#1 1-17-2017 11:22 PM

pixie_power
Alison
Dublin, Ireland
Couch Potato

Beach near Havana/Trinidad?

Hi there

I'll be spending 2 weeks in Cuba this coming March. We are doing a 6-day tour of western Cuba, but before and after we will have a few days to spend in Havana and also were thinking of going to Trinidad. However, we'd like to spend a day or 2 by the beach, somewhere accessible and not too far in terms if travel time (2-3 hours max) from Trinnidad or Havana. It would be nice to spend a night or two staying by the sea but preferably avoiding tourist-trap resort type places. Anyone know any good spots near either of the two cities?

Thanks!

Alison

#2 1-18-2017 8:17 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Re: Beach near Havana/Trinidad?

Here is a tip I wrote about Playa Ancon, reasonably close to Trinidad.

Playa Ancon is about 14 kms from Trinidad but quite easy to get to. We used a coco taxi the first time and a bicytaxi the second. Cocotaxi is 5 CUC one way and the bicytaxi 8 CUC. There are buses but awkward to find the point of departure, but easy enough to come back with the bus 2 CUC each person and in either direction. There is also the option of a shared taxi. There are always taxis waiting on the parking lot close to the outside bar/resto, and if you have another couple or three people it'll only cost you 3/4 CUC each. Once there, there is of course the Playa Ancon hotels and a marina, but along the beach and even in front of the hotels is free. Slightly away from the main hotel along the beach there are plenty of sun-shades but better to get there in the morning. Also trees for shade if necessary. There is an outside bar/restaurant attached to the hotel but no problem for anyone sitting and ordering. A hamburger and a beer is around 4/5 CUC.

#3 1-18-2017 8:26 AM

pixie_power
Alison
Dublin, Ireland
Couch Potato

Great, thanks! I was hoping to actually stay at the beach thoguh, so are there any beachside towns etc where they have casas particulares or other accommodation that aren't totally touristy?

#4 1-18-2017 8:39 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

yes, there is a couple beaches close to Havana around 45 minutes drive by taxi. taxi charge cuc25 one way.
the beach called Guanabo and Playa del este.

I stayed in Guanabo beach and it was only local go there.  Accommodation and restaurants was very cheap since there were no foreigner restaurants there and food was good.  It was safe and i was travel alone there - single female.

#5 1-19-2017 12:39 PM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Alison, at Playa Ancon there is only the hotel no casas at all.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer