#1 1-11-2017 9:07 PM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Madagascar Casual meetup - May 1, 2018

EDIT as of July 7, 2017: Please read the important announcement further down in this thread.

MEETUP ID HERE - http://www.travbuddy.com/meet-up/view.php?id=1599

This started as a casual invite from Vanessa on her FaceBook profile page last January 8th. Now the interest has grown into almost 10 "going" and 34 "maybes". So it is high time we create the discussion here on the TravBuddy site since not everyone uses FaceBook or is part of the group/event list.

The original date set is May 1, 2018 which is a Tuesday, but as planning goes along, we will likely be able to find a better compromise for a meetup day plus the various associated side trips.

Some of us are planning to go via Mauritius (MRU), then fly into Antananarivo (TNR). So far the cheapest option for those in SEAsia is via AirAsia, when they go on their BIG sale where the cost of a one way ticket from KUL to MRU is about 299 MYR (about USD 67). The roundtrip between MRU and TNR is a bit costly, in the range of USD 500. So the total cost on average of airfare from Asia or Europe would be in the vicinity of USD 600-1000.

This thread is open for discussion, including the side trips pre and post meetup. Options include Mauritius, Seychelles, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, South Africa, and even Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Qatar if taking the big 3 Middle Eastern carriers.

Last edited by nolan (7-7-2017 1:26 AM)

#2 2-2-2017 9:47 PM

bensonryan
Ryan
Yokohama, Japan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Re: Madagascar Casual meetup - May 1, 2018

Hi Nolan,

As this is one of my dream destinations and I'll be closer in proximity, I might consider this one.

-Ryan

#3 2-3-2017 12:34 PM

strangemystic
Madagascar
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

For the flight from and to KL (or Sin) you may check with Air Mauritius; at least for the TNR-KUL-TNR (via MRU) itinerary they have a special fare, so it might also be the case also the other way round. The fare shown on their site is quite high, so maybe it could help to ask at their office in KL.
It seems also that Air Asia will fly Antananarivo soon, they have already an office here.

#4 2-12-2017 2:26 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

strangemystic wrote:

For the flight from and to KL (or Sin) you may check with Air Mauritius; at least for the TNR-KUL-TNR (via MRU) itinerary they have a special fare, so it might also be the case also the other way round. The fare shown on their site is quite high, so maybe it could help to ask at their office in KL.
It seems also that Air Asia will fly Antananarivo soon, they have already an office here.

This is good news, then let's hope the one way fare between MRU and TNR is cheap. Or if AirAsia will make the routing KULMRUTNRKUL or KULTNRMRUKUL and be granted sixth freedom privileges between Mauritius and Madagascar.

#5 2-12-2017 2:26 AM

nolan
Explorer

For those interested in Mauritius - http://travel.cnn.com/mauritius-best-af … on-136561/

#6 2-13-2017 8:31 PM

StupidGuy
Roslan
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster II
Explorer

Air Asia will stop flying to Mauritius

From the news:-
Local lobby behind AirAsia X-Mauritius flight cancellation

AirAsia X Berhad confirmed the suspension of its services otherwise lucrative flights to Mauritius, citing operational restructuring and aircraft usage rationalisation.

But sources told the independent.sg the sudden decision could be due to peer pressure by local ethnic groups, lobbying to the authorities in Mauritius to stop the highly successful flights.

Nevertheless, AirAsia X Berhad today confirmed the suspension of its 3 times weekly
services from Kuala Lumpur to Mauritius. It was the only airline offering direct flights from Malaysia to Mauritius after the Air Mauritius stopped its direct flights last year.

The Malaysian airline said the last Kuala Lumpur – Mauritius service will be operated on 24 March 2017 while the last Mauritius – Kuala Lumpur service will be operated on 25 March 2017.

http://www.theindependent.sg/local-lobb … cellation/

#7 2-16-2017 2:47 AM

nolan
Explorer

StupidGuy wrote:

Air Asia will stop flying to Mauritius

From the news:-
Local lobby behind AirAsia X-Mauritius flight cancellation

AirAsia X Berhad confirmed the suspension of its services otherwise lucrative flights to Mauritius, citing operational restructuring and aircraft usage rationalisation.

But sources told the independent.sg the sudden decision could be due to peer pressure by local ethnic groups, lobbying to the authorities in Mauritius to stop the highly successful flights.

