#1 12-23-2016 1:20 AM

FarSide16
Slovakia
Couch Potato

Seoul shopping recommendations for tourists?

Hi,

we went to Seoul about 5 years back and had a great time shopping at Doota. We're flying to Seoul again tomorrow and are looking forward to revisiting Doota but found out that the general prices there have spiked. So we're wondering if anyone could suggest some other places, not necessary where we can get a great shopping experience and see&buy Korean stuffs.

Thanks in advance! smile

#2 12-24-2016 9:42 PM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Re: Seoul shopping recommendations for tourists?

I lived in Korea for a year and I haven't heard of a Doota neighborhood... but best bet in Seoul for shopping as far as my experience is Myeongdong/Namdaemun neighborhood.

Last edited by TravelingChris (12-24-2016 9:42 PM)

#3 12-24-2016 10:57 PM

companyofhouseelves
Romania
Couch Potato

TravelingChris wrote:

I lived in Korea for a year and I haven't heard of a Doota neighborhood...

Doota (Doosan Tower) is one of the largest fashion malls at Dongdaemun Market.

#4 12-25-2016 4:24 AM

Lupobianco
Andy
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Itaewon (on line 6) is worth a look for some shopping.   There are quirky antique shops, Korean fashion,  International shoes &  clothes (both real and fake) as well as Korean arts and crafts (ceramics etc.)   Some really good quality often sits close to cheap junk.  If you don't find anything at the shops, you can always find something to eat.  Itaewon has restaurants from round the world.

For more traditional items (especially antiques and Korean ceramics) I recommend Insadong area.  Again, there are many great restaurants too, if the shops don't work out!

Last edited by Lupobianco (12-25-2016 10:50 AM)

#5 1-11-2017 3:38 AM

Jhon_Carter
Couch Potato

1)    Try to hit at least KRW30, 000 on each receipt because that’s the minimum sum allowed for tax refunds.
2)    Card it: - make sure that your card doesn’t have overseas charges.
3)    Bring your own recycled/shopping bag - you will need it since you will be shopping a lot.
4)    Bring cash
5)    Try to bargain moderately.
6)    Be polite.

#6 2-12-2017 12:32 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

I also recommend the Myeongdong area (flea market) one of the biggest shopping market in Seoul. A lot of Korean stuff to be found. You can bargain, but without knowledge of Korean is not easy

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer