#1 1-17-2017 8:19 AM

Electricity in Mexico

I know that I need adaptors for my electric stuff in Mexico. The question is what do I do about the different voltage. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am pretty crap at these things. Do I need some kind of transformer? Do I buy it over there or in my home country (Israel)?
thanks in advance and excuse my ignorance.

#2 1-17-2017 9:23 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17592

Re: Electricity in Mexico

If you are just talking about mobile phones, tablets, laptops etc you will just need a plug adapter.  No transformer needed.

Things like hair dryers, travel irons etc probably would need a transformer.

#3 1-17-2017 12:22 PM

osgoodst
steve
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1154

Re: Electricity in Mexico

Plugs / electricity are the same as in the USA.  IF you bring your own personal lamp you'll need a transformer.

#4 1-17-2017 2:01 PM

Darfsteller
Das
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 501

Re: Electricity in Mexico

Is best to use transformer anyway just to prevent damage to electronic?

#5 1-17-2017 10:34 PM

Re: Electricity in Mexico

@osgoodst I am not from the US. Our electricity here is 240v.

#6 1-18-2017 9:58 AM

denisx
Douglas
Bedford, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 368

Re: Electricity in Mexico

You should be able to buy an adaptor in your own country. Just look online for the kind that Mexico uses, and find one locally that matches it. If you can't find one, then you can buy one at an airport or in Mexico

piglet44 wrote:

thanks in advance and excuse my ignorance.

#7 1-19-2017 12:18 AM

Re: Electricity in Mexico

Thanks Douglas I already have a couple of adaptors from my previous trip. I was asking if in addition I also need a transformer to change the current from 220v to 170v, or if just the plug adaptor is sufficient.

#8 1-19-2017 12:54 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5950

Re: Electricity in Mexico

It depends on what sort of voltage the device is. Low voltage devices and international devices like iPhones are often OK on just an adapter. I only use an adaptor for most of my electronics on short trips to countries with reliable supply. High voltage devices like hairdryers will need a transformer. But for countries/areas where the supply is unreliable I would use a transformer with surge protection included. In Uganda, for example, they use the same plugs and voltage as the U.K. But I used a surge protector because the surge as you switch from mains power to generator power in a blackout can fry the hardiest computer. So in Mexico I would imagine the cities have a reliable supply but anywhere more remote I'd carry a surge protector. Sorry to add yet more complexity!

#9 1-19-2017 12:55 AM

Re: Electricity in Mexico

Thanks a lot, Sarahelaine. I am not gonna bring my Laptop this time, only mobile phones, and I have a small travel hair dryer with a switch to change voltage. So looks like we are good to go!

#10 1-19-2017 9:12 AM

You're welcome!

piglet44 wrote:

#11 1-19-2017 10:34 AM

Re: Electricity in Mexico

SO what's the answer to my question?

#12 1-19-2017 3:02 PM

westom
Posts: 6

Re: Electricity in Mexico

Do not depend on hearsay.  Every appliance should list its operating voltages.  Portable electronics should operate on any voltage from 85 to 265 volts.  That is what its power supply does.  Make massive voltage variations irrelevant.

If any portable electronics is not that robust, then it should be considered defective.

So, only needed is an adapter to connect your plugs to their receptacles.  Even a transformer is unnecessary and probably less safe.

Motorized appliances (ie hairdryer) may need a switch to select 110 or 220 volts (which is really 120 or 230 volts).  Read numbers (before believing hearsay) that would be printed on every properly designed appliance.

#13 1-19-2017 8:16 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer
Posts: 1646

Re: Electricity in Mexico

If you are not bringing your computers etc...don't worry. Just buy a cheap hair dryer at Walmart in Mexico and be done with all the transformer nonsense. I was in Mexico for a few weeks with not one issue.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer