#26 4-14-2017 12:50 AM

Thealterlookout
Couch Potato

Re: Favorite travel books

Beside regularly reading The Lonely Planet Traveler I liked this books a lot:

Tracks by Robyn Davidson
A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (has made me go hiking)
Uebel Unterwegs by Tina Uebel (German)
Couchsurfing im Iran by Stephan Orth (German)

I like to read while on a plane, bus or train, at the pool or during a calm minute in the hotel. From time to time I discover other books I really like smile

#27 4-16-2017 6:00 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Re-reading this post I find it amazing that I forgot to mention the late Eric Newby who was an amazing travel writer.  Certainly his writing is "dated" now although still tremendously interesting.

Newby was a soldier in the Black Watch regiment and subsequently the SBS (British Royal Marines special forces) and was taken prisoner in Italy during World War Two.  He escaped and spent much of the war living with Italian farmers in the Appenine mountains which prompted the book "Love and war in the Appenines" which was the first one of his I read and enjoyed throroughly.

He is probably best known foir "A short walk in the Hindu Kush" although I think my favourite is "Slow boat down the Ganges" which is exactly what the title suggests.  All brilliant stuff and well worth seeking out, the man really was a traveller in the days when it wasn't what it is now.

#28 5-8-2017 5:18 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Whole-heartedly agree with "McCarthy's Bar" one of the funniest things I've ever read. True, it is better than the second book, and sad that he died before completing his third.
Another of the "Round Ireland" books is "In search of the Craic" by Colin Irwin - One Man's Pub Crawl Through Irish Music. Meets up with some great character and names from the Irish music fraternity.
"Desert Solitaire" by Edward Abbey tells of his time working as a ranger in a few of the US national parks. Inspired me to visit Arches and Canyonlands.

#29 5-20-2017 9:20 AM

jthom
John
New Jersey, United States
Couch Potato

Travels with my Elephant by Mark Shand is a great read for travellers

#30 6-8-2017 7:08 AM

santos01
Couch Potato

The Innocent Anthropologist by Nigel Barkley is really excellent and very funny! An absolute must for anyone who has travelled around Africa.

#31 7-20-2017 1:54 AM

drubenj
Couch Potato

On the Road by Jack Kerouac is one of my fave travel books.

#32 7-20-2017 2:50 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

planxty wrote:

Absolutely anything by Michale Palin, I can never get enough of his writing.

Me too, best so far by Palin: Himalaya
But I got a lot of ideas from this post, got some reading to do ...

#33 8-7-2017 1:07 AM

Rajesh9999
Rajesh
Mumbai, India
Couch Potato

There are so many books now a days you can refer. But here it is my Favorite Books list..

* Atlas Obscura: An Explorer’s Guide to the World’s Hidden Wonders

* The Geography of Genius

* The Other Paris

*Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2016

Some of the books are so interesting. Even todays world is full of technology so more than books they prefer on-line blogs or blogger who write these kind of stuff.

You can also check out on  Forummantra.org

#34 8-7-2017 4:43 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

I don't usually read travel books, but I have one that's a bit unusual.  "Kathmandu by Truck" by Barbara Lamplugh.  Story of a cross-country drive by 21 people in a converted bus from London to Nepal.  Copyright 1976.

#35 8-8-2017 8:11 PM

ahouseofsparrows
Crystal
Dominical, Costa Rica
Couch Potato

My all-time favorite is "Turn Right at Machu Picchu" by Mark Adams. Such a great story about the author re-creating the treacherous journey of Hiram Bingham III when he discovered Machu Picchu. It definitely put Peru on my next must see destination.

#36 8-14-2017 5:53 AM

suhasj123
Suhas
India
Couch Potato

thanks for sharing it

#37 8-15-2017 6:04 AM

renz54
Couch Potato

You can learn a lot of things through reading her blogs. You can be guided whats the best thing to do during your travel.. --> Please vist her blog  http://www.adventurouskate.com/

Last edited by renz54 (8-15-2017 6:04 AM)

#38 8-30-2017 10:32 AM

rowlo
Cian
Cork, Ireland
Couch Potato

The Alchemist - 100%

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer