked 3 nights, he was constantly unpolite and aggressive as long as he was not stoned (fortunately quite often).  He had 4 more guests with them he was quite friendly.

#25 3-28-2017 6:12 AM

terry123kj
Terry
Posts: 3

Re: Experience with Airbnb

We had a US airbnb apartment cancelled by the host. luckly airbnb gave us extra $120 and we had to look for another host. it was a disaster... They are few platform that will allow you to find cheaper hostel or even people offer you a place to stay for free..

In December 2016 i was offered a place to stay for free when i posted on tournac that i was looking for a cheap place to rent for my 3 days stay in brussels.

Board footer