Nevertheless, AirAsia X Berhad today confirmed the suspension of its 3 times weekly
services from Kuala Lumpur to Mauritius. It was the only airline offering direct flights from Malaysia to Mauritius after the Air Mauritius stopped its direct flights last year.

The Malaysian airline said the last Kuala Lumpur – Mauritius service will be operated on 24 March 2017 while the last Mauritius – Kuala Lumpur service will be operated on 25 March 2017.

http://www.theindependent.sg/local-lobb … cellation/

Can't imagine how some local officials can be, based on their comments - http://www.theindependent.sg/ignorant-f … ravellers/

#8 2-19-2017 1:07 AM

nolan
Explorer

So we shall consider options to get to Madagascar via South Africa, Ethiopia or Kenya. Mauritius is still part of those being considered but maybe not the front runner anymore after the pull out of AirAsiaX.

#9 2-19-2017 1:08 AM

nolan
Explorer

bensonryan wrote:

Hi Nolan,

As this is one of my dream destinations and I'll be closer in proximity, I might consider this one.

-Ryan

Ryan - I assume you will plan to get there from Japan, once you've relocated?

#10 2-19-2017 2:40 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

nolan wrote:

So we shall consider options to get to Madagascar via South Africa, Ethiopia or Kenya. Mauritius is still part of those being considered but maybe not the front runner anymore after the pull out of AirAsiaX.

Or straight from Paris....

Though via Kenya or South Africa are tempting options.

#11 2-19-2017 4:38 AM

strangemystic
Madagascar
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

As far as I know Air Mauritius still flies KL (and Sin, same flight). Iwas in KL and Sin last August with them; and the current MK flight time table (valid until 25 March) has 3 flights a week scheduled to KL. My understanding is that Air Asia stopped its service because of the competition to MK (the 'official' explanation is that they did bring to Mauritius as much Asian visitors as they promised).

Another alternative route is via Abu Dhabi and Seychelles (Etihad + Air Seychelles), but don'know the price. Air Madagascar (in partnership with Air Austral) is also flying Guanzhou now, with a stop in Reunion.

#12 2-21-2017 11:02 AM

nolan
Explorer

strangemystic wrote:

As far as I know Air Mauritius still flies KL (and Sin, same flight). Iwas in KL and Sin last August with them; and the current MK flight time table (valid until 25 March) has 3 flights a week scheduled to KL. My understanding is that Air Asia stopped its service because of the competition to MK (the 'official' explanation is that they did bring to Mauritius as much Asian visitors as they promised).

Another alternative route is via Abu Dhabi and Seychelles (Etihad + Air Seychelles), but don'know the price. Air Madagascar (in partnership with Air Austral) is also flying Guanzhou now, with a stop in Reunion.

Thanks for the information on the various options to get to Madagascar. I am sure once we finalize everything the actual fares will give as a better idea of the most cost effective route, as well as the options for
Side trips.

#13 4-27-2017 6:46 PM

nolan
Explorer

I am currently studying if the use of airline alliances RTW or Circle Trips are a cheaper option, considering that airfare to Africa is expensive.

So far I have checked out OneWorld using this sample https://www.oneworld.com/flights/multi- … p-explorer although I have to find a way to maximize the miles with the number of segments allowed on a particular fare.

Something I am thinking of could be MNL (or KUL)-DOH-JNB-Australia/NZ then back to MNL since I don't think I can backtrack Asia on the way back. Or MNL/KUL - JNB - Africa - Europe then back to MNL/KUL. Notice I didn't use Singapore or Bangkok as these aren't OneWorld hubs but Star Alliance hubs (SQ and TG).

#14 4-30-2017 5:51 AM

nolan
Explorer

This was from a few days ago but hopefully they can do something like this for April/May 2018:

http://www.secretflying.com/posts/new-y … roundtrip/

#15 6-18-2017 1:16 AM

nolan
Explorer

Bumping this topic. Lately I've been seeing a few promotions to South Africa so the next question is, how to fly cheap from there to Madagascar?

#16 6-27-2017 1:19 PM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Air Madagascar (appropriately known as Air Mad) stopped the direct flight between Johannesburg and Antananarivo (Tana) at the beginning of 2016.  In terms of reliability and customer service, it was one of the worst airlines I've ever flown with, so I don't feel particularly sad for its passing.
Currently, the best options pricewise between South Africa and Tana are with Kenya Airways via Nairobi.  SA Airlink (a subsidiary of SAA) also runs direct flights from Johannesburg and Tana and Nosy Be.  The latter is a great development for tourism to Madagascar's beach resorts, as it means that there is no longer a need to bounce through Tana to get to Nosy Be - previously this meant transferring to the frequently delayed/rescheduled Air Mad service, which often required an overnight in Tana.

