#1 2-26-2017 3:30 PM

Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 253

Pack vs Duffel bag

I have always been a big fan of traveling with a backpack.  I use a 48 L pack and also a shoulder bag for carry on.  It is getting increasingly difficult to have two bags on small regional airlines.  Plus for day trips I find the shoulder bag inconvenient and my pack too large.  And it is a top loader so not suited for day trips.

I found a good price on a 50 L duffel bag with backpack straps.  So I was considering getting it and a smaller 30 L day pack for carry on.  I usually come home with a lot more stuff than when I leave.  So for  regional travel I could pack my day pack inside my duffel bag.  I will not use the duffel bag a lot as a back pack but for the times I do how comfortable will it be compared to a pack?

#2 2-26-2017 6:32 PM

nolan
Posts: 3784

Re: Pack vs Duffel bag

Some duffel bags have comfortable straps they are even better (comfort-wise) than many other backpacks save for the technical ones (which are quite expensive).

Eagle Creek and Osprey are my favorite and recommended brands for duffel bags/backpacks - check these out which double as both:

https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/categ … ffel-bags/

I won't say much yet until this discussion gains more traction.

#3 2-26-2017 6:56 PM

niradcan
Darin
Saskatoon, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 253

Re: Pack vs Duffel bag

I have an  Osprey Kestral pack right now and it is very good.  I am actually looking at an Arc Teryx Carrier 50 L,  based on reviews and price I am leaning towards this bag.  However I like that the Osprey has a "D" opening rather than straight zipper.

I have looked at a Deuter pack and I think they will pack more per Litre than my  Osprey.

#4 2-27-2017 4:58 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3297

Re: Pack vs Duffel bag

I have a leather duffel that I bought in Argentina a decade ago, and it's my main travel baggage.  I don't like wearing a backpack for anything but hiking, so unless a trip is going to include a hike I just take the duffel.

I don't typically bring back a lot of stuff from my travels.  Gave that up years ago.  Most souvenirs are photos, or occasionally very small items.

#5 2-28-2017 12:09 PM

Solomatrix
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 2362

Re: Pack vs Duffel bag

I like backpacks because they're easier to carry when wandering around

#6 3-3-2017 6:49 AM

srosvold
Shawn
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Couch Potato
Posts: 14

Re: Pack vs Duffel bag

I prefer a backpack to a suitcase or a duffel bag because I walk a lot and use public transit. A backpack just makes life easier. This is my favorite. http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/moth … id=1370034

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer