#26 1-9-2017 6:36 PM

Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Kaspian is a much cooler name. Vermithrax sounds like a medicine ; ) As Shakespeare said, "What's in a name...". Looks like the Kaspian name might be available now as there is no profile here by that name.

#27 1-10-2017 11:02 AM

gillybob
Award: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Posts: 42

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Great to see so many friends coming here.  I'm finding it really easy to copy tips over from VT for those trying to save content.  It's really easy to get a place (restaurant, hotel, etc.) added when writing your reviews.  At present, mine are all photo-less simply because I'm getting the text over and can add photos from my PC later.

#28 1-10-2017 12:14 PM

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Off-topic since we are in that thread anyway ...

Aside from VirtualTourist, another travel related site (and app) is shutting down by March. I'm referring to WorldMate, which I use to plan my itineraries and keep track of flights and accommodations. Guess I'll have to focus on TripIt and TripCase (which I also have in addition to WorldMate).

Am sure some may be affected but definitely not as dramatic as the VT eventual shutdown.

#29 1-10-2017 1:15 PM

gillybob wrote:

Good to hear the transfer of content is going smoothly, Gilly. You've already earned your first award here too. You may have noticed now that the whole site has opened up to you after winning this award. This is how one gains access to all the features without paying the $10 donation. Of course if members enjoy the site after a time they can always make the donation anyway, as this basically supports the site (servers, maintenance and such). It's entirely voluntary but helps keeping the site going. Other awards one can win that open up the site include: Writer, Photographer, Bedbug, Community Leader, Vox Populi or Spambuster. (Happy, Ambassador and Travelpedian are excluded). Critic is probably the easiest one to earn of those listed as it only takes 15+ reviews and getting 5 smiles total within those 15 reviews.

#30 1-11-2017 4:13 AM

loripori
LORI
Windsor, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 7

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Thanks for the warm welcome to TravBuddy. In a few weeks we will all be abandoned Virtual Tourist orphans. So far I like this site and hope to participate often. I put my heart and soul into making VT pages hoping that it would be there forever as kind of a legacy for my family. Alas it is not to be as all my content will be deleted. Hope to see my many wonderful VT friends join up here so we can keep in touch. Also want to make new friends. Life goes on.

#31 1-11-2017 11:19 AM

maykal
Michael
Saint Andrews, Scotland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer
Posts: 55

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Another soon-to-be-exiled VTer here...and thanks for the welcome. Good to see others have found this site easy to use, so I may start migrating stuff soon. The prospect of starting again after 15 years of writing on VT is a bit daunting though!

#32 1-12-2017 8:19 PM

loripori wrote:

Great to hear, Lori, and glad your experience here on TravBuddy has been a positive one so far. This forum can continue as a connecting point for VT friends that sign up here on TravBuddy. It's a shame that they can not at least archive the VT site so its content remains preserved for some time to come as it is a wealth of good travel info written by people like yourself that imparted their knowledge and wisdom on so many travel sights and places.

#33 1-12-2017 8:26 PM

maykal wrote:

Welcome, Maykal, and hope you find transferring your travel content here to TravBuddy an easy and rewarding process. It must indeed be a daunting task to be faced with finding a new home for your content. I suppose it's important to back up as much of it as you can before the site closes. That way you will have it to post here if you decide you like TravBuddy or another site that is worth investing time in. Of course, it's not all about the content, and the people are important as well. I hope other VT members find a welcome home here at TravBuddy for their content, keeping friends from VT here and making new friends with those in TravBuddy community.

#34 1-14-2017 5:41 AM

WalterC
Walter
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 555

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Welcome to the VT members who have joined this site. Sorry to hear about that site shutting down, and kind of scary, as I thought that site would be in better shape, since they were owned by a well-known site, Tripadvisor.

I've also had trouble uploading photos lately as well, as this seems to occur every few days.

#35 1-15-2017 11:47 AM

KirstyS2427
Kirsty
Posts: 3

i made it ......

#36 1-16-2017 6:39 PM

KirstyS2427 wrote:

i made it ......

Welcome, Kirsty, and hope you enjoy the TravBuddy site!

#37 1-17-2017 4:15 AM

piglet44
Israel
Award: Writer IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 40

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Thanks for the warm welcome, Brian! It has been a traumatic couple of weeks for VTers, since the announcement came through. I wanted to dash in and madly save all my content, but I have a visitor from China staying with me and we are taking her touring around the country so no time.. Then I started looking and saw that my early stuff was pretty minimal and that the tips were pretty dated (2001) and that the later stuff I have also blogged about (I started my own travel blog in 2011) So all in all I have managed to salvage most of it and will gradually post anything worthwhile on here.
Great to have another home to go to online. Thanks TB community!

#38 1-17-2017 1:15 PM

Darfsteller
Das
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 501

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

I am too refugee or exile of VT now. I not very active to post the travels, but enjoy to read about places on VT and TravBuddy since I become members of these sites. Very good places and sorry for VT I just find out it will close down. It is too bad and many are sad for this. I will miss to explore on VT, but TravBuddy will stay open I hope.

#39 1-17-2017 6:48 PM

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

@piglet44 - My pleasure and hope you enjoy the site here. It is true some content can get dated especially for hotels and restaurants, but others like historic sites, parks, and some museums are sort of timeless. Look forward to future postings on your salvaged content and trust they will settle in nicely to a new home here.

@Das - No worries and no requirement to post content here. Read away and enjoy! There are a fair number of members who log in to the site to see what is going on with members travels, makes a few smiles and comments like yourself, but otherwise don't have many reviews or blogs. We hope that TravBuddy will stay open for a long time to come!

#40 1-22-2017 8:14 PM

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Some info for VT members: If you wish to invite other people to join the site, you can do so with a convenient "invite" link and each member on TravBuddy has a unique one. You can find that special link (to give to others) on the right side of the invite page:

The advantage is that if the person you invite uses the unique link you give them to sign up, then they are automatically added as friends to your profile. Convenient, yes? This unique link just has a member id# attached to it, identifying you as the member inviting and hence connecting you and the member you invite as friends.

#41 1-24-2017 8:22 PM

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Profile & other photo uploads: Some members are having issues uploading photos (especially profile photos) and have posted in the help & feedback asking for advice, so thought I would put information here for members new to the site. There may be a peculiar issue with the profile photo uploader or just related to volume of users signing on, but usually resolves itself in time, so members should just be patient and try again later. Admittedly, it's not a good intro to the site to have a problem right off, but all I can suggest is the guidance and advise stated here - keep a clean browser and/or be patient.

(1) If a profile photo issue, just wait a while and try later (next day if necessary).
(2) If a blog/review photo issue, log out of TravBuddy, log back in and try again.

*Note: What is meant by a 'clean browser'?
Clear ALL browser data everyday when finished, then quit the browser. This keeps it issue free with websites mostly. It's a good thing to do anyway so all that is in there (history, cookies, cache, site preferences and such) doesn't accumulate and also so other sites can't see everywhere you have been and what you looked at.

#42 1-26-2017 12:43 PM

BASAIC
Jim
Arizona, United States
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 22

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

I was BASAIC on VT (and here).  Had posted 10,000+ tips over the last decade.  Hope to find a new home here.  Frustrated though due to photo upload issues.

#43 1-26-2017 8:36 PM

spocklogic wrote:

Not to mention that if FIVE of your invitees sign up for TravBuddy using the link, you will get the coveted "Ambassador" Award - one of the most difficult awards to get!

#44 1-26-2017 8:36 PM

spocklogic wrote:

#45 1-30-2017 8:18 PM

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

That's true too, Nolan, and Ambassador is one of those awards that keeps members from earning all 11 award categories here for entering Eleven Heaven (EH), and only 85 members on TravBuddy have achieved EH to date. Still waiting for the first EH member to join the club for 2017. See The Eleven Heaven Club.

#46 1-31-2017 3:36 PM

aitana_vt
Carmen
Alicante, Spain
Posts: 2

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Hello to all VT members coming to this site. It is nice to meet you again, after the shock of the closure news. Thanks to Brian for the welcome and his helpful messages.

#47 2-1-2017 9:07 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 43

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

At Brian (spocklogic)'s suggestion I am repeating here some observations I made in a VT forum thread about alternative sites to VT. The below are just my early impressions as I settle in here and start to understand what is similar to VT and what is different, and also how we refugees can shape the formats here to suit the way of presenting our travels we are use to.

"I think you will find TB closer to VT in what you can and can't do there. It takes some getting used to as the format looks very different, but it's quite easily shaped to create something like what we had here. I'm using what they call journal entries, which you can link together in a blog, to serve something like the VT intro pages. You can then write reviews and if these are for the same location and date they appear beneath that journal entry - have a look at this to see what I mean

The downside is that you need to be a little elastic with the truth when it comes to dates if you want the review to attach itself to a specific page. But the plus is that you can then string these entries together to create something like the VT itinerary - the page I linked above is from one I'm building about our recent Chile trip. Another plus is that there is no real limit on photos for reviews!

People can comment on the journal entries, individual reviews and individual photos, or they can simply "smile" at them (a bit like the Facebook "like") Reviews can also be given a thumbs up or down for their helpfulness.

There are forums although I find it confusing that these are not broken down below country level, and you can't follow them as far as I can tell - you just have to dip in. But you can register as a helper for any country you know something about, which would be sort of the same thing I guess - I haven't done that yet.

The thing about paying is a bit of a red herring - as someone else has said, once you receive an award you open up the whole site. I guess the payment thing may discourage spammers, and also of course it's a way of supporting the site. If I decide to stick with it (and I almost certainly will) I may decide to pay anyway as I think it's only fair to contribute. But it's individual choice, not compulsory.

As to the awards, these are a mix of quantity and quality - e.g. for the initial "critic" award (imho the easiest to get) you need to have written 15 reviews and got 5 smiles. There's no ranking system other than a top 11 (for some reason I haven't figured out yet) and it doesn't seem to be horribly competitive - just a bit of fun."

To a query about reusing VT content I replied "You could do that I'm sure. The trick would be to pick a specific date - maybe the first day you spent in the place if there for more than one day. Write a journal entry a bit like the VT intro, giving some basic info about the place and your overall impressions. You then choose "write a review" and give the location and date as being the same as your journal entry, and hey presto, the finished review is at the foot of that entry!

Actually following the writing process, uploading photos etc., is quite clear. There are fewer categories than VT had but most things would transfer to one of them (they cover hotels, restaurants, nightlife, sights and attractions, and a cacth-all general category for things like transport, money etc). Adding a new place is actually easier than it was for VT, and there's no template, you just write in the box. There's a lower limit for the number of characters (to stop people just posting things like "This is a cool place")"

And finally I added:
"I forgot to mention another cool function. You can see a list of ALL your reviews and filter it by type (eg hotels) and see them all plotted on a map.

And another is that you can create lists, eg "My favourite restaurants" or "The best of Chile" and group all your reviews of that topic there regardless of where they are on the site."

Hope this is all as useful as Brian thinks it will be!

#48 2-1-2017 9:10 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Posts: 43

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

In case this is also of use (please ignore if not!), I wrote the following for a VT friend who was struggling a bit here:

"Blog summary - I'm using this as I would have done the intro to an itinerary on VT, describing a trip briefly in overall terms.

Journal entries - these are the equivalent (for me) of the VT intro pages, but as well as breaking them down by destination you can also do so by date. In some cases, when I've had a lot to write, I've split a destination over several entries, one for each day we were there. So far I haven't done any entries that span several days but you could easily do so. Some of the material I might have put into a "Favourites" review on VT I'm using in these entries.

The photos you upload to a journal entry are added automatically. If it's a short entry only one will appear, if it's long there will be more. The rest are included below. By using the "Rearrange" button just above the photos you can fix it so the ones you want to appear within the entry do so, as it always takes the first few in order.

Reviews - when you write a review, if the destination AND the date are the same as one of your journal entries, the review will automatically appear beneath that entry. Otherwise it won't. So to get the same "effect" as VT you sometimes have to be a little elastic with the truth - e.g. if you wanted to do an entry about a city where you spent two days and include the restaurants you ate in each night, you would have to put the same date on both even though you actually visited one a day later

You can add as many photos to the review as you want, but you need to add them separately from any you put in the journal entry - if you want to use the same image you have to upload it twice (or so I think).

There are also;
Lists - I haven't experimented with these yet but as I create more content I will. You can use these to pull together a group of reviews - in order to find them easily or present them differently. So I may do one of "favourite places I've stayed" or "birds" or ... One friend is using these to pull all her reviews on one place together, as they are scattered by date."

#49 2-1-2017 9:37 AM

HORSCHECK
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 118

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Sarah, thanks a lot for your really helpful summary of your impressions of the site. I am pretty sure it is very useful for others. - However, it looks like you are still not allowed to post links here. i am not quite sure when this opens up to you as a professional spammer ...ehhhm, sorry,  I meant travel writer. *winkygrin*

#50 2-1-2017 12:08 PM

sim1
Simone
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 2

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Thanks for the observations Sarah! Very helpfull! I am slowly getting a grip on the different possibilities of TB, but your observations help me to fill some of the gaps that I had!
// Simone