#17 6-28-2017 2:56 AM

nolan
Explorer

Thanks for the update, Cathy.

The thing with African carriers is the amount of detours and backtracking one has to do in order to get to a particular destination. In the past, one would need to fly up to Europe and fly down just to go across the continent from East to West or vice versa. Good thing the airline alliances have made these more bearable, but direct flights are still a challenge.

So based on what you said, Kenya seems to be a good transit point, Kenya Airways has relatively good fares to Asia.

#18 6-28-2017 7:57 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

nolan wrote:

Thanks for the update, Cathy.

The thing with African carriers is the amount of detours and backtracking one has to do in order to get to a particular destination. In the past, one would need to fly up to Europe and fly down just to go across the continent from East to West or vice versa. Good thing the airline alliances have made these more bearable, but direct flights are still a challenge.

So based on what you said, Kenya seems to be a good transit point, Kenya Airways has relatively good fares to Asia.

Yes, Nairobi is a good transit point, and Kenya Airways aren't a bad airline.
Unless you can get a really good fare into Johannesburg - such as some of the deals you highlighted earlier - in which case, SA Airlink makes sense.
One last advantage that both offer is the potential for fabulous side trips, either out of Nairobi or Johannesburg (the latter being much more affordable).

Last edited by harbinger (6-28-2017 7:58 AM)

#19 7-6-2017 6:17 AM

petersindac
Peter
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

Hi Nolan, is also possible for Filipino Passport to have visa on arrival to Madagascar? I will keep an eye on this since I am already in the Middle east. Thanks.. big_smile

#20 7-6-2017 4:21 PM

nolan
Explorer

petersindac wrote:

Hi Nolan, is also possible for Filipino Passport to have visa on arrival to Madagascar? I will keep an eye on this since I am already in the Middle east. Thanks.. big_smile

According to this website, Philippine passport holders can get 30 days visa on arrival in Madagascar.

http://www.philsite.net/visa-free-countries.htm

Last edited by nolan (7-6-2017 4:22 PM)

#21 7-7-2017 1:18 AM

nolan
Explorer

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

After discussing with Vanessa about the planned Madagascar meetup for next year, we have decided to cancel the meetup there and search instead for another location. The main reason I brought this up was because of this recent article regarding the plague in certain parts of Africa. Please read from the link below:

https://www.economist.com/blogs/graphic … ly-chart-1

To quote the article, "Between 2010 and 2015 there were 3,248 cases and 584 deaths. The worst-affected country is Madagascar: three-quarters of all new infections and deaths occur there. And the disease is springing up in new places on the island. In January the World Health Organisation confirmed that 62 cases were reported in districts of Madagascar that had not seen an outbreak since 1950, killing 26 people. The ancient killer may be less deadly than in the past, but it has not gone away."

https://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/1872-width/20170708_WOM968_0.png

So we are looking at other countries, maybe in Africa, for about a similar date in spring 2018. South Africa and Tanzania are still options, because the number of cases is miniscule compared to that of Madagascar and Congo.

Recommendations are welcome. Cheers.

#22 7-7-2017 2:00 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Maybe organise meet up in South Africa or Tanzania.

Those who want to make side-trip to Madagascar can do so.

Cape Town seems obvious choice for meet-up.

#23 7-7-2017 3:32 PM

nolan
Explorer

fransglobal wrote:

Maybe organise meet up in South Africa or Tanzania.

Those who want to make side-trip to Madagascar can do so.

Cape Town seems obvious choice for meet-up.

One of my Travbuddy friends is in Madagascar right now. So far, no issues based on her photos.

In any case, I still am trying to slot in a meetup for Africa. If in Cape Town, then we have khalilamod and MarioBG who are there and can probably help organize a meetup next year.

#24 7-11-2017 12:22 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

Faure (v10) and Andile (andi03) are also well known South African travbuddies.

Lots of useful info in this current thread, especially from harbinger:

http://www.travbuddy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=68085

#25 7-18-2017 2:27 AM

nolan
Explorer

I would like to see what dates or months we can consider ... Cathy (harbinger) said that winter there tends to be wet, especially Cape Town. I was thinking of April 2018 but that might conflict with another trip I am planning to make. But still keeping my options open.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer