#1 1-17-2017 4:28 AM

KatieH9048
Katie
Bangkok, Thailand
Couch Potato

Best travel backpack for weekend trips?

I am looking for a good weekend getaway backpack. I currently live in Bangkok, Thailand...so I travel on most weekends.

#2 1-17-2017 5:37 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: Best travel backpack for weekend trips?

It depends on if you're hiking or not.  To be honest, for city breaks, I don't think you need an expensive backpack.  These days if I'm going away on a city break I carry a normal shopping tote with a clean set of clothes and a small wash bag - I want to look as little as possible like a tourist and as much like a local as possible.  As long as it zips so I can leave it in a hotel luggage room if I have to I am happy. 

If you're hiking or carrying heavy photography kit, try some on.  The weight lies differently on each frame and it's hard to tell what is going to suit you - a decent shop should let you try them on with some books or boots or something for weight.  My weekend bag is a jansport 35l I got in 2001, so probably not available, and my longer trip bag is a 75l North Face bag. Those suit me, at 5'3" and relatively slight, but wouldn't necessarily work if I was taller.

#3 2-16-2017 3:11 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Consider the following brands and their line of daypacks:

1) Osprey - https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/categ … day-packs/
2) Eagle Creek - http://shop.eaglecreek.com/backpacks/l/412
3) The North Face - https://thenorthface.hk/collections/equipment-daypacks

and many more brands like Deuter, Kelty, Gregory, etc. etc.

Choosing a daypack is mostly based on personal preference, cost, durability (since it's used often), among others. Here's an article you might want to consider re highly rated daypacks. http://besthiking.net/best-daypacks-2014/

#4 2-16-2017 6:55 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

I mostlly gone for weekend trip either by car or plane. I prefer carry a small trolley with locked, so if you leave something in your hotel room  you can closed it with lock. I don't used daypack in big cities I wear crossbody purse like eastpack to put my cellphone and pocket camera, but if you use DSLR camera it won't fit.

#5 2-16-2017 7:21 AM

DAO
Wakefield, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato

I bought a very large Nike branded rucksack in Singapore in 2006. It has been in over 100 countries across the world and is still holding up. Sadly they don't make the style anymore. Nike do have an excellent website including men's and lady's. Just google Nike Rucksack. They have a lot of styles to choose from. Overall the plus points of mine are large capacity and several very useful pockets including one for papers/documents.

What is does not have is any rigid parts. That just cuts down on your capacity big time.

All the best,

DAO

#6 2-16-2017 7:50 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist

I have a few different backpacks. A couple are what I call travel backpacks 1 around 30ishL and 1 around 55ishL. They are both for when I travel and staying mostly in 1 spot. The great thing about those ones is they have an attached cover for the back that you can use to cover up the straps when you are flying. The 55L came with a detachable daypack. It was great for my Europe trip as I was based at a friend's place in England and when I took off for little weekend trips elsewhere I could just detach the daypack.

I also just bought a new 65L Osprey for multi-day hiking and trips where I will be on the move more. It has the capability to attach daypacks to it. I still have to check if my current hiking daypack can be gerry rigged to make it work. So that will be my new thing is that any daypacks need to be able to attach to the Osprey.

#7 2-16-2017 11:56 PM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

In my opinion the best route are

Germany-Holland-Belgium-France
Germany-Austria-Swiss -Italy
Portugal-Spain-France
LA-San San Diego-San Francisco-Las Vegas

#8 2-17-2017 1:59 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Bojasem wrote:

In my opinion the best route are

Germany-Holland-Belgium-France
Germany-Austria-Swiss -Italy
Portugal-Spain-France
LA-San San Diego-San Francisco-Las Vegas

Lol, the original poster asking about a best backpack for weekend trip big_smile

Cheers

#9 2-17-2017 8:31 AM

77LoveLife66
Dublin, Ireland
Couch Potato

Make sure you get one that is side opening, and not just top-down.
Makes such a difference when your opening your bag on the go to get something out.

#10 2-18-2017 9:40 AM

travelerd
Dia
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Couch Potato

Try looking at some of these:
1) Arc'teryx Altra 65,
2) Osprey Atmos 65 AG,
3) Osprey Xenith 75,
4) Gregory Baltoro 65, and
5) The North Face Banchee 65.

#11 2-19-2017 12:52 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

travelerd wrote:

Try looking at some of these:
1) Arc'teryx Altra 65,
2) Osprey Atmos 65 AG,
3) Osprey Xenith 75,
4) Gregory Baltoro 65, and
5) The North Face Banchee 65.

These are all good weeklong packs, but I think the OP was looking for daypacks and smaller sized ones up to 45 liters. I would carry 65 liter and above packs for at least 3 days, although in the past when I went camping I carried a 100 liter Kelty Arapaho just for a weekend.

#12 2-21-2017 4:27 AM

77LoveLife66
Dublin, Ireland
Couch Potato

Alpine Lowe are excellent as well

#13 2-21-2017 4:34 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

For a weekend trip I don't use a backpack.  A small suitcase or duffel works well, and packing is easier.

#14 2-28-2017 12:09 PM

Solomatrix
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

North Face and Osprey backpacks are good

#15 3-3-2017 6:47 AM

srosvold
Shawn
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Couch Potato

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer