#1 1-7-2017 12:45 PM

Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Somewhat shocking to hear Virtual Tourist (VT) will shut down operations at the end of February 2017. Speaking on behalf of the TravBuddy (TB) community here, we would like to welcome new members who may be migrating from VT to TB. This forum thread can serve as place for VT members to connect with each other and to interact with the TB community at large here in getting started.

As a member of VT myself since 2013, I am spocklogic there too (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/17aac8/). I offer my assistance to any VT members who have questions about TB here. I have written some guides to TravBuddy (in blog form) that may be useful:

TravBuddy - 101: The Definitive Guide
TravBuddy - 102: The Advanced Guide

A thread devoted to the TravBuddy user guides is also available in the Help & Feedback forum:

TravBuddy User Guide

While a sad time for VT members, we hope they may find a new home here on TB. The community of people here at TB are welcoming and friendly, and trust the experience here is worth embracing!

Last edited by spocklogic (1-7-2017 1:14 PM)

#2 1-7-2017 2:25 PM

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

You're very welcome, Myriam, and I hope that Vt'ers will enjoy a new home here at TravBuddy for sharing their travels and interacting with like-minded travelers.  Members can blog, post reviews, participate in forums  and more, similar to ways to on VT. There is a badge/award system too, and though somewhat different than VT, still enjoyable for milestones on posting material. Explore and enjoy here!

#3 1-7-2017 2:33 PM

HORSCHECK
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 118

Hello Brian,

Thanks a lot for this welcome message to former VirtualTourist members. Your guides can be indeed very helpful to new members.

Cheers from snowy Germany,

Chicago, Illinois
Award: Critic I
Posts: 10

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

And a grateful thanks from me.

#5 1-7-2017 2:50 PM

donna_in_india

Hi Brian -

Thanks for the welcome. We were all pretty shocked to find out that VT was shutting down and all of our hard work would be deleted. Most members are scrambling to copy their tips - I am sure a good amount of people will run out of time. Some of us have already joined TB and I imagine many others will follow in the next month or two.

I'll read your blogs. I am trying to find out how to "add a friend" but haven't had much luck figuring that out.

#6 1-7-2017 4:26 PM

Hi Donna,

I would advise VT members to go to each of their travel pages and then do a File -- > "Save Page As..." and then choose "Web Page Complete" or "Web Page, HTML Only". I recommend the later for just capturing the page without all the photo thumbnails and extra stuff that just take up memory. This will have to be done for each review/tip as well. Possible to capture all of ones content like this in the remaining time, though those that have a very large amount will take some long and tedious work to get it done.

Regarding adding friends, just go to the members profile page and look under their profile photo. Should be options there like "Send Private Message", "Add as Friend", etc. Then the other member has to accept, of course.

#7 1-7-2017 5:45 PM

littlesam1
Larry
Baltimore, Maryland

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Thanks for welcome Brian.  Now to go search for everyone.

#8 1-7-2017 5:56 PM

Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

As an ex VT member, and a long time member here on TB, I second Brian's welcome.
Glad to have you all!
Don't be strangers...we are all super friendly.

#9 1-7-2017 6:02 PM

hikerpark
Mark
Parkville, Maryland

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Thank you, Brian.  I like this site already.  I just wish we could upload photos.

#10 1-7-2017 6:25 PM

vulindlela wrote:

hikerpark wrote:

You should be able to.
Are you having trouble?

Sorry to hear you're having trouble uploading photos, Mark. The trouble is probably just a temporary issue. The TravBuddy site does do a site wide update on Saturdays, so could be part of the reason. Some issues with uploading photos does occur occasionally on TravBuddy, but is usually always a temporary thing. Perhaps try again tomorrow and hopefully it should be working fine by then.

At any rate, may help to describe what is happening when you do try to upload a photo. How does TravBuddy respond?

#12 1-8-2017 5:00 AM

RogerB1903
Roger
Illogan, England
Posts: 5

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Hi Brian, as a present VT member, thanks for this info. I have quite a bit of data there, do you know if it's possible to transfer all the information from VT to here at the push of a button, or is that too hopeful !

#13 1-8-2017 1:35 PM

german_eagle
Dresden, Germany
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 17

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Thank you for the welcome, Brian. I (still) am german_eagle on VT, same here.

TravBuddy looks promising so far. For a while there won't be much content from me here since I'm still busy saving my VT content.

Cheers from freezing Germany.

#14 1-8-2017 1:51 PM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Simone
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 2

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Thanks Brian for the warm welcome!
Simone

#16 1-8-2017 3:39 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 269

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Thanks for the welcome! Here is another homeless VTer seeking refuge...

#17 1-8-2017 4:17 PM

ricky52
Huddersfield, England

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

I am so glad that there is somewhere for us old VTers to go. Although my travel days are over, I still enjoyed VT. I have now moved all of my content from VT and will look at putting some of it on here. Still the same old ricky52.

#18 1-8-2017 4:25 PM

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

To be honest, this site has lost tons of folks to Facebook, just like VT.
I would say this site peaked around 2009, and at the time, had a good 200 very active members.
The active memberships is down to 20 at best now.

If I recall, the VT ranking system was by user content.
On here, it is about giving.  If you want to move up in ranks, it is about giving smiles and comments to others.
One could have a million photos, but without smiling, you will not gain much rank.

Once again, welcome, and enjoy!

#19 1-8-2017 7:49 PM

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Good to hear from some more VT members here - welcome all! Seems the profile photo issue from yesterday has resolved itself - very good!

I'm sure we all look forward to some travel content posting to come, though preserving your VT content is a priority I'm sure for the time being. Unfortunately, no magic button to to do it in one fell swoop, so to speak. Copy and paste is one way, but probably easier to just save the page source / html to have a duplicate copy on your computer of what is on VT. I cover some of this technique in the TravBuddy 102 guide and is a general technique whether here on TB or on VT. See Backing up reviews & blogs and specifically #1 on backing up reviews.

Regarding Jeremy's comment on activity here on TravBuddy, it may be tru there are perhaps 20-25 so called "Power Users" here posting content on a regular basis, but a fair number that post on occasion too. It certainly isn't the level of activity it was as recently as a few years ago. Facebook has been responsible for some of that decline, though I've never considered that a good platform for travel content. Facebook Groups, in particular, seem to draw even active members away for periods of time. This has likely been an issue on VT as well.

To put some of this into context and relate it to Jeremy's reference to awards, I have kept some data on award activity and post this in the Eleven Heaven TravBuddy forum group, see The Eleven Heaven Club. On the latest page are some stats on awards won over various years I compiled the data for in 5 different years. One can get a sense of activity from this also.

If anyone has particular questions that are not answered in the TravBuddy guides, feel free to ask them here or post in the TravBuddy Help & Feedback forum. Otherwise, a good way to start out here is with smiles & comments to make new friends. Smile on profile pages (a particularly good way to break the ice), photos, blog entries or reviews. Comments are always welcome too. And most of all, just have fun here...

#20 1-8-2017 9:34 PM

Zagnut66
Bill
Northern Virginia, United States
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 765

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Facebook is killing off everything.

TravBuddy is a great site, even if it is bit dated.

A good way to find the active members is to check the forums and front page with the latest blog and review postings.

#21 1-9-2017 12:30 AM

german_eagle
Dresden, Germany
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 17

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Frankly, I cannot imagine putting any content on FB. It looks like a good number of VTers migrate to Travbuddy, this will cause quite a lot activitiy, I am sure! :-)

#22 1-9-2017 4:32 AM

nolan
Posts: 3785

vulindlela wrote:

Glad to have you all!
Don't be strangers...we are all super friendly.

I am also an ex-VT member, been around since 2008 (AFAIK) but haven't really posted much there since I wasn't traveling much back then. Coincidentally, in 2012 I found TravBuddy when searching for travel companions and meetups for a failed Laos trip, but stuck around for a while before becoming active here. Now I finally made the Laos trip in February 2015 with 4 other TravBuddies who are now good friends of mine.

Welcome to all VirtualTourist folks! Enjoy the TravBuddy site, interact with the rest of the friendly, helpful and fun-loving TravBuddies! I can assure you as long as this site is up, ex VTs like Brian and Jeremy will be the first to greet you!

#23 1-9-2017 10:17 AM

gillybob
Award: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Posts: 42

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Glad to find a new home - looking forward to some RW hook-ups.

#24 1-9-2017 10:34 AM

ElenaKKKK
Elena
Ukhta, Russia
Posts: 3

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Thank you, guys for welcoming. Will be glad to answer questions concerning trips to Russia, frankly the map of my interior travels is rather minimal  last years, but if  I can't advice as local, I can help to find information in Russian internet)))

#25 1-9-2017 6:15 PM

Kaspian
Edward
North Bay, Canada
Posts: 4

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

I've had an account here for a few years... Can't remember exactly why I needed it.  And, ummm... Yeah, "Kaspian" was already taken even back then.  OK, OK, I know this name's not even in the ballpark as elegant!  hmm

Board footer